• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that wear S&M slim suits (or contemporary suits, for that matter), do the sleeves seem wider to you than suits from other companies? Most suits fit me in the arms right off the rack, but the S&M suits that I just got in have a bit of a gorilla aesthetic.

Do people have the sleeves tapered? I have heard of tapering the suits from the elbow down, but these would need to be around the bicep as well, and it is not clear to me if it will work.

Yes, the sleeves are too big.

SpencerCowan

Reaction score
I am seeking advice on S&M trousers to get the perfect fit. I'm 6'2" and 150 lbs--so generally skinny. But because I run, my thighs are somewhat thicker--or at least not as skinny as the rest of my frame. So it's a balancing act.

I've purchased wool suit trousers and the new cotton/twill dress trousers, both 32W contemporary. I like them both--but think I could find a better fit for future purchases. Here are my issues:
  1. The waistband feels okay standing and even a bit too loose. But when I sit and lean forward a bit, it feels a little too snug, particularly around the front of the pants. The pockets flare, too, when sitting.
  2. Also when I sit or lean forward, the crotch area feels a little constricted--almost as though I have a slight wedgie (especially close to the family jewels...). It seems like the crotch seam should be an inch or so lower/deeper.
  3. Thighs could also use a bit more room when seated, especially in the cotton dress trousers.
Any thoughts? Should I size up to 33W, and might that help the crotch issue? And is it possible for a tailor to deepen the crotch area, if need be?

Thanks all! (And for the record, I love S&M--just trying to find an excuse to blow even more money with them.)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer tweed came in today, fit right out of the box.

fabric is something special, unfortunate that i probably won't have an opportunity to wear it much due to what's going on right now.

View attachment 1396757 View attachment 1396758

Yeeesh this is great. Love that you opted to MTM some trousers. My summer tweed should be here tomorrow if I’m lucky.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, there are a couple of us lurking around. @vriche is OTR if I remember right.

what suit did you get?

I got the full canvas neo in medium gray.... Test run for me so far so good..I’m honestly surprised how well it fits in the shoulder and chest area. More than likely because of the unpadded shoulder. I just have to see what my tailor says when I visit him.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
advice appreciated:

how much of an issue is this pocket bulge and/or is a fix possible?Am I better off with another size? These are 34 contemporary

C84FFF9F-5846-4060-8B6E-1F634DCC3A51.jpeg

jdhoop

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice on the fit of my first pair of benchmade shoes. I initially bought Spier & Mackay's suede wingtip in size 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 or 10. They definitely felt too big, so I exchanged them for a 9, but my heels still seemed to be slipping in the 9s. So then I ordered a pair in 8.5 to compare with the 9s, and now I need to decide which pair to keep and which to return.

The challenge is that I'm not sure how benchmade Goodyear welted shoes will break in, and by the time I find out it'll be too late to return. So the 8.5s are better in the heel (minimal slipping) but feel tight and slightly uncomfortable in the toe area on my right foot (which must be slightly bigger). On my left foot the 8.5 seems just about right. The 9s are more comfortable in the toe area but have a good amount of heel slipping when I walk, (particularly noticeable on my left foot).

For anyone with quality shoe experience, my question is this: It is more likely that the toe will stretch out on the 8.5s, or that the sole will become more flexible on the 9s and not move around as much in the heel? Or should I return both sizes and look at other brands? (I'd be bummed about the latter option, as I love the style and quality/value of these and was hoping to purchase more S&M shoes in the future.)

I do have a shoe stretching device and spray—would this this work to stretch out the toe area on the right-foot 8.5, since the left-foot 8.5 seems to fit well? Or is it important that with shoes such as this, both feet should feel comfortable right out of the box?

I've never had trouble finding well-fitting dress shoes at stores in the past, and I believe my foot shape is pretty average. So I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with these, but I'm hoping that understanding better how they break in and mold to your feet will help me make the right decision here. Thanks; I greatly appreciate any insights!

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice on the fit of my first pair of benchmade shoes. I initially bought Spier & Mackay's suede wingtip in size 9.5, as I normally wear a 9.5 or 10. They definitely felt too big, so I exchanged them for a 9, but my heels still seemed to be slipping in the 9s. So then I ordered a pair in 8.5 to compare with the 9s, and now I need to decide which pair to keep and which to return.

The challenge is that I'm not sure how benchmade Goodyear welted shoes will break in, and by the time I find out it'll be too late to return. So the 8.5s are better in the heel (minimal slipping) but feel tight and slightly uncomfortable in the toe area on my right foot (which must be slightly bigger). On my left foot the 8.5 seems just about right. The 9s are more comfortable in the toe area but have a good amount of heel slipping when I walk, (particularly noticeable on my left foot).

For anyone with quality shoe experience, my question is this: It is more likely that the toe will stretch out on the 8.5s, or that the sole will become more flexible on the 9s and not move around as much in the heel? Or should I return both sizes and look at other brands? (I'd be bummed about the latter option, as I love the style and quality/value of these and was hoping to purchase more S&M shoes in the future.)

I do have a shoe stretching device and spray—would this this work to stretch out the toe area on the right-foot 8.5, since the left-foot 8.5 seems to fit well? Or is it important that with shoes such as this, both feet should feel comfortable right out of the box?

I've never had trouble finding well-fitting dress shoes at stores in the past, and I believe my foot shape is pretty average. So I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with these, but I'm hoping that understanding better how they break in and mold to your feet will help me make the right decision here. Thanks; I greatly appreciate any insights!

If the 8.5 feels tight now, it won't get much better. Suede is already very forgiving and should fit well right out of the box. My guess for why you have heel slippage is due to your instep. You might have average or low instep and the last that the shoes are made on are more accommodating to a high instep (I don't own S&M shoes so this is a guess).

If the suede wingtips lace completely and you feel like it could be laced even tighter, then instep is the reason.

konix

Reaction score
Yeeesh this is great. Love that you opted to MTM some trousers. My summer tweed should be here tomorrow if I’m lucky.

Thank you! I used pre-quarantine measurements on the trousers so i'll need to let out the waist a bit to accomodate some weight gain lol :D

it looks great as separates and together, can easily see this wil be my most worn suit. shoot some photos when you get it, would love to get your thoughts on the fabric.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I used pre-quarantine measurements on the trousers so i'll need to let out the waist a bit to accomodate some weight gain lol :D

it looks great as separates and together, can easily see this wil be my most worn suit. shoot some photos when you get it, would love to get your thoughts on the fabric.

Will do!

in the meantime, proper pic of the green seersucker. Fit quirks aside, the custom color turned out incredibly well. Also, after pressing a crease I am pretty much certain a 33 trouser is going to fit me perfect in the RTW now without the need to size up. I'll take this 34 in at the waist and seat and see if I even need to trim the leg a touch, I may not.

@spiermackay can we get deeper pleats now in the high rise??

2020-05-28 19.17.08_edited.jpg

2020-05-28 19.17.37_edited.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads