• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pics of the new shoes, Rick?

I'm on my way to the Portuguese factory on Thursday to discuss the program. Don't have the samples in hand.

But preliminary details are Full Grain Calf. Leather sourced in France. Same Tannery as J.M. Weston. GYW. We initially developed a last similar to the C&J 373, which is a chisel toe. Came out excellent. Quality is a notch above Meermin IMO. Target price of $349 CAD/$279 USD.

Santastinks

Reaction score
Just picked up the olive moleskin jacket, and holy hell is it nice.

I have never been the biggest fan of patch pockets or pick sticking, but it comes together beautifully.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the olive moleskin jacket, and holy hell is it nice.

I have never been the biggest fan of patch pockets or pick sticking, but it comes together beautifully.

Great choice, the moleskin jackets really made up beautifully in both style and fit.

teknique22

Reaction score
I bought two suits - 36R Slim and 36R Contemporary. The shoulder length appears to be the same for both (17.3"), however they feel very different during wear, and I can't figure out the reason why. Is the bicep cut differently? Is the pitch adjusted in the Contemporary? Please see below, and help advise for why this may be the case:

36R Slim
p46iuoR.jpg

36R Contemporary
fbtEI3f.jpg

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to speculate why based on a single photo, but the contemporary is your fit.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could help speculate based on the uploaded images below? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

36R Slim - https://imgur.com/a/cXiO7
36R Contemporary - https://imgur.com/a/MIyBc
Adjustment areas https://imgur.com/a/ou1W1

Contemporary looks way better on you without question. That bump on the back of the neck is from a neck back posture. A tailor should be able to remove the collar and take up the extra material I would think.

I believe the chest, waist, bicep, and armhole are all adjusted on the contemporary to have more room. In your case that is certainly helping it drape better.

posture.png

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a tailor. I recognize problems just fine, but leave them to my tailors to diagnose and fix. Sorry. You should have better luck in the tailor's thread.

Separately, the pants you are wearing in the photos are not good fits. Don't be afraid to size up and tailor down on both the jackets and pants. I think your preference for a close fit is causing issues.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You might even want to try sizing up.

exfalso

Reaction score
however they feel very different during wear, and I can't figure out the reason why
This one is easy at least -- contemporary jackets are wider in the chest/waist area, and 36 slim is definitely too small for you. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I'd say it's mostly because of some pulling in the upper chest area.

teknique22

Reaction score
Contemporary looks way better on you without question. That bump on the back of the neck is from a neck back posture. A tailor should be able to remove the collar and take up the extra material I would think.

I believe the chest, waist, bicep, and armhole are all adjusted on the contemporary to have more room. In your case that is certainly helping it drape better.

posture.png

Definitely makes sense. I don't think it's a huge alteration. I agree the Contemporary definitely looks better, but it is with trade-offs, mainly a square cut and definitely not as form-fitting. I just think that going that route is just adding allowance rather than figuring out the actual cause of the issue.

I know for a fact I have forward, sloping shoulders and in addition I strongly believe the sleeve pitch is off on the 36R Slim. Do you think the "divots" in my shoulder appear to be caused from a simple sleeve pitch adjustment? If that's the case, which I think it is, as the dimples do disappear when I hold my arms in front of me, then I believe the only alteration I would need is maybe Chest +0.5" and a rotated sleeve to fix the arm area. Thoughts?

teknique22

Reaction score
This one is easy at least -- contemporary jackets are wider in the chest/waist area, and 36 slim is definitely too small for you. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I'd say it's mostly because of some pulling in the upper chest area.

What about the arm drag lines? Upper bicep/shoulder area. I think the way to go is +0.5" (in between Slim and Contemporary) in the chest and adjust the sleeve pitch. Thoughts?

infinidox

Reaction score

posture.png

I've had to get the back of neck/shoulders fixed on my sport coats/suit jacket because of that same wrinkle. Costs me $55. Seems to be because of forward-leaning/hunched shoulders, so fixing that portion of your posture might solve the issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics