• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamie411

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up one of the washed cotton sportcoats, though my typical 40R Slim isn't available - is there that much difference with the 40 contemp? Anything tailoring can't fix?

i usually buy the Slim 40 but have bought some Contemporary from time to time - in both suits and sportcoats. I much prefer the Slim fit overall - the Contemporary feels a bit more roomy throughout. This includes through the chest, waist, and arms. I find these differences a bit more “acceptable” in my suits but have decided not to buy anymore Contemporary. The differences are fairly subtle, but for me at least, they’re enough that I won’t compromise.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see, pretty sure they're horn.
Here is a better image.
View attachment 1436158
Yea okay, better photo. Looks like that is light horn you got compared to the darn horn. Send Spier an email as they reply more often than Rick on here as he is only on here for few occasions due to being busy a lot. Maybe they can send you some buttons or something if that's the only issue

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I wish there are more extra slim pants offered. The extra slim is more normal slim in other brands which is what I prefer. I've had to taper many SM pants in the past.
I have to agree, comparing these chino's to the chino's of other brands the "extra slim" is definitely more of a traditional slim fit from other brands. However, more of a classic taper from knee down. Maybe the smaller sizes in the future could have slightly more taper from knee down, personally

pmestrad

Reaction score
I have the opposite perspective. I really wish they had an athletic or fuller fit. I have to go up 2 or 4 inches in contemporary just to get a comfortable fit in the thighs and calf. Even contemporary fit feels like a slim fit to me.
I agree with this 100%. I have to buy a 35 contemporary and then tailor the waist to a 31-32 in order to get them to fit me. Then I usually have to taper the calves a touch as well. Would love an athletic fit. I am sure that Rick has looked into whether or not there is a market for this though.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what I am getting from the people that wear the chino's is this, possibly 3 fits: Contemporary, Athletic, and Slim. Maybe adjust the contemporary in some way to suit those that wear it. Athletic is the current slim fit, but with more room in the seat and thigh with slight taper to balance proportions. Then with the current "Extra Slim" becoming the slim fit, maybe with a slight more taper from knee down. Thoughts everyone? @spiermackay

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S&M SC, shirt and trousers.

ULCajun

Reaction score
As much as I’m loving the full traditional seersucker I’m failing to picture the jacket as a separate. I’d obviously wear the trousers more often. Any ideas how to pair it? I’m thinking I should just go with the natural linen jacket instead.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I’m loving the full traditional seersucker I’m failing to picture the jacket as a separate. I’d obviously wear the trousers more often. Any ideas how to pair it? I’m thinking I should just go with the natural linen jacket instead.
Based on geography, I’m sure you have more ideas about seersucker than any of us. Can’t you just walk through the Garden District and take notes? ?

tripreed

Reaction score
@spiermackay I may have missed it, but are high rise flannel trousers coming for the Fall? I suddenly got a bee in my bonnet for a pair, even though it won't be cool enough to wear them down here for at least 2.5 more months...

shirtandty

Reaction score
Has anyone requested gold/brass buttons on an MTO sportscoat?

If so, would you please post a photo. Thanks ?

cale.robertson

Reaction score
Bottoli brown slub mix - fresh out of the box picture (ft. S&M denim shirt)
F88C61E1-DCE0-4D69-85DE-CC6CCEB7D05A.jpeg

Great fabric, will be very versatile. Here’s a close up shot:
88786787-7A83-47F2-A117-1AAFF4C26FA6.jpeg

It seems to fit pretty well, just need to shorten the sleeves. However, there’s a bit of extra fabric bunching up behind my upper arm, maybe you all could help me understand this better (ie what can a tailor do to fix it - is it worth fixing.?)
Here’s a picture from behind where you can see the bunching. I’m standing completely neutral:
A661DF02-730B-48EA-8501-DC181E93ED4B.jpeg

And here’s a picture without the jacket on, just in case it helps:

08392C81-E573-4F83-8DB1-51DC1275EE6B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads