• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
I thought so too. I had him remove the basting at vents and it fully covers seat and proportionally looks perfect to me. I think maybe it's because he has longer arms for his height and build coupled with the low rise trousers that kind of hang off seat (we both have no butt lol) maybe makes it appear short to some???

Agreed. Even if it doesn't cover his butt entirely, the proportions look good the way it is. I'd say 40S.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why is it you guys think the 40R??? Proportionally it fully covers his seat and actually hangs past it half inch or more. The measurement of the jacket length is same exact length as the distance from jacket to ground. Think the extra inch and a half would look much too long as he is only 5'8. And this would be two full inches past his seat and much longer than lower half. Also the extra inch of sleeves would have to be taken up also. Curious as to what you guys are seeing that I'm not here. Thanks!

Jacket should end at about the knuckles. In my humble opinion. Having said that I understand the style these days is shorter jackets.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get 40R. The button stance will look better, particularly if he is adamant about the lower rise pants. If his ass is covered with the 40S, it is only just. 40R will look less GQ, but it will be more timeless. Certainly will not dwarf him.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay navy guabello en route.

Last edited:

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Oh trust me, I'm working on it! He just finished residency so it's balance of paying 180K in loans and letting me upgrade his ish lol. Told him it would do wonders for the buttoning position balance between it and his waist to have higher rise! The 38S contemporary would have worked but he needed more room in waist for sure and sleeves bit short. He has longer arms and bigger gut for his size. So the 40S it was lol
It looks good to me, just tell your bro to upgrade to some high rise pants and he is good. Being the same height, I tried the 38R Slim and 38R contemporary and returned both because they were too long. Waiting on a 38S Slim and 38S contemporary now

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
I actually disagree with that sizing methodology as it doesn't account for overall proportions and also if the person has shorter or longer arms. His arms are same length as mine (He's 5'8 and I'm 6'3) and because of such the jacket he tried on that was 40 regular looked like he was wearing my jacket in length...was wayyy to long for him at a full 2 inches past where his seat ends. Also, for shorter guys the very slightly shorter jacket actually makes appear taller than even this, but especially something 1.5 inches longer!
Jacket should end at about the knuckles. In my humble opinion. Having said that I understand the style these days is shorter jackets.

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
That's the thing, he is 100% on board with the higher rise. He was only wearing these before he had to wear jackets at all. Now that he is making bank and has me to guide they will sit much higher. I definitely agree it is way off but 90% due to the low rise.
Get 40R. The button stance will look better, particularly if he is adamant about the lower rise pants. If his ass is covered with the 40S, it is only just. 40R will look less GQ, but it will be more timeless. Certainly will not dwarf him.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop focusing on the seat and look at the front. A jacket is a 3-dimensional garment.

I've had jackets where the back covered my seat, but the front was clearly too short.

With that said, it looks acceptable. I'd try 40R in the future

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's a front/back balance issue. If he's standing more erect than normal, that change in posture might be accentuating it. But yeah, he needs a longer front.

I completely agree, the issue for me is how short it looks in front. Look at some of macjedi's jackets in the WAYWT thread for a beautiful example of how good it looks when it's longer.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
The Emerald Herringbone really is spectacular. I actually wore it for a video interview last week (St Patrick;s Day in fact) and I got the offer ;)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the thing, he is 100% on board with the higher rise. He was only wearing these before he had to wear jackets at all. Now that he is making bank and has me to guide they will sit much higher. I definitely agree it is way off but 90% due to the low rise.
That's good to hear, though I'd still advocate 40R. Unsure of his height, but I'm 5'10 (on my best day lol), and the short 42S looked similar on me as the 40R does pictures...the difference is night and day. Of course, the butt is covered better, but the difference in button stance is unbelievable. I still like and wear my S jackets from SM, but I'm extremely pleased I took the gamble on going R as soon as I did.

Note: going R did necessitate getting the sleeves altered, but I get mine cut for buttonholes anyway, so it's a negligible add-on.

drfwtx

Reaction score
Excellent texture on the new ethomas jackets.
E3FD6967-F9AD-4C80-8FCB-BFE9E3601D41.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads