• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just not SF enough, I'll stick with belt loops, standard rise.

Wearing the pea coat today, I like that the hand warmer pockets are actually decently sized so you can fit your hands in with gloves on. It was 15F this morning and I wished I had layered on a wool sweater. For me only being 5'8" it's long for a pea coat but I like it that way. I'll need to have about 3 inches taken off the sleeves I just have them folded over and stitched temporarily for now. I'll get it altered after winter is over.

Does anyone know if you can get suede or leather sleeves shortened. I tried to stitch up a suede jacket and couldn't get the need through. Not sure a tailor would have the tools for it who handles that sort of thing?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get suede or leather sleeves shortened. I tried to stitch up a suede jacket and couldn't get the need through. Not sure a tailor would have the tools for it who handles that sort of thing?

You definitely can. I've had leather sleeves shortened and even slimmed. A good tailor can do it. I suggest finding an old Italian lady. It's pricey, though.

nietorpyehw

Reaction score
Is he increasing the armhole? Or just letting fabric out of there to increase width of the upper back?
Wow. I never thought about this. Can anyone comment if increasing the armhole is possible or is it more of the ladder?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I never thought about this. Can anyone comment if increasing the armhole is possible or is it more of the ladder?
I would imagine that you could increase the armhole by however much inlay is remaining in the sleevehead. It's probably not much though.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, but the majority of S&M's customers are not #menswear geeks. Didn't I read that S&M is not going to offer their Neapolitan cut in RTW suits (only MTO) because they didn't sell well? If they can't sell that to their mainstream customers, forget trying to sell gurkha trousers to them.
I think you mean peak lapel suits will be MTM only, not Neapolitan.

I don't need mainstream RTW gurkhas, but a pattern for MTM would be nice. Otherwise, I'll keep heading to Spain for mine.

bnd6xc

Reaction score
Hate to break up a healthy Gurkha discussion, but does anyone have sizing advice on the chukkas?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a current SF discount code? Or specific to trousers/shirts.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus long term review on their shoes?

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My size RTW shirts virtually all gone. 1 blue fine twill left in my size. Whites, pinks, checks, stripes... all SO
Certainly can be frustrating, which is why I recently placed an order with a competitor MTM for some casual flannels.

Still, I am going to order a popover MTM right now and maybe my first ocbd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads