• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Hi Spier and everyone, long time lurker, first post.

I was compelled to make an account finally for two questions:

1. what happened to that raglan trench coat that was in dev?

2. I recently bought this season's navy hopsack Neapolitan sport-coat (my sixth purchase from you guys). Big fan. But this is the first time you guys have included this peculiar detail: there is a contrast panel covering up the vent. It's honestly quite ugly. I'm OK overlooking this because the rest of the jacket is perfect, but I'm just curious as to the purpose? The picture attached shows the two other jackets (bottom) I have from you guys with beautiful finishing (with and without piping) and the top jacket is the new one with this odd panel...

Let me know, guys. Curious to hear. Thanks for coming out with such quality stuff at such affordable prices. Stay safe!

View attachment 1360410

I checked and found this feature on not all, but most of my quarter-lined jackets (not S&M). Seems like an aesthetic decision, or maybe it's to cover up some otherwise ugly stitching on the vent? I personally think it's a nice touch, but all my jackets are side-vented so that the stripe of color continues from the side panels; it does look a bit striking alone on the center like an island, but I wouldn't call it "quite ugly." If it really bothers you, your tailor can probably cut it off for an extra buck or two while doing the other alterations for you.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that our sweats are not RC territory. They are good everyday beaters though.

We are working with a new factory on a new version with better loop back terry.
Thank you for your honest opinion.
On another note I would like to know if MTM is back up. But given the current situation I don't think I can even come into your Mississauga location.
Side note I would like to see more videos come from your Youtube channel. Maybe a video series of what you wear at home!

bostndreamdonut

Reaction score
I checked and found this feature on not all, but most of my quarter-lined jackets (not S&M). Seems like an aesthetic decision, or maybe it's to cover up some otherwise ugly stitching on the vent? I personally think it's a nice touch, but all my jackets are side-vented so that the stripe of color continues from the side panels; it does look a bit striking alone on the center like an island, but I wouldn't call it "quite ugly." If it really bothers you, your tailor can probably cut it off for an extra buck or two while doing the other alterations for you.

Thanks for looking into this. I think you're right, its probably to cover up some stitching around the vent, but the other jackets I have (the half and quarter lined ones from SM) just have such lovely stitching around there that I was curious as to why this jacket had this detail.

zewill

Reaction score
Finally received my Spier order. Receiving stuff via UPS is so much smoother than Puro, @spiermackay thanks for switching! Did you do it because you got so many complaints (People always complain with regards to puro, they are so amateurish!)
With regards to my order... Relaunching the Ontario economy during those difficult times! :D Also bored working from home so must purchase stuff to store in closet and work with the same d tshirt!
please disregard the mess, poured entire contents of box on couch:D

Glad I pulled the trigger on the balmacaan. Great deal at the final sale price, I thought I would be disappointed but it's the piece I love most of this order... (Sleeves are tad Short as stated on website, will see if I can get the alterations credit when and if a tailor opens). Oh and loving the Harris tweed sportscoat of course.. oh and also the flannel trousers.. and the shirts... and the cable knits... You understand right, pretty much everything :) will only be sending back M turtleneck as I tried on the L and fits great and maybe some other I'll sized items I hoped I would fit into P_20200324_171607.jpg :)

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally received my Spier order. Receiving stuff via UPS is so much smoother than Puro, @spiermackay thanks for switching! Did you do it because you got so many complaints (People always complain with regards to puro, they are so amateurish!)
With regards to my order... Relaunching the Ontario economy during those difficult times! :D Also bored working from home so must purchase stuff to store in closet and work with the same d tshirt!

Glad I pulled the trigger on the balmacaan. Great deal at the final sale price, I thought I would be disappointed but it's the piece I love most of this order... (Sleeves are tad Short as stated on website, will see if I can get the alterations credit when and if a tailor opens). Oh and loving the Harris tweed sportscoat of course.. oh and also the flannel trousers.. and the shirts... and the cable knits... You understand right, pretty much everything :) will only be sending back M turtleneck as I tried on the L and fits great and maybe some other I'll sized items I hoped I would fit into View attachment 1360669 :)

Nice haul!

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Spier and everyone, long time lurker, first post.

I was compelled to make an account finally for two questions:

1. what happened to that raglan trench coat that was in dev?

2. I recently bought this season's navy hopsack Neapolitan sport-coat (my sixth purchase from you guys). Big fan. But this is the first time you guys have included this peculiar detail: there is a contrast panel covering up the vent. It's honestly quite ugly. I'm OK overlooking this because the rest of the jacket is perfect, but I'm just curious as to the purpose? The picture attached shows the two other jackets (bottom) I have from you guys with beautiful finishing (with and without piping) and the top jacket is the new one with this odd panel...

Let me know, guys. Curious to hear. Thanks for coming out with such quality stuff at such affordable prices. Stay safe!

View attachment 1360410

The difference is seam construction. One has the cloth turned over, the other requires a second piece of fabric. It can either be done with lining or self fabric. Most companies who use this technique use lining because it's thinner and allows the vent to lay smoother.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Glad I pulled the trigger on the balmacaan. Great deal at the final sale price, I thought I would be disappointed but it's the piece I love most of this order... (Sleeves are tad Short as stated on website, will see if I can get the alterations credit when and if a tailor opens). Oh and loving the Harris tweed sportscoat of course.. oh and also the flannel trousers.. and the shirts... and the cable knits... You understand right, pretty much everything :) will only be sending back M turtleneck as I tried on the L and fits great and maybe some other I'll sized items I hoped I would fit into View attachment 1360669 :)

We went with UPS for a variety of reasons. Shipping consolidation. Return handling. Delivery speed and tracking. Insurance. We ship enough volume now that we could negotiate decent rates. But a huge part was customer experience. We know we have good products. We want the experience to match. This is where the investment into the new site, better photography, etc came into focus. UPS as an upgraded shipping partner made sense. We're also working on new packaging/boxes and garment bags. The entire experience from start to finish is a priority as we grow.

zewill

Reaction score
Id like to know more about the sportscoat :p looks well comfortable and warm and a nice texture to it :)

Wilson13

Reaction score
How do you like the fabric? I'd love more photos of this shirt or anything else you have in new Soktas fabrics :)
I think the only other one I have is a khaki/brown check. Both are really nice and soft - good value and I recommend. When I have a moment later, I'll take close-ups of the fabric.

dtanner1189

Reaction score
@spiermackay I'm looking to place an MTO sportcoat order soon and am thinking about trying a 42L Slim in the Neapolitan cut since I can't get that size/fit combo OTR currently. In the past, I've typically done well with 42L in the Contemporary cut, but always have to take in the waist by 1-2 inches and feel like the sleeves are a bit roomier in width than I'd prefer.

Aside from adjusting the waist, will going from contemporary to slim in the same size narrow the sleeves at all?

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like the Sondrio light brown cotton linen would have made an awesome peak lapel, single button jacket, especially w/ cream satin facings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads