• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of these more expensive, riskier suits we're considering for MTO. Once the fabric is available it will be easy to have the suit made up the way you like it. For example, VBC Revenge 150s we can offer in MTO for less than $650 USD. That's less than Suitsupply would offer the same OTR.
So are the 100% cotton coming for MTO? What will be the price points be like?

I'm envisioning something like a khaki neo triple patch suit with high rise pants.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing from R to L drops the button stance yes?

Figuring this out for a future MTO order of possibly going 37L.

cyclemanic

Reaction score
Changing from R to L drops the button stance yes?

Figuring this out for a future MTO order of possibly going 37L.

Rick mentioned that buttoning point would be proportional to jacket length -- so yes, longer jacket = lower buttoning point.

But I'm wondering if, as an extension of your example, selecting 37L and and then reducing the length to that of a 37R would result in a lower buttoning point than a stock 37R.

I doubt this is the case, but would be good if @spiermackay @SpierTeam could chime in.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pea coat arrived today, quick test fit with just a t-shirt on seems like the right size. The sleeves will need to be shortened but I figured that with a 48.
70557B62-8292-472E-A9E6-CD90740D0232.jpeg

Saodavi

Reaction score
Pea coat arrived today, quick test fit with just a t-shirt on seems like the right size. The sleeves will need to be shortened but I figured that with a 48.
View attachment 1320092
That looks great. Do you think it will fit well as an overcoat over a suit? It seems more practical to me than the larger polo coat.

Also, how does the color appear to you? It says "black" on the SM website, but it looks more like a charcoal in some photos.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick mentioned that buttoning point would be proportional to jacket length -- so yes, longer jacket = lower buttoning point.

But I'm wondering if, as an extension of your example, selecting 37L and and then reducing the length to that of a 37R would result in a lower buttoning point than a stock 37R.

I doubt this is the case, but would be good if @spiermackay @SpierTeam could chime in.
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance the Navy - Full Canvas - Neapolitan Cut suit will be back in stock in a 36S soon? :-D

Amine

Reaction score
Gents, it's that time of year. We're working on FW20 - actually I'm behind a bit with placing fabric orders.

So what would you like to see for FW20

Kindly remember not to post pics of products from other forum affiliates!
I would love to see full canvas double breasted chalk stripes suits in heavier worsted wool or flannel, as well as more rakish colors such as burgundy. Double breasted chesterfields (just plain and simple 6x2 overcoats) with roped shoulders would be lovely :D

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see full canvas double breasted chalk stripes suits in heavier worsted wool or flannel, as well as more rakish colors such as burgundy. Double breasted chesterfields (just plain and simple 6x2 overcoats) with roped shoulders would be lovely :D
Sounds like you would need to go MTO with those requests

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The suits you are requesting can be ordered now via MTO.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Hey Rick, quick question. I have been looking for quite some time for a suit in blue or dark blue windowpane with the windowpane being white or cream colored. Something like the picture here in a linen or linen blend. The only ones I can find are more structured than I would like or have lapels too thin for me. Do you have any fabrics that I could order MTM that are similar to this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 10.45.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 10.45.53 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 100

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great. Do you think it will fit well as an overcoat over a suit? It seems more practical to me than the larger polo coat.

Also, how does the color appear to you? It says "black" on the SM website, but it looks more like a charcoal in some photos.

I think it would be fine over a suit, I wanted enough room to be able to wear a thick sweater or coat under it and for me this should work. I usually prefer single breasted overcoats and I have one in navy, DB coats seem a bit formal which is fine if that is what you are looking for. I have always like the pea coat design and this is replacing a cheaper solid black one I bought a couple of years ago. I'll try to get some other shots in better lighting but since it's a bit of a Donegal and textured it doesn't come off as a solid black.

I'd say this is pretty accurate:
79944-801-809-2.jpg

jcep

Reaction score
To you Spier & Mackay pros, has anyone that commissioned a more structured suit from S&M would be willing to share some photos of his results?

I'm interested in trying them out for some work suits but stereotypical British-style (e.g. structured, roped) suits look best on me and I haven't really seen many examples of this from them so I'm a bit hesitant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads