• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can recommend sizing on suits? Contemporary fit and slim fit if you can! The only reference I have is RTW Suitsupply 38R the rest I have are MTM.

zewill

Reaction score
What suitsupply model?
I wear suitsupply Havana 38L and I wear 38L in Spier. Sleeves are very slightly longer on Spier. That's mainly for sportscoats. I did gets a suit in 38 R and it fits great, length was better than I expected.
Keep in mind with Spier you can also request different sized pants. They are a drop 6 too like Susu but Spier pants are generally more forgiving (Susu feel like skinny jeans even for me)
I transitioned from Susu to Spier and never looked back. I am a great fit for Susu (tall and very slim), I love their fabrics but not their prices anymore.

Anyone can recommend sizing on suits? Contemporary fit and slim fit if you can! The only reference I have is RTW Suitsupply 38R the rest I have are MTM.

dinted voice

Reaction score
How long does it take for a gift card to become active? Have a 50 prepaid card that I want to convert to gift card so I can still use pay with my cc through PayPal. Want to buy something in current sale. Or should I buy store credit? What is difference?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What suitsupply model?
I wear suitsupply Havana 38L and I wear 38L in Spier. Sleeves are very slightly longer on Spier.
I transitioned from Susu to Spier and never looked back. I am a great fit for Susu (tall and very slim), I love their fabrics but not their prices anymore.

I worked at Suitsupply for 6 months, and you are totally right I forgot to add the fit. I am a perfect 38R in Havana with shortening the sleeves by 1.5 cm. I wonder if the 38S would fit fine in this occasion if the sleeves are slightly longer. For SuSu, the sleeve difference between 38R and S/L is +-2.5cm and the length +-3cm

Thanks for the advice!

zewill

Reaction score
No problem. Please double check as I only gave my impressions. Spier has a great size fit table.
Be careful, I had to return a sportscoat at spier because the Regular was too short (I'm 6ft2)
It's funny because different salespeople will recommend different things at suitsupply.. I once bought a "great fitting" suit, was perfect except it turned out that length was too short to my liking (and sleeves also) yet the salesman did not say a think except it was perfect.
When I tried the same size but in L length the following week, that new salesman agreed that this was the right fit and I should go to 38L indeed !

I worked at Suitsupply for 6 months, and you are totally right I forgot to add the fit. I am a perfect 38R in Havana with shortening the sleeves by 1.5 cm. I wonder if the 38S would fit fine in this occasion if the sleeves are slightly longer. For SuSu, the sleeve difference between e38R and S/L is +-2.5cm and the length +-3cm

Thanks for the advice!

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked at Suitsupply for 6 months, and you are totally right I forgot to add the fit. I am a perfect 38R in Havana with shortening the sleeves by 1.5 cm. I wonder if the 38S would fit fine in this occasion if the sleeves are slightly longer. For SuSu, the sleeve difference between 38R and S/L is +-2.5cm and the length +-3cm

Thanks for the advice!

I am in between a suitsupply 98 and 102 havana and use contemporary 40l in S&M with no alterations.

If you decide to buy a short jacket remember that no tailor can lengthen a jacket.

Let me know if you want a refferal code to make your first purchase a bit cheaper.

Panama

Reaction score
IME, I really just hate how wrinkle-free shirts feel. I don't know if there are wrinkle free shirts that don't use some sort of coating on the fibers, but they really don't breathe as well as natural, uncoated fabric.

I find that seeing a wrinkled shirt on someone isn't as noticeable (bothersome) to me as long as the fit and proportions are there and the other outfit details come together.
I use to avoid non iron shirts, but most of my LE Supima OCBD's are non iron and I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe the technology has moved on?

zewill

Reaction score
I am in between a suitsupply 98 and 102 havana and use contemporary 40l in S&M with no alterations.

If you decide to buy a short jacket remember that no tailor can lengthen a jacket.

I once did the mistake of ordering a (very nice) 38L Havana suit in final sale outlet price At suitsupply and turns out it was too long for me :( I need to shorten 1 inch minimum. Everyone says it will throw off the balance (it has patch pockets unfortunately hence they are kind of right). Despite it costing only 40-50$ to shorten,I am really hesitatant. Its sitting unworn and unloved ever since :(

All that to say, yes 100% you can't lengthen a 38S, but you also shouldn't really shorten a 38R or 38L so I guess, try and to with the one that feels right (and don't get final sale stuff unless you accept the risk and know your sizing- and even there, tolerances vary and collections have different sizing even if it's the same model name).​

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem. Please double check as I only gave my impressions. Spier has a great size fit table.
Be careful, I had to return a sportscoat at spier because the Regular was too short (I'm 6ft2)
It's funny because different salespeople will recommend different things at suitsupply.. I once bought a "great fitting" suit, was perfect except it turned out that length was too short to my liking (and sleeves also) yet the salesman did not say a think except it was perfect.
When I tried the same size but in L length the following week, that new salesman agreed that this was the right fit and I should go to 38L indeed !
I am not sure how it is in the US, however it is true that everything is subjective to the salesman. Regardless, they should always have you try the longer version to be sure. I have written a whole article on my blog about their techniques and what happened in the store I was in.

I am 1.77 (1ft8??) so I will most likely wearing regular here too. I don't want to be limited just to suitsupply so I want to try out new things and I have been following the thread here. Thanks!

Kurps

Reaction score
The short suit jackets are 1.5 in shorter than the regular. I’m seeing on the size charts that S&M and SS Havana are the same length for regular, if that fits you well then I’d look at 38R then decide on contemporary vs slim, which I think the slim is probably a closer match based on size charts.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The short suit jackets are 1.5 in shorter than the regular. I’m seeing on the size charts that S&M and SS Havana are the same length for regular, if that fits you well then I’d look at 38R then decide on contemporary vs slim, which I think the slim is probably a closer match based on size charts.
awesome thank you!

zewill

Reaction score
I am not sure how it is in the US, however it is true that everything is subjective to the salesman. Regardless, they should always have you try the longer version to be sure. I have written a whole article on my blog about their techniques and what happened in the store I was in.

I am 1.77 (1ft8??) so I will most likely wearing regular here too. I don't want to be limited just to suitsupply so I want to try out new things and I have been following the thread here. Thanks!

I'm sure you are taller than 1ft8 :D I agree, if you are in a store it's better to try on the most you can while there. All in all, it really depends, some salespeople are great and love what they do, other just meh...
I'm pretty slim too but loved the feel of the contemporary. It's timeless and I know I'll be able to wear it for a long period of time.
I'd be interested in reading your blog post :) care to post link?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you are taller than 1ft8 :D I agree, if you are in a store it's better to try on the most you can while there. All in all, it really depends, some salespeople are great and love what they do, other just meprettu
I'm pretty slim too but loved the feel of the contemporary. It's timeless and I know I'll be able to wear it for a long period of time.
I'd be interested in reading your blog post :) care to post link?
Haha that was supposed to be a 5!

Here you go:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics