• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Would there be any issues having a slim fit suit jacket, and trouser swapping for a contemporary fit trouser? I find their contemporary trousers to be more comfortable, but would there be any issues with the proportions?

TimothyF

Reaction score
Years ago, like before the pandemic, I found their polo shirts to be of disappointing quality. Sloppy stitching, buttons falling off, even the lettering on the back peels off! I see they still carry a style like this (https://www.spierandmackay.com/prod...polo---button-down-collar-hw1887-29-c3p1-ss22). Is the quality much better now?
Spier&Mackay_HW1887-29-C3P1-SS22%20(1).jpg

Also interested in the so-called "sweater polo" (https://www.spierandmackay.com/prod...---cotton---long-sleeve-24732494-ls-jnys-ss23). I guess these are from 2023? Any concerns with these in terms of quality, durability, or excess shrinkage? thanks
p21--Burgundy%20&%20Cream%20Stripe%20-%20Cotton%20-%20Long%20Sleeve%20(2).jpg
p59--Deep%20Ocean%20&%20Cream%20Stripe%20-%20Cotton%20-%20Short%20Sleeve-24732494-SJNY-PLO-SS23%20(1).jpg

ClothGolem

Reaction score
I swam with last year's navy swim shorts plenty of times. By now I can definitely say that they're great both in and out of the water.
The only downside was that the white lining turned pink after the first laundry (but it didn't change in the next 20+ washes).

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
How are these "Mesh" trousers striking you?

They sound great for the heat. Don't seem quite as wrinkle resistant as high twist based on the pics. But the big thing for me is I still don't know about this new cut. Multiple images, more prominent on other trousers, show the bottoms flaring out the sides, which is really unflattering. It's really dissuading me from a lot of purchases.
1000006845.jpg

srccode

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the cotton high rise. Roominess up top is an improvement but I don't like how they flare out the sides at the hem. Certainly doesn't look too tapered at the bottom as others feel. The loose fabric flaring out laterally at the ankle is something I see in their product photos, too, not just on me.

Contrast with a pair of other trousers that have similar dimensions, including leg opening, but the pattern just seems to lend to a cleaner gradual taper.

I've encountered this issue on a recent pair of high rise, high twist trousers as well. I contacted S&M about it and they suggested having them tapered, but past pairs of the same cut in the same size haven't required this -- see comparison below.

I'm hoping if I have the crease re-pressed it may help as it does seem to be slightly askew on the new pair.

1718921013955.png
1718921036872.png

CLH03

Reaction score
They sound great for the heat. Don't seem quite as wrinkle resistant as high twist based on the pics. But the big thing for me is I still don't know about this new cut. Multiple images, more prominent on other trousers, show the bottoms flaring out the sides, which is really unflattering. It's really dissuading me from a lot of purchases.
View attachment 2203197
I think it’s because they’re too short. It really does make a difference in whether they fall correctly or not. All the pics I’ve seen with it, the pants look too short….

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
I think it’s because they’re too short. It really does make a difference in whether they fall correctly or not. All the pics I’ve seen with it, the pants look too short….
I sort of agree, but I think when they are longer it just masks the issue as the opening conforms to the shoe. I have other trousers with no break that don't have that bell bottom look. In @srccode post above both trousers seem to be the same length. The crease doesn't seem to want to land at the center of the foot. Mine seem to be creased correctly as well.

srccode

Reaction score
I sort of agree, but I think when they are longer it just masks the issue as the opening conforms to the shoe. I have other trousers with no break that don't have that bell bottom look. In @srccode post above both trousers seem to be the same length. The crease doesn't seem to want to land at the center of the foot. Mine seem to be creased correctly as well.

Yes, the inseam is the same for both, so the length alone doesn’t explain it. The lighter grey pair are slightly wider at the hem, but I don’t know why that would cause it. This is the first time I’ve had S&M hem the trousers rather than a local tailor, but I don’t know how that would explain it either.

stro

Reaction score
Have been wanting a blue, casual summer suit. Looking at the navy seersucker. The colors are always a little off online. Is it too dark a navy? Will it look lifeless and uninteresting that dark? Or are the photos just off and it is actually blue?
i like it a lot, though i wanted it pretty dark. i'd call it squarely a navy. it's not a dark royal that blues away from navy under certain lights.

haven't gotten mine into the tailor and am under no delusion that i can accurately capture color via photograph (though of course unlike a certain beloved company, accurately capturing color via photograph is not a core component of my personal business model, so i'm giving myself all kinds of well-deserved leeway there) but anyway here are two snapshots of the jacket with more or less direct evening light through a window in the northwestern semisphere. the one with the starker contrast is with no window shade, direct hit light. the other is with a translucent shade down to diffuse the direct hit (but with adjacent shades up). i think the translucent shaded one is a more accurate depiction of the color generally but my eye for this stuff via photo sucks so whatever.

20240620_184648.jpg

20240620_184812.jpg

the thing next to the suit is the top right quadrant of this, in case that's remotely helpful to square what some of the adjacent blues are doing by comparison under the same light: https://i0.wp.com/heraldonlinejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/cynthia-***-012041.jpg?ssl=1

EDIT: THE HYPERLINK DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE THAT RANDOM STRING OF URL LETTERS INCLUDED THREE LETTERS IN A ROW THAT ARE SPAM FILTERED BY THE FORUM WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GODFORSAKEN HELLHOLE OF A WEBSITE

ROMAINMTL

Reaction score
I bought a pair and they are extremely high rise making me look ridiculous - they create an effect of very long legs and short torso. I guess they'll work great on someone who actually has a short legs
FYI Sir :

Attachments

• 1557650768-illus12-2.png
    1557650768-illus12-2.png
    709.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 1558619215-eyeyer-t.png
    1558619215-eyeyer-t.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 230
  • lbc2.png
    lbc2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 194

dresden

Reaction score
i like it a lot, though i wanted it pretty dark. i'd call it squarely a navy. it's not a dark royal that blues away from navy under certain lights.

haven't gotten mine into the tailor and am under no delusion that i can accurately capture color via photograph (though of course unlike a certain beloved company, accurately capturing color via photograph is not a core component of my personal business model, so i'm giving myself all kinds of well-deserved leeway there) but anyway here are two snapshots of the jacket with more or less direct evening light through a window in the northwestern semisphere. the one with the starker contrast is with no window shade, direct hit light. the other is with a translucent shade down to diffuse the direct hit (but with adjacent shades up). i think the translucent shaded one is a more accurate depiction of the color generally but my eye for this stuff via photo sucks so whatever.

View attachment 2203337

View attachment 2203339

the thing next to the suit is the top right quadrant of this, in case that's remotely helpful to square what some of the adjacent blues are doing by comparison under the same light: https://i0.wp.com/heraldonlinejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/cynthia-***-012041.jpg?ssl=1

EDIT: THE HYPERLINK DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE THAT RANDOM STRING OF URL LETTERS INCLUDED THREE LETTERS IN A ROW THAT ARE SPAM FILTERED BY THE FORUM WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GODFORSAKEN HELLHOLE OF A WEBSITE
Thanks for taking the time. It’s darker than I wanted but I ordered it anyways. I’m hoping the cut will work for a summer, very casual suit. Hoping the dark color cooperates. I’ve never had anything seersucker. Does it really wear that much cooler? Also, never had an S&M jacket. Hoping it fits and I dont have to send it back and forth. Got contemporary, don’t want a tight summer suit. I’m going cuffed trousers with a break but can’t decide on sleeve buttons. I think I’ll try one button. What are you geating?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a navy dot one. A little thiner and lighter than those I bought from Aklasu and Granqvist but not bad for the price. If you like a light, untipped tie, you may like it. When I saw them (mostly solid and dot ones) in person, all colors are on a dark side.
View attachment 2197377
View attachment 2197379
If only they were wider. Then I would have a decision to make.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time. It’s darker than I wanted but I ordered it anyways. I’m hoping the cut will work for a summer, very casual suit. Hoping the dark color cooperates. I’ve never had anything seersucker. Does it really wear that much cooler? Also, never had an S&M jacket. Hoping it fits and I dont have to send it back and forth. Got contemporary, don’t want a tight summer suit. I’m going cuffed trousers with a break but can’t decide on sleeve buttons. I think I’ll try one button. What are you geating?
If you're looking for cooler wearing summer fabrics, seersucker is mid. Compared to flannel or heavy twill or something else of course it will be cooler.

You really want linen, high twist wool, or a wool/silk/linen (or some combo thereof) blend, preferably in an open weave so it can breathe. The weave is key I think. The jackets/pants that I have that feel the coolest in the New Orleans heat all let a lot of light shine through when you hold them up and look through.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReikiRicardo