• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zewill

Reaction score
Yep, it will be fine. My wife started keeping track of my tailoring expenditures recently and she wasn’t thrilled.
Find another tailor.. or another wife? :D
In all seriousness, shop around for (good and affordable) tailors. Wierdly the one in my neighborhood charges much more (and seems less experienced) that the one in the city center where I work.

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Got my brother on the Spier bandwagon after couple failed attempts at trying 38S and 38R, just got him 40S Contemporary and the fit is incredible! What do you all think. This is fresh out box with basting still in!
If anyone is selling 40S Contemporary jackets,please DM me!
Resized_20200325_171216.jpg
Resized_20200325_171230.jpg
Resized_20200325_171223.jpg

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
I have the Guabello wheat hopsack and I noticed that the chest collapses underneath the breast pocket. None of my other S&M jackets in the same size/cut do this. It does seem a bit larger. Maybe there’s too much room in the chest?

Attachments

• 13B658DB-288B-4086-9716-2977C3EA73C5.jpeg
    13B658DB-288B-4086-9716-2977C3EA73C5.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 170

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Fits well. I don't necessarily agree that he needs a short, but the fit looks good.
If he goes for 40R the extra inch and half length on body will dwarf him imo. Definitely doesn't need in sleeves either. Problem is he wears pants with low rise so working on that next :)

MrAmbrose

Reaction score

OrdinarilyDapper

Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why is it you guys think the 40R??? Proportionally it fully covers his seat and actually hangs past it half inch or more. The measurement of the jacket length is same exact length as the distance from jacket to ground. Think the extra inch and a half would look much too long as he is only 5'8. And this would be two full inches past his seat and much longer than lower half. Also the extra inch of sleeves would have to be taken up also. Curious as to what you guys are seeing that I'm not here. Thanks!

A 40 Regular would look better on him. That is too short.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Guabello wheat hopsack and I noticed that the chest collapses underneath the breast pocket. None of my other S&M jackets in the same size/cut do this. It does seem a bit larger. Maybe there’s too much room in the chest?
Yeah take it in a pinch.
it’s a beautiful jacket btw !
I have one like that on the way!

MellonC

Reaction score
Not to be rude, but why is it you guys think the 40R??? Proportionally it fully covers his seat and actually hangs past it half inch or more. The measurement of the jacket length is same exact length as the distance from jacket to ground. Think the extra inch and a half would look much too long as he is only 5'8. And this would be two full inches past his seat and much longer than lower half. Also the extra inch of sleeves would have to be taken up also. Curious as to what you guys are seeing that I'm not here. Thanks!

Agreed. Even if it doesn't cover his butt entirely, the proportions look good the way it is. I'd say 40S.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay
Do you have more left of the copper linen/silk?
If not, would be possible to have a herringbone copper/Brown linen/silk for MTO?

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

It looks good to me, just tell your bro to upgrade to some high rise pants and he is good. Being the same height, I tried the 38R Slim and 38R contemporary and returned both because they were too long. Waiting on a 38S Slim and 38S contemporary now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads