• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hate grenadine. It snags if you even look at it funny, and my Hober ties the fattest knot I've seen.

Sounds like user error. Grenadine fina is hard to snag. Grossa snags a bit easier, but if you keep your nails and calluses neat and in check, it's easy to avoid.

Your Hober knots are probably big because:

A) You didn't specify the correct length/width.

or

B) You aren't pulling your knots tight enough.

or

C) You need to re-calibrate your opinion of what a proper knot size is.

Regardless, you can always ask David about changing the tie's proportions so the knot size is smaller. But most people don't need to do this if they get the aforementioned specs correct.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two places. I'm talking to both of them.
0A21B5A2-C81A-4197-880A-0B7B60D7CAC1.jpeg

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about S&M collar sizing on RTW shirts.

I take a 15.5 slim in CT, when you measure the collar on their shirts from the centre of the collar button to the end of the buttonhole, they actually measure 16", CT add an extra 0.5" for comfort and perhaps to accommodate any shrinkage.

Do S&M do the same, will a 15.5" have an additional 0.5 inch on the collar or are they true to size?

Many thanks

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question about S&M collar sizing on RTW shirts.

I take a 15.5 slim in CT, when you measure the collar on their shirts from the centre of the collar button to the end of the buttonhole, they actually measure 16", CT add an extra 0.5" for comfort and perhaps to accommodate any shrinkage.

Do S&M do the same, will a 15.5" have an additional 0.5 inch on the collar or are they true to size?

Many thanks

Same we add 1/2" to the collar for shrinkage.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay
For those of us that have ordered custom madetomeasure suiting, is the factory back up and working on them yet?

Yes, but they only have limited staff. only about 40% of the staff is back. Most are the sewing workers. They have very limited administrative or technical staff back. So it's still a bit slow. I was told, they should be at 80% by March 1st.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
This really tempts me to MTO a neapolitan cut one. Maybe some lighter buttons.
Do you find it versatile?
Yeah, definitely. I think if you like windowpane, it could make a good MTO option. I've worn mine with a knitted vest and shirt/tie, or with something like a rollneck, or a Spier long sleeved polo. It's a good jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads