• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shabbytraddy

Reaction score
The parka looks great and I’m very intrigued. But I feel like the first generation items often have minor flaws - such as the tiny pockets on the polo coat - that get corrected in future versions. Once bitten, twice shy, I guess.

I’m also hesitant because a parka is a bit more of a technical jacket, in my opinion, than say a topcoat. I don’t have enough information to justify the purchase yet.

I’d love for @spiermackay to provide more details about the jacket.

Yeah, definitely more "technical"--I'm only planning to wear it in casual (i.e., non-tailoring) situations. A sport coat would feel weird underneath it, and the peacoat or topcoat covers that ground.

I'm going to talk with my tailor about putting a 6-8" center vent in the back. I'm a fit 44R with a 9 inch drop (makes trousers fun...) and I ordered a large parka. The hips feel somewhat tight when zipped, but you can use buttons and leave bottom unbuttoned for a bit more movement/room. This is largely a factor of how much goddam down is in this thing. I have pre-kid background in rock, alpine and ice climbing, and this ****** will definitely keep you warm. Seems like an XL would be just crazy big and I'm more interested in it looking sharp than looking Fargo. Although I just checked and they updated fit guide with jacket recs and XL=44, so maybe I'll exchange it to see how that feels.

Chest pockets are on the smaller side, but I would only put non-gloved hands in there so that doesn't bother me.

Down quilting/baffling looks well-done, and the outer fabric is thick and burly. It's a heavy ******* coat.

Fur trim splays a little weirdly, but wondering if that's just packing/storage and it will settle with time.

Just trying to share feedback for folks who might be interested. Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.

PS: picked up a brushed heather navy suit (core, I think?) and that's a really nice staple piece, fyi.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a coat a few years back with the zipper reversed like that. I always assumed it was a US vs. Britain thing. I will say that it took me almost a full winter season of wearing to get used to unzipping it with my left hand and not my right.

Agree. For the past 25 years, I've owned a field coat made by a now defunct German mf'r. named Duck Valley and it has the zipper pull on the left. In the beginning, it took a little time for me to adjust but before long using it became second nature. In fact, I just had to go visually check to confirm that the zipper is indeed "left handed", and I last wore it last night. lol. Good luck.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. For the past 25 years, I've had a field coat made in Germany by a defunct mf'r. named Duck Valley and it has the zipper pull on the left. It took a little time for me to adjust but before long using it became second nature. In fact, I just had to go visually check to confirm that the zipper being "left handed" is indeed the case. lol. Good luck.

Mine is made by Steinbock which is apparently Austrian. Bought through Orvis

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the zipper is both a european and US men and womens thing. EU men setup = US womens. US mens setup = EU womens.

When i put on my jackets bought on a US vacation it always feel weird.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to talk with my tailor about putting a 6-8" center vent in the back.
Doubt that’s going to work. To construct a vent you need overlap or else it will always be gaping open. you won’t have enough material to do it properly on a finished garment.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SpierTeam , is it possible to get trousers cuffed via the MTO program?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the fabric of the v1 neopolitan suit? Dino filarte?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for the rust Neapolitan sport coat, which unfortunately is sold out in my size. If anyone is willing to part with their SC, please shoot me a message as I'm willing to ease your burden. Looking for size 40R, preferably slim.

Attachments

• 20180724-DSCF6928-683x1024.jpg
    20180724-DSCF6928-683x1024.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 126

LottaNova1

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice here. I ordered a 38R Contemporary Fit sportcoat recently. It's labeled 38R Contemporary on the tags as expected, but the measurements seem off. Measuring the half chest / half waist / and length I get 20.5" (41" around) / 18.2" (36.4" around) / 29.3" which are more in line with the Slim Fit than the Contemporary (difference of about an inch in the chest and waist). Slim is listed at 40.9" chest / 36.2" waist / 29.3" length. Contemporary is listed at 41.7" chest / 37.4" waist / 29.5" length.

I'm not one to futz over a few centimetres, but we're talking about a whole inch in the waist. Should I just chalk this up to "normal variation" or does this seem unusual? Anyone else have a 38R Contemporary they could measure for comparison?

The issue for me is that the stated measurements should theoretically fit, but the product I got is a bit snug, so I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal. Shoulders are a good fit, so sizing up likely won't help. Could be that Spier is just not for me ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads