• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can also confirm the covert twill from last year are a little bit slimmer, especially considering they're "high rise" and pleated.

However, since the cavalry twill trousers you guys seem to be speaking of don't exist I would say those are infinitely slimmer.
what's the difference?

ptfly

Reaction score
I believe covert is the use of two color yarns (jaspe'/twisted yarn) in a twill. I think it is usually a single angled twill effect.
Cavalry twill is a weave structure. I would have to look in my weaving book but it is usually a steep angle and I usually recognize from a two line steep twill effect.
They are close cousins.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mbb355

Reaction score
In my experience as a noob and layperson, coverts and cav twills are very similar, but coverts have a bit more sheen and appear dressier. Since I prefer matte fabrics, I tend to prefer cav twills. Coverts often do have more complexity/depth of color than cav twills. Ultimately both are great and possible even the best trousers. Flannels are so bound up with fall/winter, but cav twills and coverts can be light enough to wear year-round, with all the elegance, drape, and versatility of flannels.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to S&M

Are there big differences between S&M slim and contemporary fit ?
I wear 38R Lazio for suitsupply , which fit shall i go for ?

Thanks

I find that S&M Contemporary fits almost exactly the same as Suit Supply Havana in the same size (in chest and mid-section fits about identical to Havana, S&M has perhaps a tiny more cloth in the back, slightly fuller arms, and slightly longer arms).

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
what's the difference?
I believe covert is the use of two color yarns (twisted) in a twill and not a weave structure.
Cavalry twill is a weave structure. I would have to look in my weaving book but it is usually a steep angle.

They're both twills, but as ptfly says covert is specifically a twill with two different colors in the yarn. That mottled yarn can be used for both the warp and weft, or for just the warp.

Cavalry twill is a double twill. There's two lines of warp next to each other that make a small boxy pattern along the diagonal of the twill. The pattern might be more or less visible depending on the thickness of the yarn, but on winter weight cavalry twill it's unmistakable.

cavalry-twill-example.jpg

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads