• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By give I just mean some fabrics naturally stretch a little and others don’t. Like linen has no give whatsoever, so if your trousers don't have extra room, they'll tear at the seams, where as most wool trousers have some give (except certain weaves, like some tweeds which have none).
but, if peoples' experience is that they do have some give, that's reassuring. i don't wear my trousers tight but i do like a relatively slim knee.
Can't speak to that. I wear Contemporary fit and I size up. Don't like 'm tight.

bukowski

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum. Without having to reread the entire thread, how does Spier and Mackay’s contemporary fit sportscoats fit compare to other brands? I am about 6 feet tall, 213lbs, and waist around 35”. I tend to have issues with most brands having too tight-fitting shoulders, chest, and biceps. For a recent bespoke jacket, 43.5” (actual chest as measured is 41.5) was used for the chest area. I have a bad shoulder and if jackets are too tight or have little range of motion , I tend to start to ache after a while. For reference, I have an over the the rack 42r regent fit brooks brothers jacket that is unbearably tight. Thanks!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum. Without having to reread the entire thread, how does Spier and Mackay’s contemporary fit sportscoats fit compare to other brands? I am about 6 feet tall, 213lbs, and waist around 35”. I tend to have issues with most brands having too tight-fitting shoulders, chest, and biceps. For a recent bespoke jacket, 43.5” (actual chest as measured is 41.5) was used for the chest area. I have a bad shoulder and if jackets are too tight or have little range of motion , I tend to start to ache after a while. For reference, I have an over the the rack 42r regent fit brooks brothers jacket that is unbearably tight. Thanks!
Have you checked here to compare to your bespoke or preferred brand's sizing specs?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any pictures in this thread where someone wears the Harris tweed Green check jacket? Considering buying it but would like to see some pics of it in the wild first.

Am considering the grey and brown check as well, but ideally I'd want one without the brown checks, consisting of only grey.

Viatu

Reaction score

I have the same issue. I emailed @spiermackay last night to ask about the arm hole and bicep size in their 52R MTO suits. If their suits can't fit me I'll most likely meet up with WW Chan when they come in my area in March.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Rick, @spiermackay @SpierTeam

I am trying to buy a MTM shirt, but when I add it to my cart it is doubling the $99 price or something wacko like that.

Here's the screen shot showing the 4 items and the total cost is way out of wack.

I've cleared cache and cookies already and emptied my cart and re-added them several times. How can I fix this?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, debating between trying a 42 or 44r

I would 100% go with the 44 based on what you wrote. I have a 42L (contemporary) sportcoat from S&M and it is definitely more trim that my 42L regent cut from BB.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Rick, @spiermackay @SpierTeam

I am trying to buy a MTM shirt, but when I add it to my cart it is doubling the $99 price or something wacko like that.

Here's the screen shot showing the 4 items and the total cost is way out of wack.

I've cleared cache and cookies already and emptied my cart and re-added them several times. How can I fix this?

View attachment 1323128

usually clearing cashe works. Last ditch try in an incognito window. If that fails place the order, we'll refund the difference.

New site is done, in testing now. Should be ready to go first week of Feb. Should clear up the filters and all the weird stuff. If there is still weird stuff we can sort it quick as it's all custom code and not on any open source platform with multiple plugins causing an infinite number of conflicts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads