• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Allow me to pick that mic you just dropped up from the floor. There are few things more enjoyable than polite derision, especially when it is oh so warranted. Bravo :bigstar:
His style works for him, mine works for me.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His style works for him, mine works for me.
I don't believe you featured at all in the comment to which I replied, so carry on my guy, which ironically is a phrasing absolutely worthy of derision my book. It's on my Everest, undoubtedly.
In all seriousness, wear what you like. It's your money....just don't toss the passive aggressive sass out there when you get critiques :cheers:
Edit: I do think Imp's clothing objectively (at least in the semi-classical sense of menswear) suits his frame better than yours do, well, yours, but at the end of the day individual preferences matter. If something fitting you slightly less "properly" brings you greater pleasure, and makes you feel better whilst wearing it, by all means, have at it. As mentioned, it ain't my money you're spending, so why should my input matter a lick?

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
I don't believe you featured at all comment to which I replied, so carry on my guy, which ironically is a phrasing absolutely worthy of derision my book. It's on my Everest, undoubtedly.
In all seriousness, wear what you like. It's your money....just don't toss the passive aggressive sass out there when you get critiques :cheers:
Thanks boss 😒

Jlee80

Reaction score
I don't believe you featured at all in the comment to which I replied, so carry on my guy, which ironically is a phrasing absolutely worthy of derision my book. It's on my Everest, undoubtedly.
Edit: I do think Imp's clothing objectively (at least in the semi-classical sense of menswear) suits his frame better than yours do, well, yours, but at the end of the day individual preferences matter. If something fitting you slightly less "properly" brings you greater pleasure, and makes you feel better whilst wearing it, by all means, have at it. As mentioned, it ain't my money you're spending, so why should my input matter a lick?
This is my point though, just because his is more “classic” why is it the default proper? Because you or the posse here think so?

this has all been very enlightening. Used to be a thread of good gents Before it became a thread of experts. Thanks for the lesson guys. 😒

JTrent82

Reaction score

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my point though, just because his is more “classic” why is it the default proper? Because you or the posse here think so?

this has all been very enlightening. Used to be a thread of good gents Before it became a thread of experts. Thanks for the lesson guys. 😒
I'd love to actually dive deep into a lecture (feel free to trawl DWW's blog, if so inclined) on the history of tailoring, or suggest looking up the actual definitions of some of the words you're using to perhaps provide a "lightbulb" moment, but, honestly, not worth the time. Far more efficient just saying **** off with the passive aggressive nonsense, and kick rocks. You're right. I'm (won't speak for the "posse" lol) wrong. Those adhering to your POV are the only rational ones in the bunch.
Vaya con dios, Señor. Enjoy the smedium sized tailoring :fonz:

Jlee80

Reaction score
I'd love to actually dive deep into a lecture (feel free to trawl DWW's blog, if so inclined) on the history of tailoring, or suggest looking up the actual definitions of some of the words you're using to perhaps provide a "lightbulb" moment, but, honestly, not worth the time. Far more efficient just saying **** off with the passive aggressive nonsense, and kick rocks. You're right. I'm (won't speak for the "posse" lol) wrong. Those adhering to your POV are the only rational ones in the bunch.
So adorable..

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's named for Alfred, Baron of Hiltshire, who first wore this style commanding cavalry during the War of the Roses. Not really, I made that up, but I was wondering the same thing.

For a moment I thought that had been copied/pasted from the Spier website, sounds very much like their copywriting 😂

Jlee80

Reaction score
I time to bury the hatchet… If I came across a bit edgy and what not I apologize. I’ve always valued a lot of your post as well, so I can admit when maybe my delivery wasn’t as proper inappropriate as it could’ve been

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
More Spier. This is the E. Thomas wool/cashmere navy blazer. The fabric wears almost like a sweater, but still has decent drape.
5F18B3FF-C6EB-4962-8471-06384AC285D9.jpeg

6FB39D98-9536-4F3C-AA8D-9528F13CFA3E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads