1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Slated for sometime in Summer. Under production right now. Don't have a solid date until I know they are on the way.

2. Ilikeyourstyle

Ilikeyourstyle New Member

I just received my first Spier & Mackay order -- the contemporary fit solid navy model 2 suit. Some notes:

- Ordered early Tuesday morning and received it in Toronto on Wednesday afternoon.
    - 5'10 175 lbs, ordered the 40R and the coat fits true to size
    - The fabric feels soft and at least every bit as good as what I typically find in this price range.
    - The suit came out of the box without any wrinkling/creasing.
    - The mid-torso button position is perfect, seemingly halfway down the front
    - The lapels have a nice subtle roll to them.
    - I have a moderately muscular/athletic frame, but the sleeves still fit me well.
    - My favourite part of the suit coat is how the back of it fits around the shoulder blades and back of the neck without any roll or excess fabric.
    - I have a slight divot in my sloped right shoulder, but I have this in nearly every suit I can find.
    - The pants are tighter than I expected. The rise might be shorter than I am used to, though it is not a dealbreaker.
    - The width of the leg opening is more like 15.7 than the 16.3 on the size guide, which was my only disappointment.

In the hopes of getting an asymmetrical shoulder fit, I will be taking a look at the MTM suit program in-store, though I may keep this suit too. It's tough to find something this nice at this price point, especially since most imports get hit with duties/brokerage.

3. spiermackay

A lot of the fit has to do with the one piece collar we implemented as well as the back leaning shoulder. Two difficult to execute details that are not found at this price point at all. The one piece collars cuts out an extra seam at the collar, allowing the collar to sit more naturally without lifting. The back leaning shoulder allows the cloth to drape off the back of the shoulder instead of the top, reducing the amount of tension at the shoulder seam. FYI, we now include these two details on all our custom suits as well as defaults.

Re: Trousers. In the OTR production, we allow for a tolerance of 1/4" on the half, so when doubled it's approx. 1/2". Some less. Some more. Majority, 80% are exact on spec. Moving forward, we've already changed the tolerance to 1/8" on the half and advised tolerances should be towards the + margin. If your trousers are bothersome and not fitting the way you like them around the hem, we can swap them out for a new pair as long as they have not been altered already. Alternatively, if you are in Toronto, we have an in house tailor now, and we can actually open the hem 1/2" for you if needed. There is enough margin in the seam to execute that without issue and will take only about 10 minutes. No charge to you of course.

Rick

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  4. Ilikeyourstyle

Ilikeyourstyle New Member

That's great customer service! Thanks for the reply, Rick.

I might have to exchange the pants for larger pair. Is that something we can pay for -- mixing 36 inch suit trousers with a 40 suit coat?

Also, having read through a bunch of this thread, I noticed you were considering opening or moving to a Toronto location. Is that still under consideration? I have at least a couple of TTC-dependent coworkers who would be interested in becoming loyal MTM customers if the store was more accessible to them. I would find it much easier, too.

5. spiermackay

As long as we have the trouser separates in stock, the sub is free of charge. If we don't have in stock, but have the cloth in the factory, we can make the correct size trouser for and extra $35, including the finished hem.

The Downtown location is still very much alive. Working hard on it as well. 2 locations fell through and looking back, probably for the better. There are a couple of different avenues we may take to get ourselves down there by fall. Should have a firmed up idea by late May.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

[​IMG]

7. spiermackay

Commercial real estate is a pain in the ass.

8. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Following up from a post back in early Jan. I was having a MTM suit made on some end of roll fabric. Anwyay, their was an issue with the fabric so Rick upgraded me to a much much nicer navy fabric. Then we hit a snag with the Chinese new year so my suit got pushed back. I got a call from the store that my jacket was in, and when I asked "you mean suit?" I was told no pants arrived so they'd follow up on what happened. I was told the pants were shipped separately and have not arrived yet. Small annoyance as it has been well over 3 months now, but I am certain this was out of Rick's control (and he must have been equally annoyed).

Also, I had 4 (originally bought 3, but added one shortly after) OTR shirts altered by S&M and cannot say enough about how much I love them. With my square shoulders, I still get some neck-roll in the back of the collar, but this is why I need to go MTM next time considering the cost of alterations basically makes paying for MTM a wash. Will definitely do that from now on. The shirts are so fantastic and have made it through dry cleanings with no issues of shrinkage or anything. Just beautiful, well-fitting shirts.

Assuming my suit is a hit, I will be having a black suit made next as I am a best man at a wedding next year (wish I didn't have to buy a black suit, but Im just happy the groom is not making us rent boxy ass rentals from Moores) and I will be encouraging the groom and other groomsmen to come to Rick for their suits. The value/service/craftsmanship is simply unparalleled in the city.

9. Spex

Spex Senior member

Coming close to pulling the trigger on the Blue Solid sportcoat (not navy), but have a few questions to help avoid unnecessary shipping back and forth.

1. Colours can be hard to discern online. Is this jacket a dark blue or a bright blue? Looking for something versatile and still business appropriate.

2. Is the surface a smooth worsted? I believe this was part of the FW 2014 line up so I imagine there's some texture there, just hard to see in the photo.

3. Fully lined?

4. How would describe the armholes? High? Comparable to Suitsupply Havana?

5. In the size charts is this a Classic Fit or Slim Fit?

Been dying I check out the store in person but it's hard to find the time and travel considering the opening hours. Cheers.

EDIT: Just placed an order for one, so I guess I'll see for myself! But if you want to provide details in the meantime, feel free. Hoping it pulls through by Friday so I can wear it to an important event!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  10. steez03

steez03 New Member

Hey Rick,

What's the current turnaround time for a M2M suit? My brother is getting married on June 5th and I'm looking to get a black suit, you guys don't seem to have any OTR black core suits in my size (40) so I thought I would inquire about M2M. I know my time frame is short, but my brother didn't announce his wedding till about 2 weeks ago, and I was notified I was a groomsman a couple of days ago, it's a long story lol

I actually just bought a grey OTR suit from you guys, just waiting for some alterations to be finished. I thought I would inquire about a suit from you before I checked else where as I really like your work + price point.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. spiermackay

I'm beyond annoyed with the delays. This is one of the reasons I'm in China at the moment. Should have everything sorted fresh by the end of this week so I can get solid timelines from the factory. All orders that were placed after March 15th, we are now exclusively working with a set up within our Off-the-Rack Factory. We are setting up this division inside the factory as a separate unit, so we have similar control over the suits as we do over the shirts. The previous factory did a great job in terms of quality, but totally off on quoted timelines. Deep apologies for the the delay on this suits and any one who placed custom suit orders just before the CNY. New orders are coming in on schedule already, but I'm still trying to shave a week on most deliveries.

1. Bright Blue
    2. Textured, Hopsack like weave, but not exactly hopsack.
    3. Fully Lined. Yes.
    4. Similar armhole height. On these particular jackets, perhaps a touch lower.
    5. These would be on the slim fit chart.

Custom from where we are now takes approx. 5 weeks + 1 week fitting/alterations. So 6 weeks before you are wearing the suit. That said, it is not a guarantee at the moment. I'm trying to knock the timeline to 4 weeks + 1 week fitting/alterations. June 5th would be cutting it way too close for us right now. Don't want to steer you wrong.

Congratulations to your brother!

BR,
    Rick

12. Spex

Spex Senior member

The above points refer to this sportcoat that I had purchased online on Sunday night. It's Tuesday now, and it arrived this afternoon! What speed!

I'll post pics later on, but I just wanted to add some comments at this time.

1. I was concerned that it might have ended up being a bit too electric of a blue. However, it's in fact just what I wanted. Not near-black navy, but a beautiful deep blue. Photos online seem to be very accurate with respect to the colour.

2. The texture is subtle but nice. Not shiny, not rough. Feels soft.

3. Overall the jacket is very light, even being fully lined (in a deep red lining).

4. Armhole height is very respectable. Not low by any means.

5. Continuing on the arm subject, I'm not supremely muscular, and some jackets appear to have very wide sleeves, especially on the upper arm. These are fitted, but not overly slim. They suit me very well.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the jacket. I failed to ask if it was dual vent (which I wanted) and it is. I measured the lapels and they seem to be more like 3" as opposed to 3.25", however maybe with time they somehow "settle". Not a big deal, though, they look good. I'm 6'2" and ordered a size 38. Sleeves will need to be lengthened, however I'm satisfied with the length of the jacket. I expected it to be on the shorter side, and was ready for that, however it is not very short. Add another cm or 2 and I'm sure most would call it "classical length". If you're 6" and under it would be no problem. Great job S&M, and I'm sure with the tweaks to the upcoming sportcoats, those will be even better.

13. caltech30

caltech30 New Member

Spier and Mackay was recommended to me from a couple of users on RFD, and they said you guys were the go to place for custom suits/sports coats.

I was looking to purchase a suit jacket or sport coat, but have had an incredibly difficult time finding something that fits. I have some very odd dimensions and cannot purchase off the rack (58" chest, 34" waist, regular). Can anybody (particularly larger guys) comment on how the custom suits from Spier and Mackay fit? I would also appreciate comments on how quickly the piece was made, and a rough ball park for pricing.

I don't really have a budget, but the cheaper, the better. My size is constantly fluctuating (I am an amateur bodybuilder, so my weight goes anywhere from 250 to 290lbs depending on what time of year it is), so I don't want to spend alot on something I'm not going to be able to wear a couple months down the road.

Many thanks!

14. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Dude, no suit will fit you if you go up and down 40 pounds.

If you can dial in your weight and hold it steady, Spier and Mackay are the best MTM value around. That should help accommodate your particular needs.

15. variancelog

variancelog Senior member

Are you sure about having a 24" drop? A 10-12" drop (different between chest and waist) would already be considered significant in a sport/suit jacket.