• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my @spiermackay green seersucker the other day. Like a previous poster, the jacket definitely seems much more snug in the waist compared to other S&M jackets of the same size. I took some photos of mine, as I am considering an exchange for a size up.

This is a size 38R Contemporary. For reference, I am about 5'10", 155-160 lbs.

Here it is from the front:

ZdwUFvs.jpg

As you can see, it definitely looks fairly tight. The effect is even more pronounced on the side and back shots, although I don't know how much (if any) of it has to do with the vent still being closed by the basting thread.

Side and back shots:

VYpC475.jpg

OConjVT.jpg

Size 38R Contemporary from S&M usually fits me much better than this. Maybe it's the Neapolitan cut? Here are comparable front, back, and side shots of another 38R Contemporary Neapolitan S&M jacket, this time a gun check (I know the angle is weird -- the phone was set up somewhat low, so the shot isn't straight-on):

b9xQRmT.jpg

Side and back shots:

6nJzW9N.jpg

bXFHiWH.jpg

Again like the previous poster, I really do like the color and the fabric of the green seersucker (only the front shot has had the color "corrected" somewhat... that was not taken in natural light, though). I'm wondering if seersucker by its nature is just a bit tighter. I'm also considering whether I should exchange this for a 40R Contemporary, but I'm worried about the shoulders not fitting properly. On the other hand, I don't want a tight seersucker suit... it kind of defeats the point. Any thoughts are welcome.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
I'm curious what other guys on this thread think, but I find the Spier&Mackay shirt sleeves to be way too wide. The body of the Slim Fit shirt fits me great, but the sleeves just billow, compared to my Charles Tyrwhitt and G.Inglese shirts. Maybe my biceps and forearms are too small. I just found it a bit odd since I don't have any issue with the suit jackets and its sleeve width.
I'm thin, not rail thin, but with a bit of muscle and I think most fit trim enough, although I've had a couple in the past that are on the wider side. Both were the lightweight oxfords, so I'm not sure if it's the nature of that fabric, or just the factory cutting some of them slightly larger at times. Just my personal experience.

Spills

Reaction score
NY,

I am approximately the same height and weight as you. I just received the green seersucker in 40R contemporary, and it fits fairly bang on, except for the need for slight adjustments to the sleeves.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NY,

I am approximately the same height and weight as you. I just received the green seersucker in 40R contemporary, and it fits fairly bang on, except for the need for slight adjustments to the sleeves.

Thanks. I'm strongly considering an exchange for a 40. I wonder if it's something inherent in seersucker (this is my first seersucker piece from any maker), as the 3 other 38R Contemporary sport coats I have from S&M fit quite well.

zyyeo95

Reaction score
I'm curious what other guys on this thread think, but I find the Spier&Mackay shirt sleeves to be way too wide. The body of the Slim Fit shirt fits me great, but the sleeves just billow, compared to my Charles Tyrwhitt and G.Inglese shirts. Maybe my biceps and forearms are too small. I just found it a bit odd since I don't have any issue with the suit jackets and its sleeve width.

This has been my experience as well. Except mine is on the contemporary fit instead of the slim. Body and collar fits nicely but sleeves are about an inch too wide (pretty easy fix at the tailors tho)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my seersucker today. I’m totally fine with the jacket making up a bit more slim, seems to match more of my older contemporary jackets. Last fall I found some made up on the big side, even the e Thomas hopsack this season I had to go down to a slim in.

trousers is a whole other story. I’m happy to report, as others mentioned, that they have more room in the thigh and knee. Sadly, for me I was previously sizing up to a 34 to compensate for them being too slim. Now I bet my normal 33 would be a great fit but appears they are sold out. I might try a 32 or I guess just have these slimmed down.

To give an idea of the extra room. The 34 contemp seersucker trouser from last year measures 9.2” flat at the knee (13” down from the crotch). This year the 34 contemp measures 10.4” at the same spot.

so if you’ve been sizing up for more thigh room, you can stop haha.

6D5A6F85-522C-45DD-8DE0-ABC6860DD121.jpeg

stylebear

Reaction score
Greetings to S&M fans. This is my first post on Styleforum. I joined to get info about S&M before I start buying. I lost some weight so I need a new wardrobe. Searching the internet for best sources of moderately priced dress shirts led me to S&M and their thread on Styleforum.

I thought my first post should include some of the knowledge I've acquired over the years about clothing.

1. Dress shirts go with anything, including shorts & Flipflops, any kind of pants, and nothing at all when worn by your hot wife.

2. There is no such thing as a short sleeve dress shirt.

3. No need for any kind of short sleeve shirt because you can always roll up long sleeves.

4. When your fine dress shirts are too ratty for the office, they still offer many years of service for the weekend yard warrior.

Most of you probably know these things, but there may be some other noobs lurking.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been my experience as well. Except mine is on the contemporary fit instead of the slim. Body and collar fits nicely but sleeves are about an inch too wide (pretty easy fix at the tailors tho)
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I rather not to have to take shirts to a tailor since I would just opt for MTM. I took a picture comparing the CT shirt sleeve with the S&M shirt underneath Both are 15.5" collar. S&M easily has another 2" of fabric on the sleeve
15906335127486317818425573187053.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings to S&M fans. This is my first post on Styleforum. I joined to get info about S&M before I start buying. I lost some weight so I need a new wardrobe. Searching the internet for best sources of moderately priced dress shirts led me to S&M and their thread on Styleforum.

I thought my first post should include some of the knowledge I've acquired over the years about clothing.

1. Dress shirts go with anything, including shorts & Flipflops, any kind of pants, and nothing at all when worn by your hot wife.

3. No need for any kind of short sleeve shirt because you can always roll up long sleeves.

4. When your fine dress shirts are too ratty for the office, they still offer many years of service for the weekend yard warrior.

Most of you probably know these things, but there may be some other noobs lurking.
The reason is comfort. For hot and sweaty people like me, it's a god send to have a short sleeve polo or BD shirt that I can wear in the summer, or underneath a sweater in the winter. Long sleeves rolled up often bunch up or simply don't work with many sweaters considering they're not lined like a suit jacket.

Yes, rolling up long sleeves will always look better.

hellomcfly

Reaction score
Got my seersucker today. I’m totally fine with the jacket making up a bit more slim, seems to match more of my older contemporary jackets. Last fall I found some made up on the big side, even the e Thomas hopsack this season I had to go down to a slim in.

trousers is a whole other story. I’m happy to report, as others mentioned, that they have more room in the thigh and knee. Sadly, for me I was previously sizing up to a 34 to compensate for them being too slim. Now I bet my normal 33 would be a great fit but appears they are sold out. I might try a 32 or I guess just have these slimmed down.

To give an idea of the extra room. The 34 contemp seersucker trouser from last year measures 9.2” flat at the knee (13” down from the crotch). This year the 34 contemp measures 10.4” at the same spot.

View attachment 1396450

Damn, you may have just sold me a pair of pants. 34 contemp is just a HAIR to slim in the legs for me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1396450
I think that looks fine.

stylebear

Reaction score
I've been running into the opposite problem with other shirt makers, sleeves that are too tight. Tight sleeves might be the most common cause of blown out elbows. Before you have your shirts altered, try this test. With the shirt on, gently pinch at inch of fabric at the point of your elbow. Then move your hand up to your ear like you are talking on the phone. If all the fabric has pulled out of the pinch, you could blow out the elbows of the shirt.

I measured my arms and then measured shirts that have enough room in the sleeves. I discovered that I need at least 2 inches in the forearm and 2.5 inches around the flexed bicep to avoid problems at the elbow.

Kurps

Reaction score

But, where do you stand on beard neck line trimming?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics