• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brennenman

Reaction score
How much of this is because everyone postponed their weddings in 2020 and then had them in 2021 instead? I don't think we can say this is the result of a CM revival. Looking around, it's easy to see that hardly anyone is wearing tailored clothing day-to-day right now
There’s plenty of people who wear suits on my campus, We still sold plenty of wedding suits in 2020, I was one of the people who bought one, I also know personally of 2 mtm suit companies that opened up shop this year, one of them is my buddy Robert from gent style

MrFingers

Reaction score
He said this? If so that would be cool.
Yeah. Just who knows what timeline he may be speaking of.. I know he really wants to open a NYC soon I just don’t know if “soon” to him is within 3 years or less. After all, the company is just now taking off

MrFingers

Reaction score
I really like this jacket, but I am also interested in the Moon Brown Herringbone English Sport Coat. I am unsure which one would get more use
Well I’d say a brown herringbone will be way more versatile than this. But the specific brown hunting coat? Not so sure, it’s a whole different style and aesthetic. You’d need a different type of wardrobe to pull that off I’d think. Perhaps a brown herringbone through MTO or the dark brown hopsack would be better

chiggyv

Reaction score
Woah, that is very exciting.

As a Toronto local, the store is handy for saving on shipping costs and easy returns.

TBH I end up buying online 99% of the time because things sell out so damn fast. The last few times I've been in and requested an item I've been told to just buy it online as they don't know where it is or if my size is in stock.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
As a Toronto local, the store is handy for saving on shipping costs and easy returns.

TBH I end up buying online 99% of the time because things sell out so damn fast. The last few times I've been in and requested an item I've been told to just buy it online as they don't know where it is or if my size is in stock.
This right here is the main reason I’m not getting super excited about having a store in NYC and possibly Houston. They usually only have one (or two) or the RTW sport coats and suits made in the size I wear. And guess what? I know there’s at LEAST four or five of y’all in my size on this forum. And that’s just this forum.

I like that the RTW cuts fit me fairly well. And I can return if it didn’t get cut right or if I don’t like it once it’s in my possession (because the stock photos are not great). They’ll get a lot less of my business if this turns into an MTO-only option for me. That’s the sad truth.

smarley

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulty contacting SM during the past few weeks? I cancelled an order for two pair of pants and since the order had not left their Toronto facility, SM cancelled the UPS shipment.

Unfortunately, they didn't cancel the order, so my money has not been refunded. Several emails and a phone call have gone unanswered. Not to offset all of the love for SM, but I'm not impressed (at all) with the lack of customer service.

Thanks for any insights!

Marley

MrFingers

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulty contacting SM during the past few weeks? I cancelled an order for two pair of pants and since the order had not left their Toronto facility, SM cancelled the UPS shipment.

Unfortunately, they didn't cancel the order, so my money has not been refunded. Several emails and a phone call have gone unanswered. Not to offset all of the love for SM, but I'm not impressed (at all) with the lack of customer service.

Thanks for any insights!

Marley
Instagram is your best bet

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This right here is the main reason I’m not getting super excited about having a store in NYC and possibly Houston. They usually only have one (or two) or the RTW sport coats and suits made in the size I wear. And guess what? I know there’s at LEAST four or five of y’all in my size on this forum. And that’s just this forum.

I like that the RTW cuts fit me fairly well. And I can return if it didn’t get cut right or if I don’t like it once it’s in my possession (because the stock photos are not great). They’ll get a lot less of my business if this turns into an MTO-only option for me. That’s the sad truth.
+1. MTO would be a tough pill for me, given that it would still require alterations (my frame's fault, not SM's) after the fact. That extra $100ish + the upcharge to full canvas would put me close enough to where I'd likely just opt for a fully custom shop instead.
Even if Spier does understandably pivot away from the heavy menswear focus, I do hope it doesn't forego it fully. That would be a bummer.

MrFingers

Reaction score
This comes directly from Rick so everyone can relax a bit. They don’t plan to stop carrying CM stuff, and also no to going full MTO. Sweatpants and other items such as the overshirts are merely an expansion rather than a shift towards a different market.

there, now that we can all breathe normally again.. let’s start looking forward to SS 22 items that will likely start to be showcasing soon given how much stuff just went into the sale section :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads