• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking for Button Dollar Collar Dress Shirts? We don't run them at the moment, but I know that it's fairly popular in the USA. Obviously BB and Kamakura run a lot of them. Is it a viable item to run? We're thinking of running a small group to test them out.

Don't you run these already? Or did you mean band collar? Looks like I missed out on the dress style cotton pants. Will you be running more of these? I need to replace some of my cotton pants.

Thanks

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Don't you run these already? Or did you mean band collar? Looks like I missed out on the dress style cotton pants. Will you be running more of these? I need to replace some of my cotton pants.

Thanks

We just run the brushed oxfords. I'm talking about button down collar shirts in dress shirt fabrics, like poplin or twills.

Cotton Dress Pants, we only ran the two colours, tan and bright navy.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking for Button Dollar Collar Dress Shirts? We don't run them at the moment, but I know that it's fairly popular in the USA. Obviously BB and Kamakura run a lot of them. Is it a viable item to run? We're thinking of running a small group to test them out.

Hmmm, I really love the button down collars so would be interested in seeing what you may have in mind for fabrics.

We can try this out for next season.

Oh the possibilities that you may have unlocked Rick!

giphy.gif

Thanks

The cotton trousers are still there for $69 each. Separates from the cotton suits.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/5874_tan_cotton___contemporary_fit

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/5873_blue_cotton___contemporary_fit

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just run the brushed oxfords. I'm talking about button down collar shirts in dress shirt fabrics, like poplin or twills.

Ah, then HELL yes!. Sorry haven't really kept up much, this new format (forum) sucks balls. I gotta pay you a visit soon.

Pepetito

Reaction score

Yes.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely interested in button down collar dress shirts as wearing ties at work is discouraged but I do tend to wear jackets. (choking hazard)

Also +1 on the group buy pants.

The Dirk

Reaction score
Okay, here's the Neapolitan suit after some alterations. The shoulders still kind of have divots...even with sizing up, so I guess maybe I'm just weirdly built. Thoughts?
20170628_180236.jpg

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open up the seam at the shoulder, pull in that excess fabric to make the sleeve head drape straight.

The Dirk

Reaction score
Open up the seam at the shoulder, pull in that excess fabric to make the sleeve head drape straight.
Do you mind giving me a little more detail on this, please? Do you mean have the sleeve narrowed, or like have the sleeve shortened but at the head of the sleeve?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you grab the excess fabric where the divot is with your fingers, pinch it and essentially roll it up to the shoulder seam that is how you will get it removed via a tailor. Ask Rick for a better explanation from his tailor. I have done it with success, should look fine afterwards.

Spex

Reaction score

I've generally stuck with broadcloth spread collar shirts as my dress shirts to be worn with ties (or recently even without ties, but with a jacket), and more textured, casual fabrics for my button down collar shirts.

I had the idea of getting some more dressy fabrics in button down collars to be worn open-collared in the summer to work. I think special attention has to be made to the collar construction and/or lining. I might have made a mistake when I ordered a lightly fused button down collar for one of my MTM S&M broadcloth shirts since it doesn't really roll very well, and it seems to also somehow pop over my jacket lapels at the sides of the collar (maybe I need a pick to explain this).

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've generally stuck with broadcloth spread collar shirts as my dress shirts to be worn with ties (or recently even without ties, but with a jacket), and more textured, casual fabrics for my button down collar shirts.

I had the idea of getting some more dressy fabrics in button down collars to be worn open-collared in the summer to work. I think special attention has to be made to the collar construction and/or lining. I might have made a mistake when I ordered a lightly fused button down collar for one of my MTM S&M broadcloth shirts since it doesn't really roll very well, and it seems to also somehow pop over my jacket lapels at the sides of the collar (maybe I need a pick to explain this).

Because broadcloth/poplins are so flimsy to begin with the interlining needs to have some extra body to it. A light lining won't do it justice.

We're getting several samples made up to see which is best. We had good sucess with our madras and linen from this season, both which are very limp fabrics and we corrected tbem to make pretty decent button downs. So we're confident we can nail this now.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you mind giving me a little more detail on this, please? Do you mean have the sleeve narrowed, or like have the sleeve shortened but at the head of the sleeve?

Basically ask your tailor to pull the sleeve head in tighter to the sleeve cap.

goodwillhinton

Reaction score
We had good sucess with our madras and linen from this season, both which are very limp fabrics and we corrected tbem to make pretty decent button downs.

I can confirm this. I bought one of the madras shirts a month ago and it is fantastic. The collar is far better than I expected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads