• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Seems like the lottery. Lots of complaints on here about slow returns. Not a good business model.

From the US, it is an international return. To keep the costs down we use the same 3rd party as we do shipping orders out to the US. For most of the returns, packages are shipped to a warehouse in Buffalo, NY. They are then loaded on a skid and consolidated with many other packages from other companies. They only truck them back to Canada once a week. The process for them to truck back, clear customs, re-sort and deliver back to us can take a week. Then factor in the time it takes us to sort the packages, inspect the return, process the refund can take several more days. So in general the minimum time would be 2 weeks, and during busy periods can be a little longer.

At the moment this is the most cost effective way to handle returns from the US. To keep prices competitive, this is the best option. We're looking at alternatives right now, but with other carriers like UPS it's significantly more expensive. The trade off is price v speed. If you want a faster return process, sure we can go another route, but be prepared to pay more for it. There is no such thing as free returns. Someone is paying for it.

Last edited:

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the US, it is an international return. To keep the costs down we use the same 3rd party as we do shipping orders out to the US. For most of the returns, packages are shipped to a warehouse in Buffalo, NY. They are then loaded on a skid and consolidated with many other packages from other companies. They only bring truck back once a week. The process for them to truck back, clear customs, re-sort and deliver back to us can take a week. Then factor in the time it takes us to sort the packages, inspect the return, process the refund can take several more days. So in general the minimum time would be 2 weeks, and during busy periods can be a little longer.

At the moment this is the most cost effective way to handle returns from the US. To keep prices competitive, this is the best option. We're looking at alternatives right now, but with other carriers like UPS it's significantly more expensive. The trade off is price v speed. If you want a faster return process, sure we can go another route, but be prepared to pay more for it. There is no such thing as free returns. Someone is paying for it.
Off topic but living in south Florida I wonder if S&M considers unlined or butterfly/partial lined suits and sport coats?
Also, will you be offering more peak lapels going forward?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all VBC fabrics are carried as stock items by them. A vast majority of the collection is produced on order. Most tailors only have access to the stock collection. I'll have to double check, but I think the navy was not a stock cloth. We had a little left over from production, but it has since sold out. I'll check and get back to you.
Just heard back from VBC and was told that they stock both fabrics (medium grey flannel 504.801/4 & navy flannel 504.80/331). Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Either the navy was a stock item to begin with, or VBC made some of the order fabric for themself as well to keep.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is correct. We were testing it out. So far it's not a strong sell. Best would be to MTO 34S
**** I'd be happy to have that as a waist size. I would think the highest quantities would be in 40, 42, 44 in R and L.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe I should contact VBC directly with the product code instead.
I thought it was inadvisable to try and match more items from the same cloth unless you know you were getting it from the same roll as there might be variations from roll to roll even with the same cloth. Take that for what it's worth.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was inadvisable to try and match more items from the same cloth unless you know you were getting it from the same roll as there might be variations from roll to roll even with the same cloth. Take that for what it's worth.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. It's a risk, but one I'm willing to take. I'll purchase the fabricand hope for the best. If it doesn't match I'll just use them as odd trousers as the colours are versatile, at least the mid grey. As for the navy, I've been looking for a navy flannel trouder for some time now.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm aware of that. It's a risk, but one I'm willing to take. I'll purchase the fabricand hope for the best. If it doesn't match I'll just use them as odd trousers as the colours are versatile, at least the mid grey. As for the navy, I've been looking for a navy flannel trouder for some time now.
OK, as long as you're aware.

tripreed

Reaction score
Off topic but living in south Florida I wonder if S&M considers unlined or butterfly/partial lined suits and sport coats?

It seems to me that a lot of their jackets are butterfly/partially lined, which is something I love. It will usually indicate this in the "Finer Details" section for each product.

mux8

Reaction score
Regarding returns...I totally agree, mine is taking a month and I still haven't seen it back on my card.

I would love to see a better website checkout system and return infrastructure.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding returns...I totally agree, mine is taking a month and I still haven't seen it back on my card.

Just curious if any of you waiting on returns used PayPal. If so its them who holds things up for weeks. Their policy is it can take up to a month to see a PayPal return credit back to your CC. Last credit took over 3 weeks from PayPal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads