• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just thought about this now... What if @spiermackay experimented with brushed merino wool flannel shirts, both in solid and gingham/plaid? Could even just add it to MTO now and try it OTR next fall/winter. I don't remember the last time I've seen a wool flannel out in the wild, mainly all brushed cotton now, along with a boxy fit. Although not sure who here would buy one

pickergc

Reaction score
You're welcome, mane. I bought the mint green flannel sportcoat as a separate and am excited about the temperature dropping in a couple months so I can break it out. How did you find last year's run of the calvary twill? I have the same pair you're wearing and found them surprisingly slim for the contemporary cut. And you're convincing more with the Morjas. It's going to be all suede everything for my footwear section.
I remember there being issues with the cavalry twills being overly slim, but I didn't have any really. I'm a 38 waist, but my legs are probably slimmer, relative to my waist that I didn't have much issue. I think it was the dudes who don't skip leg day that had the problems ? I guess they're probably slimmer than my others, but nothing really unwearable.

hschrapel

Reaction score
You're welcome, mane. I bought the mint green flannel sportcoat as a separate and am excited about the temperature dropping in a couple months so I can break it out. How did you find last year's run of the calvary twill? I have the same pair you're wearing and found them surprisingly slim for the contemporary cut. And you're convincing more with the Morjas. It's going to be all suede everything for my footwear section.
So was it just this run of cavalry twills that were unusually slim? I got a 33 contemporary in both the cavalry twill and the flannel, both being my first S&M trousers, and they unfortunately slim. I'm usually a 31 inch waist, but work out extensively so I'm used to things not fitting exactly how I want them, but I thought both sizing up AND going contemporary would, worst case, be loose so that I could atleast taper them

Konnor

Reaction score
98BDFA19-AE1F-4854-BD0E-830AEF5D58BD.jpg

169EF1B0-59D0-45E6-B8B9-3743B82D9B9A.jpg

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was it just this run of cavalry twills that were unusually slim? I got a 33 contemporary in both the cavalry twill and the flannel, both being my first S&M trousers, and they unfortunately slim. I'm usually a 31 inch waist, but work out extensively so I'm used to things not fitting exactly how I want them, but I thought both sizing up AND going contemporary would, worst case, be loose so that I could atleast taper them

Hmmm... yeh, seems so. The FW '19 drop of the calvary twills seemed to skew slim, even for contemporary. The rest of my contemporary trousers fit consistent except for those. Haven't taken them to the tailor so hopefully we can work with them.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score

I can also confirm the covert twill from last year are a little bit slimmer, especially considering they're "high rise" and pleated.

However, since the cavalry twill trousers you guys seem to be speaking of don't exist I would say those are infinitely slimmer.

Will23

Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with letting S&M blazers out from the back seam? And trousers ?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Marling & Evans FW cloth selections are now in the MTO section.

This might be my fav right now, loving the low gorge and one button cuffs. Other details on this one include Milanese buttonhole and extra shirring on the shoulders.

FA6D4DF7-4510-41B5-8986-914002BD9CE0.jpeg
68A83C21-237B-4D1F-BFE7-7F22CBA0F0BB.jpeg

mbb355

Reaction score

This might be my fav right now, loving the low gorge and one button cuffs. Other details on this one include Milanese buttonhole and extra shirring on the shoulders.

View attachment 1463571 View attachment 1463572
Looking good, such a great cloth! Way more windowpane patterns should take inspiration from this cloth

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can also confirm the covert twill from last year are a little bit slimmer, especially considering they're "high rise" and pleated.

However, since the cavalry twill trousers you guys seem to be speaking of don't exist I would say those are infinitely slimmer.
Ha! That's fair. Appreciate you keeping us on track with the different twills.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1463571 View attachment 1463572
Idk why, but I feel like this would look good with suede elbow patches...

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, this might get out of hands for me.

How do you specify these things and what do S&M charge for the effort?

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, this might get out of hands for me.

How do you specify these things and what do S&M charge for the effort?

you can specify in the notes. If you go with full canvas the Milanese buttonhole is free when requested. No charges for the low gorge or extra shirring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads