• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Evacipator

Reaction score
1.25" seems on the small side..but I guess...proportions, height play a factor?
Yeah, and maybe fabric, come to think of it. Personally, I think larger cuffs look better with heavier fabrics (and that cuffs in general look better with heavier fabrics), however counter to that I also find lighter fabrics can be what requires a cuff to get a satisfying drape. Therefore, while I think cuffs look better on heavier fabrics, I still usually opt to skip them when I can, and so when I do add them it's generally on something lighter and so I tend to go smaller. I'm not opposed to 1.5 either though, and I'm sure 99% of people who see me would never notice if I was donning cuffs or not, so we're talking much of a muchness.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I do cuffs, but limit to 1.75". 2"+ were all the rage a while back, but I think it looks bad on anyone under 6'1" at least. And I do no break or the very slightest of breaks.

I wear my pants the same way, with little to no break. I do 1.75" on all my trousers but recently did a 2" just to see if I might like that ever better. I would not do above 2" though.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright gents I got my first suit from spier and if the fit is on I'm getting a few more. I went 38s contemporary navy hopsack and slim 32 pants. The pants are perfect just need them hemmed. Fit snug but with movement and taper a little from knee down. The jacket I think I like. It might need the sleeves lengthened just a tad, it could be a smidge snugger around the midsection but I'm afraid a slim would be too tight around the chest. The back has little to no bubbling. Lapels seem to lie flat. I have good movement in it. I feel like the arm holes are a smidge low such as when I raise my arm but maybe that's just the style. I'm fairly new to suiting and know I need to take it to the tailor but what do you guys think?

I apologize for the bad pics. I couldn't find a mirror with decent lighting so had to use the workout room in the basement.

This one is virtually unstructured. If the next two have full lining and lightly padded shoulders anything I need to seriously consider in how the fit might be different?
It's a great fit! Just need to alter the jacket sleeves longer.
You definitely do not need a short size, as that jacket is clearly too short. Have you pulled up your trousers properly? You want the jacket to cover your seat at a minimum, and visually split you into two fairly equal halves. A 38R would also lower the buttoning point closer to your natural waist, making you look slimmer and longer in the process. The sleeves would be much closer to where they should be as well. It looks like a solid fit beyond that, though. Chest, shoulders and waist looks great. It's tough to give a more detailed analysis without pictures from the back. The back can often be the trickiest part to get right on a RTW jacket/suit, but from what little I can see from the side profile it looks pretty good. The lighting makes it hard to judge how the sleeves drape. It looks like there might be some issues with the sleeve pitch, but I can't quite tell from these pics.

The new Neapolitan cut jackets/suits from this FW21 season has a slightly higher armhole on the contemporary model. Looks like those might be ideal for you.

As for the regular cut suits (with padded shoulders etc.), I've only tried them once. Didn't like the fit at all, even though the Neo cut fits me very well. I don't remember in detail what made it different, but the cuts aren't necessarily interchangeable for everyone. Someone else can probably give a more detailed answer about this.
The jacket looks too short in the body and sleeves for you.

I see further posts about pulling up your trousers, but that is not the issue, judging by where the jacket hits your hand, and other indicators, it is too short.

Here is a good article and video about jacket length

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jeans arrived earlier this week and after throwing them in the wash, I've already lost one of the rivets. Anyone else have this problem?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks too short in the body and sleeves for you.

I see further posts about pulling up your trousers, but that is not the issue, judging by where the jacket hits your hand, and other indicators, it is too short.

Here is a good article and video about jacket length

It may look like it's too short but seeing from the side I think he just needs to hem his shirt sleeves. The jacket length is good as is. All about proportion really. Can't say that a jacket needs to cover the butt if the legs are too short.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may look like it's too short but seeing from the side I think he just needs to hem his shirt sleeves. The jacket length is good as is. All about proportion really. Can't say that a jacket needs to cover the butt if the legs are too short.
Reasonable people may differ, but I think "cover the butt" trumps "bisect the body perfectly".

JFK-esque

Reaction score
I bought the jeans the day they hit the site. Chose hemming but only the next day did the "add original hem" get added to the listing. Needless to say the 2 year wash with a regular hem looks pretty bad

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jeans arrived earlier this week and after throwing them in the wash, I've already lost one of the rivets. Anyone else have this problem?
May I ask why you washed your denim already? Is it just to get initial shrink out? I barely wash denim, but hope when I eventually do wash these they won't fall apart

tmckay2

Reaction score
I partially fault bad photo taking and lighting. I'll try to get a new photo tonight with khaki pants so you can see the break of the jacket a bit better. I'll also wear a normal fitting shirt. The one in the pic is one size larger in the sleeve length but it's all I had clean at the moment and was more focused on the chest, shoulder, waist and back as that is typically where I have issues fitting wise.

Regulars on me are generally about an inch too long. I could go for half an inch longer in the body on the short probably but just didnt think it was a big deal. And taking an inch off on a regular makes me a little wary. The sleeves do need to be let out a little though, I have longer arms and legs than I "should" for my torso.

I do appreciate the feedback and people keeping it respectful. I'm pretty new to more professional style and trying to learn as I go.

I have spier holding the other orders until I can decide one way or the other. I went I to suit supply before ordering as their havana is very close to the contemporary and in regular it seemed clearly too long to me. But it could just be my perception.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask why you washed your denim already? Is it just to get initial shrink out? I barely wash denim, but hope when I eventually do wash these they won't fall apart
I know the logic of not frequently washing denim...a) I'm a bit of a germ-o-phob and b) the size 36 was a bit big on me so wanted to see if I get them to shrink. FWIW...the later was pretty unsuccessful.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the logic of not frequently washing denim...a) I'm a bit of a germ-o-phob and b) the size 36 was a bit big on me so wanted to see if I get them to shrink. FWIW...the later was pretty unsuccessful.
Understandable. Damn, was hoping mine would shrink a bit in the waist too. My Rinse is a bit big in my waist currently, but the one year was fits pretty good. Maybe the wash shrunk it just enough at factory? Unsure, either way I'll need a belt I'd say, can't return due to hemming. I figured the 29 would have been too small by the size charts. Just shows how size charts can't be trusted lol

schraiber

Reaction score
Alright gents I got my first suit from spier and if the fit is on I'm getting a few more. I went 38s contemporary navy hopsack and slim 32 pants. The pants are perfect just need them hemmed. Fit snug but with movement and taper a little from knee down. The jacket I think I like. It might need the sleeves lengthened just a tad, it could be a smidge snugger around the midsection but I'm afraid a slim would be too tight around the chest. The back has little to no bubbling. Lapels seem to lie flat. I have good movement in it. I feel like the arm holes are a smidge low such as when I raise my arm but maybe that's just the style. I'm fairly new to suiting and know I need to take it to the tailor but what do you guys think?

I apologize for the bad pics. I couldn't find a mirror with decent lighting so had to use the workout room in the basement.

This one is virtually unstructured. If the next two have full lining and lightly padded shoulders anything I need to seriously consider in how the fit might be different?
You should almost certainly get an R instead of an S. The sleeves and jacket length are both too short.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Here it is with different shirt and pants. I can see it being about half an inch short on the length and quarter inch of sleeve needing let out, but the regular is 1.5" longer and when I've tried ones on in stores with the same body length they seemed way too long. I dunno.

Attachments

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.