• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Even though it's a very nice jacket in its current shape, rather than the width I would like to see the lapel meet the collar at a steeper angle. I understand if it would be too much work to change the pattern, but if something like THIS could be arranged, I'd be very interested in trying it.

@spiermackay

MTM

zewill

Reaction score
This year's brown Moon herringbone is certainly roomier than other jackets.

Sure feels that way when I put it on.. makes online purchasing very tricky! @spiermackay is there an explanation to this like "cut to a different style" or something else? If that info can be know in advance ( eg true to size, sizes big, etc) it would make ordering much easier :) not trying to complain, just some advice that would lead to lower returns probably and more Informed purchasing!
Maybe it's just tolerance were larger and you didn't know about it, or its supposed to be seeing the fabric, and im a noob for not noticing before purchasing:)

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

You have told us there is a green seersucker suit inbound. Any other cotton suit (separates)? If so which color?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I agree with both of you :thumbs-up:

It's the length of the jacket combined with a high-rise trouser that makes it look "odd."

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Is the full canvas suit ever going on sale?

This is why habitual sales suck. They cheapen the product in the eyes of the customer and train them to wait for the "real" price, when the original price was more than fair ($600 for a full canvas suit in British fabric!). This then encourages the manufacturer to cut costs and the next round of stuff is a bit worse, and the viscous cycle continues until we're all wearing boxy poly suits from JCP, which fall apart after a season and end up a plasticky mess in the Pacific, and then people complain that no one makes things like they used to.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why habitual sales suck. They cheapen the product in the eyes of the customer and train them to wait for the "real" price, when the original price was more than fair ($600 for a full canvas suit in British fabric!). This then encourages the manufacturer to cut costs and the next round of stuff is a bit worse, and the viscous cycle continues until we're all wearing boxy poly suits from JCP, which fall apart after a season and end up a plasticky mess in the Pacific, and then people complain that no one makes things like they used to.
First off, this is not meant to cast aspersions on any and all bargain hunters. Obviously we love a deal, it is part of why we follow this thread.

That said, waiting for a style/fabric to hit sale is a great way to ensure that one of two things happens:

A) Future prices will go up, perhaps dramatically. The sale shell game gets more complicated the more you use it.

B) That style/fabric will never be seen again. The value of the good is compromised by the sale and the seller is far less likely to use it in the future. Retailers, especially those who are interested in producing and selling at value (in other words: not inflated), don't necessarily want to see their goods devalued.

Head over to the BST thread and see how many NWT/NWOT items are offered. Quite a few. I would bet nearly all of them are bought on sale.

Most of this advice we all stare at with glassy eyes and nod, likely having heard it before. Most of us (including myself) probably tell ourselves that we keep this in mind and don't do it. Evidence would suggest otherwise. I myself just perused the sale section.

I think we need fewer "No Purchase Novembers" and more "Full Price Februaries"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads