• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a sport coat made in the minis green glen check flannel (HMS-510029-MTO-J) has caught my eye and I'd love to see how it looks made up before pulling the trigger. View attachment 1807552
FYI, they'll offer this Fox Bros tweed this coming FW
large.jpg
TD31-DeepGreenPrinceofWalesCheck-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_1_1000x.jpg

Does S&M usually have more tweeds and heavier sportscoat fabrics available towards the winter? I'm looking for something like the Marling & Evans - Dark Brown Herringbone/S1592/15575/D5-MTO-J.
They do seasonal runs so, in short, yes. They will likely have some tweeds OTR. This was actually one that I was hoping to see FW22 as well..Or some version of a cool/cold brown herringbone tweed, i.e. less red undertone.
I had the same conditions as you when I commissioned my brown herringbone jacket. I can highly recommend this fabric https://www.moons.co.uk/product/dark-brown-mix-2/
IMG_20211014_081412_edit_685988918228136.jpg
IMG_20211014_082930.jpg

hysteria

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their cashmere sweaters? I've never tried it, but their merino has generally been solid. There are some cashmeres on finale sale, so just wanted to collect some feedback before pulling the trigger .

JTrent82

Reaction score
Thanks. No, but Spier can source any fabric from Abraham Moon. And Marling Evans. And Minnis. And a couple of more mills.
Is there an upcharge for unlisted fabrics or is the price of the order commensurate with the fabrics in their catalog?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an upcharge for unlisted fabrics or is the price of the order commensurate with the fabrics in their catalog?
No specific up charge compared to the prices in their custom section. Not to be confused with the selections in their MTO section (under suits, sport costs etc). Those are usually in stock fabrics and thus are priced lower.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with SM peacoat sizing? I wear 38R slim in sportcoats and the provided shoulder measurements for peacoats make me think maybe I should size down? 36 would give me the same shoulder as a 38R sportcoat with extra room in the chest and waist.

edit: I won't be wearing this over tailoring clearly.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does S&M usually have more tweeds and heavier sportscoat fabrics available towards the winter? I'm looking for something like the Marling & Evans - Dark Brown Herringbone/S1592/15575/D5-MTO-J.
I believe I made this up last fall - it is great, just cut a bit shorter than what I would prefer.

Potatoe

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their cashmere sweaters? I've never tried it, but their merino has generally been solid. There are some cashmeres on finale sale, so just wanted to collect some feedback before pulling the trigger .
I have one, It's my favorite sweater.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with SM peacoat sizing? I wear 38R slim in sportcoats and the provided shoulder measurements for peacoats make me think maybe I should size down? 36 would give me the same shoulder as a 38R sportcoat with extra room in the chest and waist.

edit: I won't be wearing this over tailoring clearly.
I ordered a 42 which is my SC and suit size and returned it. Too tight everywhere. However exchanged for a 44 and fit well.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.
It does look like a nice colour from the pics - in fact, it's difficult to even say whether this is green or a grey, which makes it even more interesting. Would you be able to send some photos of it? MIght be helpful to see some non-studio photos to get a better sense of the colour. I'm intrigued.

As usual, barely any sizes left lol. Typical SM...
Here are some pics, sorry I don't have a full shot haven't quite figure out how to do that, but it may give some idea of how it looks. It's has a slightly darker green tinge in person but the tan/grey overtones are definitely there as shown.

Not sure what you mean about the sizes, almost all contemporary are in stock and most of the R sizes in slim as well. Also, this sportcoat has been up for months, I was eyeing it forever and finally pulled the trigger the last time it went on sale.

PXL_20220629_220805722.jpg
PXL_20220629_220852986.jpg
PXL_20220629_220753413.jpg

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gundog_millionaire