• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to remember which madras I have pending as a custom so I don't order that one when these drop.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to remember which madras I have pending as a custom so I don't order that one when these drop.
If you already ordered it you mean, you can check the SKU code in the order to the Madras in the MTM section to see which one it is.

90shilling

Reaction score
I just received the Navy commuter parka, and it's well-designed, good-looking, and overall a solid addition to my overabundant collection of outerwear. I'm really scratching my head why it didn't sell better - it is an outstanding deal at the current sale price. Highly recommend if you need a workhorse winter coat that fits over anything else you are wearing underneath from Spier & Mackay.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received the Navy commuter parka, and it's well-designed, good-looking, and overall a solid addition to my overabundant collection of outerwear. I'm really scratching my head why it didn't sell better - it is an outstanding deal at the current sale price. Highly recommend if you need a workhorse winter coat that fits over anything else you are wearing underneath from Spier & Mackay.
Is the collar real fur?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also received my parka today and can confirm it's a great coat and for the current price it's a steal. To give one more data point on sizing, I'm a size 40 chest and went with a Medium and even with a cable knit on underneath I have some room to spare for perhaps another layer so I think it depends on your climate and how much you need to bundle up as well as your build. I feel like a Large may have been a hair too big on me.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll be wearing a bunch of madras this summer...

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, VBC Fresco trousers out of stock already in size 32 contemp - I slept on them..shucks.

Does more stock get added after the pre-order release?

Last edited:

weissmenswear

Reaction score

Echoing this comment too.

I had been eying the navy commuter parka since it came out, and when it went final sale, it was simply too good to pass up.

I’m coming from a Canada Goose parka that never fit me quite right (sold on eBay for more than I paid, so it was at least a good store of value!). The Spier and Mackay commuter parka, in my view, actually has a better fabric (mostly wool, with some poly, whereas most big name parkas are purely synthetic). The down fill is lighter than the Canada Goose, so my feeling is that it really is meant to be worn over a suit jacket, and in that case, it’s still plenty warm. I wouldn’t want to go out with only a t-shirt in underneath, but if I’m wearing a shawl collar cardigan, it’s a very warm setup. Even the fur is pretty good - not as dense as the Canada Goose, but shockingly close given the price difference.

Perhaps the best thing, however, is the overall fit and length. Roomy without being boxy means that it looks great, but also allows for proper layering, and I can go out and shovel snow in this thing without feeling like the seams are going to blow out. The length is also generous and at 6’ it’s much appreciated. Too many winter parkas feel like they’re going to expose my waistline and that’s a no go for winter wear.

If anyone else was on the fence with the parka, go for it.
EA4AF8E2-9110-4145-85AD-2BCAB42CAEFE.jpeg
35093436-24D1-43AE-83CC-634685AEA162.jpeg
F35C5E9F-7F45-4E4E-A029-6341EB371530.jpeg
D58602F0-1822-4E49-81D2-501F7246FCE9.jpeg
33A6E05D-70F4-46C3-BC2F-E8146C94C0F4.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads