• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blame Moon. We requested them. They didn't send them with the cloth. Then we requested them to be sent separately. But then they sent the Shetland Wool Label. These are Merino Wool. By that time it was too late into production.

Haha that's why. Because I realized they always have those on their stuff from other brands like Jcrew or Club monaco.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of the merino wool cardigans? I've been recently really digging the pics from @Burzan and @colHolm with their additional layering. Are they thin enough that they won't cause any significant fit issues, yet still warm enough to make a noticeable difference?
I'm really happy with the ones I picked up. A little tight on the moon gun check, but otherwise perfect for layering.

TheVirt

Reaction score
I'm really happy with the ones I picked up. A little tight on the moon gun check, but otherwise perfect for layering.

That's a relief. I've been really into the sleeveless cardigans that Drake's has been putting out but can't justify the cost for them at the moment. Trust S&M to deliver a value-driven alternative!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a relief. I've been really into the sleeveless cardigans that Drake's has been putting out but can't justify the cost for them at the moment. Trust S&M to deliver a value-driven alternative!
100% thin enough, yet warm. They feel really cozy, no itchiness. Ochre colour was a huge win by S&M in my opinion.

Only thing i'd change is have them be slightly longer, and for a richer burgundy colour next year. Especially on a shawl collar cardigan, if it happens.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Guys asking for Shawl collar cardigans, do you mind sharing pics of the styles you are looking for? We've already been thinking about this, but community feedback is always appreciated.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Main thing is a robust shawl collar for me and beefy buttons, don't care about texture as much.

MS00633_CREAM
oconnells-12-ply-cashmer-25169z.jpg
brooks-brothers-burgundy-saxxon-shawl-collar-fisherman-cardigan-product-1-12914224-451009605.jpeg

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of the merino wool cardigans? I've been recently really digging the pics from @Burzan and @colHolm with their additional layering. Are they thin enough that they won't cause any significant fit issues, yet still warm enough to make a noticeable difference?

I actually didn't pick any up. By the time I finally stopped procrastinating the green sold out, which was the one I really wanted.

Guys asking for Shawl collar cardigans, do you mind sharing pics of the styles you are looking for? We've already been thinking about this, but community feedback is always appreciated.

The J Crew triple patch pocket cardigan is ideal in my eyes. I never got around to buying on but I would buy a couple if you made something similar, with a simple texture, no crazy cable knit. Only thing I'd change is have them be a bit longer, hitting around mid crotch for a bit of a slouchier look

G0041_BR5669_m

Simple-J.-Crew-Shawl-Collar-Cardigan-862x900.jpg

jcrew-hthr-sepia-lambswool-threepocket-cardigan-product-1-13556668-634336565.jpeg

Last edited:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is mine from Nothern Watters on the other day. I'd like it to be either chunky or thin enough to wear under a blazer.

25577473_10209676084089454_1569631093_o.jpg

shawl-cardigan-blazer-long-sleeve-shirt-original-696.jpg

ninzer33

Reaction score
Only own one in a Burgundy as I prefer v-necks to cardigans. However it's definitely thin enough to not cause fit issues, but I notice a major difference when I wear it vs when I don't in terms of warmth. It's the perfect middle layer imo.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You

FF663176-F394-46FF-8014-B0CFD3ACEB8F.jpeg 67A6A5D7-CFBA-4F9A-A3F0-995A2B26C64E.jpeg 4265DD20-5DB2-49A7-9623-C5F076D6B155.jpeg 55DADE7A-183F-4E18-BCB4-1E57E54B1CDA.jpeg

I found it just about impossible to find a thick shawl collar like the above for less than $300. If you can bring these In for a better bargain, I'll buy multiple in a heartbeat! They just look so good and comfortable!

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one's mine (the photo isn't though), it's an older JCrew version, very comfortable and warm, for what it's worth

8ad297c09fd3b92d0a5d4b52ecb48a43.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads