SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spiermackay, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I think 5 madras fabrics are in the custom section that are for this year. The first patterns before the sale stuff.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/search.php?srchtext=Madras

Rick mentioned the olive and navy cotton/linen (also in the custom section) were for popovers but unsure of other possible colors.

2. The Dirk

The Dirk Member

WOW!! you guys hit these new suits out of the park! I'll be making a purchase tonight, or tomorrow morning...even though my wife is going to kill me haha.

Quick question about the Neapolitan suits, what exactly is a "negative belly" on a lapel, and does it have anything to do with how much of the third button is exposed/the amount the lapel rolls over? I'm a bigger fan of a 3 roll 2 where the third button basically doesn't show at all, like the Washington fit by suitsupply. The answer to this question will probably be the deciding factor for me on whether I go with the Neapolitan or the peak lapel.

3. exfalso

exfalso Member

I am surprised to see madras in blue gingham -- I thought I didn't need any more madras shirts, but I might as well change my mind.

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Will linen shrink if I hit it with a little dryer time?

I washed and pressed the new white linen shirt but it fits quite large compared to others in the same size. I probably should have tried it on prior to washing but I've never had a shirt from you this large in 15.5 contemporary.

White linen measures 23" pit to pit, 19.25" shoulders. The arm hole feels huge at 10.5"

My lavender oxford is 21.5" pit to pit, 17.5" shoulder, and 9.75" arm hole.

Last years light blue linen is 21" pit to pit, 18" shoulder, and 10" arm hole.

5. iviustang50h

iviustang50h Member

Rick's response to this same question from another forum:

"The lapel has a slight concave curve to it. Most lapels are cut straight. This gives the appearance of a stronger shoulder and a narrower waist."

6. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The top button barely shows. At most just the keyhole part of the button may show. If the lapel was cut straight it would show more.

7. spiermackay

If you put the dryer on a low heat setting, you will shrink it a touch. But those measurements seem off too much. Almost like it may be mislabeled. That's closer to a 16.5, not a 15.5. I'll check one we have in stock to compare and get back to you.

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Thanks, yeah it seems quite off. I've of course had some variance smaller or larger compared to posted but this one is a different story. It's unwearable right now.

9. paxonus

paxonus Active Member

I have been looking for exactly this style of sportcoat, but I seem to be between sizes. I am 17 in the shoulders and 36 at the waist. I need a size 38 in the Contemporary for the waist, but I am closer to a 36 at the shoulders. My concern is that a jacket at 17.7 with no padding is not going to fit correctly.

10. spiermackay

Purchase the jacket that fits your shoulders. The waist can be let out 1 3/4".

11. spiermackay