• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To you Spier & Mackay pros, has anyone that commissioned a more structured suit from S&M would be willing to share some photos of his results?

I'm interested in trying them out for some work suits but stereotypical British-style (e.g. structured, roped) suits look best on me and I haven't really seen many examples of this from them so I'm a bit hesitant.

This is SF. Shoulder pads don't exist around these parts. Lol. FWIW, I personally am a huge fan of the English style. A strong shoulder and nipped waist in heavy cloth for that suit of armour look.

Any one else around here interested in something like that?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is SF. Shoulder pads don't exist around these parts. Lol. FWIW, I personally am a huge fan of the English style. A strong shoulder and nipped waist in heavy cloth for that suit of armour look.

I would be, but for MTM. With my build a soft shoulder RTW is much more forgiving.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Rick, quick question. I have been looking for quite some time for a suit in blue or dark blue windowpane with the windowpane being white or cream colored. Something like the picture here in a linen or linen blend. The only ones I can find are more structured than I would like or have lapels too thin for me. Do you have any fabrics that I could order MTM that are similar to this?

I'd have to dig, I'm sure there is something. @SpierTeam can we get on this.

dhizzy123

Reaction score
To you Spier & Mackay pros, has anyone that commissioned a more structured suit from S&M would be willing to share some photos of his results?

I'm interested in trying them out for some work suits but stereotypical British-style (e.g. structured, roped) suits look best on me and I haven't really seen many examples of this from them so I'm a bit hesitant.
I have a non MTO with padded shoulder and a MTO on the way with them as well. The shoulder padding is very soft and creates a similar effect to the natural shoulder on an American sack suit from a manufacturer like Southwick or Hickey Freeman. I like it as it doesn’t come across too formal, but still provides some structure to the shoulder, which I think works best on a narrower frame.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes! I’m up for an English suit. Maybe even hacking pockets and a ticket pocket.

jcep

Reaction score

I've noticed that trend but I've given the soft shoulder look a try and, while extremely comfortable, it doesn't look as flattering on me as a more structured suit, particularly when it comes to a business suit intended for more formal/serious environments.

To add some context, I was referring specifically to MTM for a commission w/ you guys. In regards to the shoulder, I'd be shooting for something similar to the RLBL Anthony/RLPL Gregory (i.e. extended, structured, lightly roped - the body would also be fully canvassed to keep the formality) not something extreme a la Tommy Nutter.

konoyaro

Reaction score
Let it out. It can be let out at the waist and seat more than 1" easy.
Indeed, they are already at the tailors.
Just providing a data point for would be buyers. If I have to alter the waist, I prefer taking in to letting out due to grater potential of exposing a rough seam, etc.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised the Angelico Navy & Blue check is still available. I may need to buy it while it’s on sale ... are there any real world pics out there?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these would you consider more of a staple for someone who doesn't have any brown coats? Fox Brothers Brown Check vs Abe Moon Brown Herringbone? And while neither might be all-season, which could be worn more outside of fall/winter?

Last edited:

VJ01

Reaction score
Nothing. I wear a 32 contemporary, and all I do is have the leg opening narrowed.

drfwtx

Reaction score
Which of these would you consider more of a staple for someone who doesn't have any brown coats? Fox Brothers Brown Check vs Abe Moon Brown Herringbone? And while neither might be all-season, which could be worn more outside of fall/winter?

View attachment 1320484

View attachment 1320485
I’d say the fox bro’s jacket as the pattern is very subtle and flannel can dress up or down a bit easier than tweed IMO.

VJ01

Reaction score
A more structured shoulder creates a great profile for guys with larger stomach.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1320484

View attachment 1320485
Fabric wise, I'd say the former. Colour and pattern wise, the latter although the former is versatile as well. Overall if I had to chose in the basis of versatility, I'd go with the former because of the fabric. I own the latter.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

As you have mentioned several times there is a +/- 1 cm production margin on RTW. Is MTO made with the same specs or to a higher degree of accuracy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads