• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score

EddieK

Reaction score
So customer service just told me that the shirt factory opened up this week.
But I have a bad feeling it might close again by end of week.
Let's hope not!

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a versatile suit which will basically replace my old Jos A Bank suit I bought years ago. It developed a rip recently in the leg area. Was looking to find one that I can wear for weddings, funerals, company events, Cruises, and occasionally nice places. Budget is around $350 max.

I was measured by a local tailor.

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

Not sure which one of these to get, higher quality, or best colour to go with.

$279 Charcoal Gray Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 medium gray Spier and Mackay contemporary.

$279 Medium Gray Shark Skin Spier and Mackay

$279 Blue texture Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 Marine Blue Spier and Mackay contemporary

$379 Blue Hatch Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Medium Blue Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Blue Mix Sharkskin Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$255 for the Jcrew Deep Navy Italian Wool classic chest 42 R, slim pants 36 I got it during an overlap sale. It seems to fit ok, but i can still return it.

$170 J crew Charcoal ludlow American wool suit 42 S

$299.40 Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald two button suit 1818 Gray 42S

$359 Brooks Brothers Regent 1818 Brookscloud Grey textured suit in 42 or 43 R.

Would a size 42 or 44 be better with Spier and Mackay with my measurement of 43 chest? I am open to other brands within the same price range too. One tailor I went to said the 42s jacket length was fine, but also said the 42r jacket length was fine too. I ordered the J. Crew one and can return it since I saw there was a sale for a few hours in case it was good. Closest Brooks Brother is closed so I can't get fitted there to see if Brookscloud would fit and what my measurements actually are with them. I live in Houston so something that would be nice all year long would be nice.
Great questions. For colour, you’ll be happiest with something dark, because it’s more formal and also more class and less flash. For quality you’ll find Spier and MacKay to be above and beyond anything at a similar price. For fit, the Spier contemporary is the most forgiving. If you ask, they can sometimes swap out the pants for a different size. So if you can fit a 42 jacket you aren’t stuck with too-tight 36 pants.

That Blue Mix Sharkskin is lovely and super classic. And @pickergc is right about using the first-time free returns policy. It’s designed with you in mind.

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a versatile suit which will basically replace my old Jos A Bank suit I bought years ago. It developed a rip recently in the leg area. Was looking to find one that I can wear for weddings, funerals, company events, Cruises, and occasionally nice places. Budget is around $350 max.

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

$255 for the Jcrew Deep Navy Italian Wool classic chest 42 R, slim pants 36 I got it during an overlap sale. It seems to fit ok, but i can still return it.

Would a size 42 or 44 be better with Spier and Mackay with my measurement of 43 chest? I am open to other brands within the same price range too. One tailor I went to said the 42s jacket length was fine, but also said the 42r jacket length was fine too. I ordered the J. Crew one and can return it since I saw there was a sale for a few hours in case it was good. Closest Brooks Brother is closed so I can't get fitted there to see if Brookscloud would fit and what my measurements actually are with them. I live in Houston so something that would be nice all year long would be nice.

Forget everything else especially stiffer barely usable lower end Dino Filarte fabrics and get this Zignone rarity. It is of higher caliber than all other mills SM uses.

Konnor

Reaction score
I purchased the blue Birdseye suit on sale during the extra 20% off last week. This may be one of my favorite purchases from SM.
Blue Birdseye
E8D5C7D9-E786-4517-9E64-78C4E5011E8B.jpeg

goodwillhinton

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has run into this problem. I'm trying to purchase a $100 gift card on the website but when I go to check out the total shows $108 as if the extra $8 is for shipping. I'm assuming this is an e-gift card. Anyone else have this problem?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Featured in this photo is the brick Zignone SM sportcoat. Just received this bad boy yesterday. It's a good deal. Pictured here with:

Shirt: SM medium blue fine twill
Tie: Lands End navy knit
Trews: SM medium grey sharkskin (appears dark or charcoal-ish in real life)
Shoes: Meermin dark brown suede oxfords

I'd typically wear this kind of sportcoat with lighter color trousers, but just wanted to see how it would look fresh out the box with an outfit.
6FC1CD9E-4FCE-4F98-934A-5F02204BE8CF_1_201_a.jpeg

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I made a large order during the weekend when they were offering free upgrades for fully canvassed suits and sportcoats....no confirmation email or anything. Anyone having trouble with their orders? I had heard they were upgrading their website, but to not each receive an order confirmation or anything is something I've never experienced.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I made a large order during the weekend when they were offering free upgrades for fully canvassed suits and sportcoats....no confirmation email or anything. Anyone having trouble with their orders? I had heard they were upgrading their website, but to not each receive an order confirmation or anything is something I've never experienced.
Just go into your account/order history and see if the order is there. You can email them, too, for clarification. And don’t worry: sometimes an order shows up at your door before the shipping notice.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget everything else especially stiffer barely usable lower end Dino Filarte fabrics and get this Zignone rarity. It is of higher caliber than all other mills SM uses.

What is wrong with the Dino Filarte fabrics? I just bought a pair of trousers from them in they don't seem stiff at all. Nothing like my Loro Piana Super 150's suit, but still 100% wool and useful

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the Dino Filarte fabrics? I just bought a pair of trousers from them in they don't seem stiff at all. Nothing like my Loro Piana Super 150's suit, but still 100% wool and useful

Nothing. Don't listen to the man.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay is there plans to bring more casual chino's back in stock? My recent one's I ordered didn't fit and not much stock and variety left in the other sizes for me. Really want a navy chino

Bidouleroux

Reaction score

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

If you truly want only ONE suit and you're not prepared to stand out from the crowd, then forget about anything that's not listed as "navy" or "charcoal". All those medium blues and grays are great, but they stand out* (especially in fall/winter, regardless of the fact you live in the south).

Most versatile as both suit and separates would probably be a navy hopsack suit with patch pockets, as recommended by Brian Sacawa. Unfortunately, the only such thing in stock at the moment is the Guabello navy hopsack sportcoat + high-rise trousers. It's out of your price range and it's also a Neapolitan 3-roll-2 cut so it might stick out like a sore thumb in downtown Houston... However, if you think you can rock it with confidence I'd say: splurge! It's your only suit after all.

* And I say this as a ginger with a collection that's 90% not navy/charcoal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads