• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you guys elaborate more on the full canvas?

I always hesitate for getting something with full canvas due to the relatively higher cost vs. half-canvas.

Remember when you went from a fused suit to a half-canvas suit and were blown away by the quality and drape? Now multiply that by four. That's full-canvas quality.

A.D.

Reaction score
The new sportcoats are looking good, but am I imagining things or is the neapolitan cut getting less frequent in RTW? Is your average customer not buying them? @spiermackay

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The new sportcoats are looking good, but am I imagining things or is the neapolitan cut getting less frequent in RTW? Is your average customer not buying them? @spiermackay

The two Guabello jackets are Neo. One hopsack is Neo. The Guabello Hopsack coming is Neo. The Ethomas jackets coming are Neo. The Minnis Linen jackets coming are Neo. The Minnis seersucker coming is Neo. The Sondrio brown linen check is Neo.

And yes. Most regular guys despise the Neapolitan fit. Lapels are too wide. Why is it curved? Why is it a 3 button. Jacket is too long. Everything that you probably love about it is what they don't.

Leanderthal

Reaction score
And yes. Most regular guys despise the Neapolitan fit. Lapels are too wide. Why is it curved? Why is it a 3 button. Jacket is too long. Everything that you probably love about it is what they don't.
[/QUOTE]

Boobs.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two Guabello jackets are Neo. One hopsack is Neo. The Guabello Hopsack coming is Neo. The Ethomas jackets coming are Neo. The Minnis Linen jackets coming are Neo. The Minnis seersucker coming is Neo. The Sondrio brown linen check is Neo.

Wow- a lot of new stuff coming down the pipe.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooooooh did you spill any deets on the Minnis linens already? Matching pants to accompany?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoulders just don't work on me. Everything else is good. Take the shoulders from the regular cut and put them on the Neo and it's an instant-cop for me.

Lantaman

Reaction score
Echoing this comment too.

I had been eying the navy commuter parka since it came out, and when it went final sale, it was simply too good to pass up.

I’m coming from a Canada Goose parka that never fit me quite right (sold on eBay for more than I paid, so it was at least a good store of value!). The Spier and Mackay commuter parka, in my view, actually has a better fabric (mostly wool, with some poly, whereas most big name parkas are purely synthetic). The down fill is lighter than the Canada Goose, so my feeling is that it really is meant to be worn over a suit jacket, and in that case, it’s still plenty warm. I wouldn’t want to go out with only a t-shirt in underneath, but if I’m wearing a shawl collar cardigan, it’s a very warm setup. Even the fur is pretty good - not as dense as the Canada Goose, but shockingly close given the price difference.

Perhaps the best thing, however, is the overall fit and length. Roomy without being boxy means that it looks great, but also allows for proper layering, and I can go out and shovel snow in this thing without feeling like the seams are going to blow out. The length is also generous and at 6’ it’s much appreciated. Too many winter parkas feel like they’re going to expose my waistline and that’s a no go for winter wear.

If anyone else was on the fence with the parka, go for it. View attachment 1343671 View attachment 1343672 View attachment 1343673 View attachment 1343674 View attachment 1343675
Thanks for detailed review and photos. I think that problem with parka is lack of information.
Nobody have an idea how it looks like, what kind of fur, armholes, look without the hood etc.. and unfortunately S&M didn't provide any answer for this.
Anyway I also put the order and waiting for it soon

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ooooooh did you spill any deets on the Minnis linens already? Matching pants to accompany?

Yes. But they actually will be sold as suits. One Brown one Emerald Green.

Don't ask for previews, I don't have anything yet with the production delays.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But they actually will be sold as suits. One Brown one Emerald Green.

Don't ask for previews, I don't have anything yet with the production delays.
Sweetness. Can't go wrong with le Minnis. As silly as I felt buying a duplicate of both the Grey and Navy Frescos from SS19, I'm extremely pleased that I did.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders just don't work on me. Everything else is good. Take the shoulders from the regular cut and put them on the Neo and it's an instant-cop for me.
I also have some collar gap with the Neo cut. I am waiting to try out something in regular cut to see if it will work with me.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please tell me more about the E. Thomas jackets that are coming? What colours? I suppose no previews yet?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
emerald green minnis linen...yes please

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads