• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RCD33

Reaction score
Great stuff. Is the second jacket the same brown Harris Tweed that’s listed in the MTO section?

shabbytraddy

Reaction score
Anyone else order a parka? Mine just delivered. It's a ******* tank, really nice. Only construction nitpick is that the zipper is reversed from my experience (i.e., the pull on the wearer's left, rather than the right). Maybe this is a CA vs US thing? But really well made and will be plenty goddam warm for NYC winters (especially these days...).

Tailoring feels a little stocky, though. I was hoping for something that felt similar to the SM peacoat (I have first edition, still love it such a great coat and really well cut: fashion industry folk I know in NYC are always admiring). I think the parka could use a back vent, which I know kinda defeats the purpose of a parka but then again, tailoring for the win, right?

Would love thoughts from others who've purchased. As always, if you're on the fence, just ******* buy it.

jamie411

Reaction score
The parka looks great and I’m very intrigued. But I feel like the first generation items often have minor flaws - such as the tiny pockets on the polo coat - that get corrected in future versions. Once bitten, twice shy, I guess.

I’m also hesitant because a parka is a bit more of a technical jacket, in my opinion, than say a topcoat. I don’t have enough information to justify the purchase yet.

I’d love for @spiermackay to provide more details about the jacket.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got a custom made jacket that is basically a perfect fit on me. For the online MTO system, I can measure out that jacket's measurements, put them in the system, and the clothes should come out the same?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've got a custom made jacket that is basically a perfect fit on me. For the online MTO system, I can measure out that jacket's measurements, put them in the system, and the clothes should come out the same?
If the custom jacket was not made by S&M then definitely not. How could the few measurements that you enter for MTO result in an identical jacket? shoulder slope, armhole shape and size, sleeve width and taper, etc etc

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the custom jacket was not made by S&M then definitely not. How could the few measurements that you enter for MTO result in an identical jacket? shoulder slope, armhole shape and size, sleeve width and taper, etc etc
Hm, good point. I want to try and replicate the fit of an existing jacket because it is the best fitting jacket I own.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe go back to whomever made you that perfect-fitting jacket?
I'm in another country now and its way more expensive, not to say I won't get something special made by him again next year

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
SuitSupply Lazio 44 fits me perfectly. Which size should I go with in S&M, and which fit? Thanks.

Spex

Reaction score
I completely missed the notification on the sportcoat sale. Does anyone know if the online stock matches that of the Mississauga warehouse, or if they potentially have more sizes available at the physical location? I suppose at this point I'd rather not know, since I missed the boat...

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else order a parka? Mine just delivered. It's a ******* tank, really nice. Only construction nitpick is that the zipper is reversed from my experience (i.e., the pull on the wearer's left, rather than the right). Maybe this is a CA vs US thing? But really well made and will be plenty goddam warm for NYC winters (especially these days...).

Tailoring feels a little stocky, though. I was hoping for something that felt similar to the SM peacoat (I have first edition, still love it such a great coat and really well cut: fashion industry folk I know in NYC are always admiring). I think the parka could use a back vent, which I know kinda defeats the purpose of a parka but then again, tailoring for the win, right?

Would love thoughts from others who've purchased. As always, if you're on the fence, just ******* buy it.

I bought a coat a few years back with the zipper reversed like that. I always assumed it was a US vs. Britain thing. I will say that it took me almost a full winter season of wearing to get used to unzipping it with my left hand and not my right.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I bought a coat a few years back with the zipper reversed like that. I always assumed it was a US vs. Britain thing. I will say that it took me almost a full winter season of wearing to get used to unzipping it with my left hand and not my right.

It's not a Canadian or European thing; it's a women's thing. Women's buttons and zippers are traditionally on the left side. Can't believe S&M would make this mistake. Not like I need a parka anyway, living in Houston. (Is Houston S&M's biggest market outside Canada? Seems so, from this thread anyway, lol.)

+1 to the comment about avoiding v1 of S&M products. I love S&M, they make some fantastic clothes for the price, and are always making improvements. But this is a double-edged sword, as first (and even second) iterations of items usually have some glaring defects.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They did the same things with the hoodie...reverse zipper. Very odd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads