• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1up

VahanJan

Reaction score
And this is a picture of a real dog. What's your point?

View attachment 1321588

There's no "real" Gurkha trouser considering that they evolved from the Gurkha short.
My point was that a pair of high-rise pants with an extended waistband (and double closure) don't really qualify as Gurkha trousers, considering the vast differences in waistband design and function.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the product and will continue to buy, but have to agree about returns. I don't expect an immediate return upon shipment, but the one I made took over a month. That's ridiculous IMO, as in my case I wanted to use that money to buy something else, which sold out while I was waiting.
Bought 3 suits from S&M. Returned two. No problems whatsoever and refund was quick.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I encountered something interesting recently. I contacted S&M initially regarding MTO/MTM trousers made out of the navy flannel (https://www.spierandmackay.com/vbc-navy-flannel-neapolitan-cut.html). They told me that there wasn't any fabric available. So I contacted a local tailor who stocks a large quantity of VBC fabrics and has access to their books in order to get a pair of trousers made.

I asked him about this particular fabric and provided the product code provided by S&M. But I was told by him that the referenced product code provided by S&M is wrong and that that's not how VBC usually label their fabrics. The tailor asked for a picture from the inside of the SC pocket, which i provided (which has the same product code as the one provided at the website and which was given to me over email from S&M). So I visited the VBC website and tried to look for the fabric but couldn't find it.

I contacted another affiliate vendor at SF as well and inquired about the fabric and was told that they couldn't identify the fabric based on the product code provided by S&M.

Should I just give up? I'd really love to have a pair of trousers made to match my SC.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I encountered something interesting recently. I contacted S&M initially regarding MTO/MTM trousers made out of the navy flannel (https://www.spierandmackay.com/vbc-navy-flannel-neapolitan-cut.html). They told me that there wasn't any fabric available. So I contacted a local tailor who stocks a large quantity of VBC fabrics and has access to their books in order to get a pair of trousers made.

I asked him about this particular fabric and provided the product code provided by S&M. But I was told by him that the referenced product code provided by S&M is wrong and that that's not how VBC usually label their fabrics. The tailor asked for a picture from the inside of the SC pocket, which i provided (which has the same product code as the one provided at the website and which was given to me over email from S&M). So I visited the VBC website and tried to look for the fabric but couldn't find it.

I contacted another affiliate vendor at SF as well and inquired about the fabric and was told that they couldn't identify the fabric based on the product code provided by S&M.

Should I just give up? I'd really love to have a pair of trousers made to match my SC.

the code is labeled properly how VBC does. It’s showing as 504-801/3 which is indeed a VBC code, however for a lighter grey. Maybe @spiermackay can chime in and let us know the right code for that one for you.
The grey VBC on the site is showing 504-801/4 which after a quick google search appears to be correct.

part of not being able to find it on the VBC site is that they only post a few colors from the bunches and not all the fabrics.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It’s more likely they simply aren’t stocking 34S Contemp to begin with for most items. That’s uh, an unusual size.

This is correct. We were testing it out. So far it's not a strong sell. Best would be to MTO 34S

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Rick mentioned that buttoning point would be proportional to jacket length -- so yes, longer jacket = lower buttoning point.

But I'm wondering if, as an extension of your example, selecting 37L and and then reducing the length to that of a 37R would result in a lower buttoning point than a stock 37R.

I doubt this is the case, but would be good if @spiermackay @SpierTeam could chime in.

bump @spiermackay any thoughts about this?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, unsual enough for it to sell out so quickly.

A lot don't sell out quick. Many items we never made in 34S to begin with. The size may be grayed out because for that item because when the product on the site is created they start with the template that has 34S as a potential option, but when inventory is loaded, the 34S is at 0 for that item.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Not all VBC fabrics are carried as stock items by them. A vast majority of the collection is produced on order. Most tailors only have access to the stock collection. I'll have to double check, but I think the navy was not a stock cloth. We had a little left over from production, but it has since sold out. I'll check and get back to you.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all VBC fabrics are carried as stock items by them. A vast majority of the collection is produced on order. Most tailors only have access to the stock collection. I'll have to double check, but I think the navy was not a stock cloth. We had a little left over from production, but it has since sold out. I'll check and get back to you.
Appreciate the prompt reply. Thank you and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics