• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been pronouncing both those brand names incorrectly for years. :facepalm:

Lol, same here. In my mind, it's always been "EE-dos" and "Isaiah" like the biblical book or basketball player.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I know it's a small detail but I strongly dislike the 1/4"-from-edge pick stitching. To my eye, it's too conspicuous, looks cheap, and makes the lapels appear skinnier.

I'm with @colHolm, I like it right along the edge of the lapel. Could future jackets (or at least the "staple" navy sport coat) go back to this?
Not a S&M suit/sport coat owner at the moment, but I love the 1/4' stitching on sport coats. It's similar to the swelled edges/lapped seams seen on ivy/trad and english jackets. It is definitely not a sign of cheapness. It is a more casual element though. Not optimal for suits, unless they are made from casual fabrics e.g. seersucker, cotton, tweeds.

Last edited:

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any word on when shirts with sleeve length options will be available? There's at least a dozen Spier shirts I'd like to buy, but I need 16x34.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any word on when shirts with sleeve length options will be available? There's at least a dozen Spier shirts I'd like to buy, but I need 16x34.
I'm a 16X34 and trust me their 16 will fit perfectly. No alterations needed.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a 16X34 and trust me their 16 will fit perfectly. No alterations needed.

Sorry for being skeptical... but the website says the sleeve length for size 16 shirts is 35.5.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a S&M suit/sport coat owner at the moment, but I love the 1/4' stitching on sport coats. It's similar to the swelled edges/lapped seams seen on ivy/trad and english jackets. It is definitely not a sign of cheapness. It is a more casual element though. Not optimal for suits, unless they are made from casual fabrics e.g. seersucker, cotton, tweeds.

I concur. Lapped seam and swelled edges will be a wonderful addition to the odd jackets. I'll be a customer.
Edge stitching belongs to suits IMO

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I never really thought of being different applications for suits vs odd jackets. I still prefer edge stitched for pure aesthetics, but don't mind the 1/4" lapped seam / swelled edge style on sport coats. On a navy hopsack blazer, I think I would prefer the edge stitching as @SJR3 mentioned.

jankdc

Reaction score
Sorry for being skeptical... but the website says the sleeve length for size 16 shirts is 35.5.

I've gotten a shirt from them with the sleeves shortened. I think it was an extra $8 if I remember correctly.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I never really thought of being different applications for suits vs odd jackets. I still prefer edge stitched for pure aesthetics, but don't mind the 1/4" lapped seam / swelled edge style on sport coats. On a navy hopsack blazer, I think I would prefer the edge stitching as @SJR3 mentioned.

This is what i'd prefer for a navy hopsack, which makes it more versatile and causal for tieless fits

tumblr_ou7qemMnu21u9vwjqo1_1280.jpg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It appears I'm in the minority on the pick stitching issue. I suppose I could learn to like the 1/4" from edge if it makes more sense on a casual jacket.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It appears I'm in the minority on the pick stitching issue. I suppose I could learn to like the 1/4" from edge if it makes more sense on a casual jacket.
You may be the minority here, but not necessarily as a whole considering S&M target market. I think it's more than possible they may not like 1/4" edge stitching the same way they don't like negative belly or high gorge lapels. I have zero market research, but understand that my taste are not always mainstream.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You may be the minority here, but not necessarily as a whole considering S&M target market. I think it's more than possible they may not like 1/4" edge stitching the same way they don't like negative belly or high gorge lapels. I have zero market research, but understand that my taste are not always mainstream.

TBH, the average guy doesn't even notice. Most people are looking something that looks "nice", fits well and within their budget. Slowly, very slowly, more guys are learning though.

CMAc7

Reaction score
Exactly. The average guy likes something without knowing why he likes it. I think one of the fallacies here is overemphasis on minute stylistic differences. "Joe Schmoe" is worried about fitting in with his mall-shopping buddies, not swelled seam edges on a 3.7564329" lapel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads