• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1593660473838.png

Excludes ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been staring at it for a couple months. Last one is my size. I've spent so much money so far this year. Every sale email I reconsider ordering it. So tempting...

As I understand it prices are slowly going up as a readjustment and probably the next season there won't be so many choices as to reduce deadstock. With this in mind I decided to help SM unload lots of NOS and now I won't have to buy a new SC for the next decade or so. Plus that's a legendary E Thomas silk linen wool fabric, no brainer for a mere $187.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried viewing my old orders on the previous website, but the certificate is not secure for login.

Shandoeluna

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a versatile suit which will basically replace my old Jos A Bank suit I bought years ago. It developed a rip recently in the leg area. Was looking to find one that I can wear for weddings, funerals, company events, Cruises, and occasionally nice places. Budget is around $350 max.

I was measured by a local tailor.

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

Not sure which one of these to get, higher quality, or best colour to go with.

$279 Charcoal Gray Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 medium gray Spier and Mackay contemporary.

$279 Medium Gray Shark Skin Spier and Mackay

$279 Blue texture Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 Marine Blue Spier and Mackay contemporary

$379 Blue Hatch Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Medium Blue Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Blue Mix Sharkskin Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$255 for the Jcrew Deep Navy Italian Wool classic chest 42 R, slim pants 36 I got it during an overlap sale. It seems to fit ok, but i can still return it.

$170 J crew Charcoal ludlow American wool suit 42 S

$299.40 Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald two button suit 1818 Gray 42S

$359 Brooks Brothers Regent 1818 Brookscloud Grey textured suit in 42 or 43 R.

Would a size 42 or 44 be better with Spier and Mackay with my measurement of 43 chest? I am open to other brands within the same price range too. One tailor I went to said the 42s jacket length was fine, but also said the 42r jacket length was fine too. I ordered the J. Crew one and can return it since I saw there was a sale for a few hours in case it was good. Closest Brooks Brother is closed so I can't get fitted there to see if Brookscloud would fit and what my measurements actually are with them. I live in Houston so something that would be nice all year long would be nice.

pickergc

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a versatile suit which will basically replace my old Jos A Bank suit I bought years ago. It developed a rip recently in the leg area. Was looking to find one that I can wear for weddings, funerals, company events, Cruises, and occasionally nice places. Budget is around $350 max.

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

$255 for the Jcrew Deep Navy Italian Wool classic chest 42 R, slim pants 36 I got it during an overlap sale. It seems to fit ok, but i can still return it.

Would a size 42 or 44 be better with Spier and Mackay with my measurement of 43 chest? I am open to other brands within the same price range too. One tailor I went to said the 42s jacket length was fine, but also said the 42r jacket length was fine too. I ordered the J. Crew one and can return it since I saw there was a sale for a few hours in case it was good. Closest Brooks Brother is closed so I can't get fitted there to see if Brookscloud would fit and what my measurements actually are with them. I live in Houston so something that would be nice all year long would be nice.

Maybe this isn't the best way, or most original or creative, but I like to find pictures of people I respect (their clothing sensibilities) and try to emulate them. All these options lie in a relatively narrow bandwidth - most of the differences will depend on what you're going for and personal taste. Perhaps start by finding what you want to look like, and go from there.

As for sizing, take advantage of their free return shipping for your first suit/jacket purchase. YMMV, it's unlikely someone will be able to provide detailed information that will lead to the correct size. If they do, it's probably more luck than expertise. Order some sizes, try some stuff on take some fit pics, post them here or the "tailors" thread to get more nuanced insight to sizing.

Unfortunately, your state government has failed the public fantastically so normally I'd say since you live in Houston, go to S*itsupply on Westheimer and try on some jackets to get an idea. There is a lot of history in this thread of matching sizes. Until then, GL in your journey.

Edit: not advocating purchasing from S*itsupply - just to find sizing. I'm S&M all the way, don't get the wrong idea.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

Maybe this isn't the best way, or most original or creative, but I like to find pictures of people I respect (their clothing sensibilities) and try to emulate them. All these options lie in a relatively narrow bandwidth - most of the differences will depend on what you're going for and personal taste. Perhaps start by finding what you want to look like, and go from there.

As for sizing, take advantage of their free return shipping for your first suit/jacket purchase. YMMV, it's unlikely someone will be able to provide detailed information that will lead to the correct size. If they do, it's probably more luck than expertise. Order some sizes, try some stuff on take some fit pics, post them here or the "tailors" thread to get more nuanced insight to sizing.

Unfortunately, your state government has failed the public fantastically but normally I'd say since you live in Houston, go to S*itsupply on Westheimer and try on some jackets to get an idea. There is a lot of history in this thread of matching sizes. Until then, GL in your journey.

Edit: not advocating purchasing from S*itsupply - just to find sizing. I'm S&M all the way, don't get the wrong idea.

Comes to Spier and Mackay Thread and asks for advice on S&M vs BB vs J Crew????

I am not going to recommend anything other than Spier here.

Based on your size (and seconding @pickergc) order a couple different Spier sizes, (although, based on your measurements, you will likely have good luck with either 44R or 44S)

On to which suit to buy, if you are going to have one suit, most recommend it be blue, I recommend something darker than the medium blue you linked (Medium Blue Spier and Mackay)

Any of these would be good choices:
Marine Blue Spier and Mackay
Blue Mix Sharkskin Spier and Mackay

Or:
Spier Blue Birdseye
Spier Navy Travel
Spier Navy "Texture"

bmoredcstyle

Reaction score
I could swear that Spier and Mackay was featured on Parisian Gentleman but can't find the article. can anyone else find it? Thanks.

JayDee90

Reaction score
I could swear that Spier and Mackay was featured on Parisian Gentleman but can't find the article. can anyone else find it? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics