• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

90shilling

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to communicate with SM about a return/exchange. I've found the email comms very slow in recent days. Is it better to call, and if so, what number? thanks

I've had issues as well. Ordered on 11/26, received order on 12/10 with two items out of stock....and they shipped me the wrong color on the moleskin trousers (dark brown instead of brown) and they had sold out in the meantime of my size in the right color. Emailed about an exchange and it's been no response to multiple emails for 3 days and counting now... I'm trying to be patient but this is getting a little disappointing. I'm all for more sales promotions, but the service side is clearly struggling to keep up...

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had issues as well. Ordered on 11/26, received order on 12/10 with two items out of stock....and they shipped me the wrong color on the moleskin trousers (dark brown instead of brown) and they had sold out in the meantime of my size in the right color. Emailed about an exchange and it's been no response to multiple emails for 3 days and counting now... I'm trying to be patient but this is getting a little disappointing. I'm all for more sales promotions, but the service side is clearly struggling to keep up...
I am going to start calling today. I had several orders this fall handled quickly and flawlessly by them. Its only here at the end with my last order. I am confident things will work out. I think they have succeeded greatly with the sales, now just calibrating their support a little bit.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am going to start calling today. I had several orders this fall handled quickly and flawlessly by them. Its only here at the end with my last order. I am confident things will work out. I think they have succeeded greatly with the sales, now just calibrating their support a little bit.

Guys, as you can see from this thread, calling Rick out directly (@spier etc) usually gets his attention and prompts a resolution. Try. I have been ordering from them for a few years now, not without issues (wrong size/style shipped, item missing from shipment) but they've been all resolved fairly quickly.

induere_to

Reaction score
That looks amazing. How much did you deviate from the standard S&M pattern?

I based the shoulder off of the 36 contemporary. Being 6’1” I find that I usually need to lengthen the sleeves an inch, though I’m not picky with the length of the jackets, I decided to go a little longer on this guy anyways to balance out a sleeve/body length ratio.

One thing to keep in mind is that the S&M factory does not work off templates, so the options are practically infinite. I decided to opt-in for a full canvas construction. I asked for a 4.25 inch peak lapel with a Milanese buttonhole on the jacket, with a two-button surgeon cuff. Neapolitan style shoulder with a princess sleeve (as my wife refers to the mappina, as it’s more commonly used in womenswear).

For the trousers, based off the 30 contemporary, I wanted to throw it old-school with a high-waisted 30” u-rise to cut off my torso at my natural waist. I personally prefer two pleats over one, made the waist band 2 inches wide instead of the standard 1.5. I like the clean look on the extended waistband without buttons so asked for clasps rather than exposed buttons and side tabs... and the obvious 2” cuff.

For those of you who may not know, my name is Timothy and I work at the Toronto Spier & Mackay store. I believe that going custom is each persons individual way of expressing their sartorial opinions. I will always be available to anyone that decides that going made-to-measure is the best route for them and will be around to walk anyone through that process. Otherwise, I have a pretty good track record of nearly flawless tailoring on OTR garments.

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a great suit, very different than what you have in store, and a great example to wear infront of clients to show them the possibilities.
Rick you should consider custom pieces as decor in the stores full time.
Between you and Mike, that’s a couple tall slim salesmen.

The Dirk

Reaction score
I based the shoulder off of the 36 contemporary. Being 6’1” I find that I usually need to lengthen the sleeves an inch, though I’m not picky with the length of the jackets, I decided to go a little longer on this guy anyways to balance out a sleeve/body length ratio.

One thing to keep in mind is that the S&M factory does not work off templates, so the options are practically infinite. I decided to opt-in for a full canvas construction. I asked for a 4.25 inch peak lapel with a Milanese buttonhole on the jacket, with a two-button surgeon cuff. Neapolitan style shoulder with a princess sleeve (as my wife refers to the mappina, as it’s more commonly used in womenswear).

For the trousers, based off the 30 contemporary, I wanted to throw it old-school with a high-waisted 30” u-rise to cut off my torso at my natural waist. I personally prefer two pleats over one, made the waist band 2 inches wide instead of the standard 1.5. I like the clean look on the extended waistband without buttons so asked for clasps rather than exposed buttons and side tabs... and the obvious 2” cuff.

For those of you who may not know, my name is Timothy and I work at the Toronto Spier & Mackay store. I believe that going custom is each persons individual way of expressing their sartorial opinions. I will always be available to anyone that decides that going made-to-measure is the best route for them and will be around to walk anyone through that process. Otherwise, I have a pretty good track record of nearly flawless tailoring on OTR garments.
If I ever make it over to Toronto to get something MTM, I'm going to ask for you specifically, then!

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

PM the order#

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

PM the order#

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about fabric maybe someone can answer.

So, I don't really know too much about fabric other than what looks/feels nice, but what's the difference between the standard fabric SM uses, this VBC, and the Guabello? For instance, these three suits are all the same cut in navy:

VBC Navy:

studio-session-344-1500x1500-1_1_3.jpg

Guabello Navy Herringbone

navy-herringbone-main_2.jpg

001-33-1_1.jpg

Midnight Navy in the standard cloth?

Like, where does the quality and cost differential figure into these different types of fabrics? Why is the VBC a hundred dollars more than the standard which is 50 bucks more than the Guabello?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about fabric maybe someone can answer.

So, I don't really know too much about fabric other than what looks/feels nice, but what's the difference between the standard fabric SM uses, this VBC, and the Guabello? For instance, these three suits are all the same cut in navy:

VBC Navy:

studio-session-344-1500x1500-1_1_3.jpg

Guabello Navy Herringbone

navy-herringbone-main_2.jpg

001-33-1_1.jpg

Midnight Navy in the standard cloth?

Like, where does the quality and cost differential figure into these different types of fabrics? Why is the VBC a hundred dollars more than the standard which is 50 bucks more than the Guabello?

IMO VBC and Guabello are interchangeable. The extra $50 is mostly just VBC brand name. Guabello might even be nicer.

Can't speak for the jump between S&M standard cloth (Dino Filarte?) and Guabello though. Filarte mills are in Asia I think so if the Italian pedigree matters to you then there's that.

Dapper Teacher

Reaction score
Hi All! First post here! Right now I’m trying to decide between getting a new Spier and Mackay suit or a new suitsupply lazio or Washington fit suit. I know SS is more expensive which definitely is an advantage for S&M. I already have one Lazio fit from SS and love it. The big things I’m looking for is low button stance and wider lapels. What does everyone think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics