• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
It's cool enough in LA to at least begin experimenting with wearing flannel. I'm not one for breaking up suits and doing the whole suit separates thing, but I bought the BG flannel suit over the summer. I was thinking I'd potentially break it up and use the suit coat as a winter navy sportcoat, as I'd been looking for a navy blue flannel/cashmere, kind of plush winter sportcoat, akin to how one would wear a navy hopsack sportcoat in spring/summer. I've paired it here with the VBC medium gray high-rise trews from last year, and SM medium blue stripe OCBD. Trying to see if it works as a standalone winter navy sportcoat. Thoughts?
View attachment 1689085
View attachment 1689084
View attachment 1689082
View attachment 1689081

The Neo cut really suits you perfectly. I don't see any issues with breaking up that BG flannel suit. A navy flannel jacket with patch pockets is pretty much the established winter equivalent to the navy hopsack anyway, isn't it?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Neo cut really suits you perfectly. I don't see any issues with breaking up that BG flannel suit. A navy flannel jacket with patch pockets is pretty much the established winter equivalent to the navy hopsack anyway, isn't it?

@Imperatores @FlyingHorker Thanks, gents. Your insights are quite helpful. Glad to know it reads as such. Do you think the texture of the navy flannel holds its own against the medium gray flannel? Does the texture of the navy come through at all? Curious about this since I'm essentially mixing and matching flannels from two different makers.

Imperatores

Reaction score
@Imperatores @FlyingHorker Thanks, gents. Your insights are quite helpful. Glad to know it reads as such. Do you think the texture of the navy flannel holds its own against the medium gray flannel? Does the texture of the navy come through at all? Curious about this since I'm essentially mixing and matching flannels from two different makers.

A navy flannel is always going to have a bit less visual texture than a gray flannel, but I don't think that matters much here. A navy jacket doesn't necessarily need a ton of texture to begin with. If anything, it's probably better to mix flannels from different makers than wearing the same exact flannel in different colors.

Brennenman

Reaction score
It's cool enough in LA to at least begin experimenting with wearing flannel. I'm not one for breaking up suits and doing the whole suit separates thing, but I bought the BG flannel suit over the summer. I was thinking I'd potentially break it up and use the suit coat as a winter navy sportcoat, as I'd been looking for a navy blue flannel/cashmere, kind of plush winter sportcoat, akin to how one would wear a navy hopsack sportcoat in spring/summer. I've paired it here with the VBC medium gray high-rise trews from last year, and SM medium blue stripe OCBD. Trying to see if it works as a standalone winter navy sportcoat. Thoughts?
View attachment 1689085
View attachment 1689084
View attachment 1689082
View attachment 1689081
i think it works quite well for you and if i were you i would certainly add this to your rotation off outfits. ive tried breaking up my flannel and i can use the pants just fine the jacket is a struggle for me due to the close quarters of mine, but with your neo cut and patch pockets, the jacket look fantastic broken up as well as with the matching trews
I

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear of the new Deep V sweater.
For reference, this is a size M, I wear a 40R contemporary SC and 15.5 contemp shirt.

5B46B957-D98E-4B14-861F-D4D7E4A614ED.jpeg
DE2134A4-ECB7-4FC3-A19E-E353DB045B36.jpeg
384E3397-B676-4F5B-9458-E8BD7545BEC5.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem man.

I'd say no in terms of the texture of the navy flannel. I didn't notice it was navy flannel until I reread the post.

I think this is by design though, I've never actually seen a navy flannel blazer be highly textured before. It still looks great to me.

S&M does carry a navy donegal SC every so often that might be more textured if that's what you want.

spier-mackay-600-301-navy-donegal-sportcoat_fw20_1-494x800.jpg

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1689085
View attachment 1689084
View attachment 1689082
View attachment 1689081
When buttoned it doesn’t look as Good as it theoretically should. Shoulder dimple on right side, sleeves slightly long and bottom just kind of flares out way too much. And Jacket button is too low visually. Just an opinion.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Looking at current/coming offerings I’ve realized the thing I want to see more of is odd trousers. Glen, POW, checks, houndstooth, etc. Anyone else with me on this? I know MTO is an option but it’d still be nice to see more non-solid offerings.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Looking at current/coming offerings I’ve realized the thing I want to see more of is odd trousers. Glen, POW, checks, houndstooth, etc. Anyone else with me on this? I know MTO is an option but it’d still be nice to see more non-solid offerings.
If specifically speaking to OTR, I don't think patterned trousers sell as well as more staple solids. I would much prefer solids in various fabrics, textures, shades. Just more versatile.

Last edited:

Imperatores

Reaction score

Patterned trousers sounds good in theory, but very rarely works out in practice. Anything beyond small scale houndstooth or herringbone patterns tend to look a bit strange as odd trousers. That's why S&M doesn't offer a lot of them, and you very rarely see them in fit pics in the #menswear world. I'd much rather have a broader selection of solids in various shades, weights and textures. Or even the same fabrics in different styles (high-rise, regular rise, regular rise with side adjusters etc.).

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm conflicted. Are the long sleeve polos (button down collar) supposed to be worn untucked or tucked in?

Imperatores

Reaction score
tucked into your underwear

This is the way. If your balls can't also enjoy the soft embrace of the merino wool, what's even the point?

On a more serious note, I've struggled with the same issue. The default answer is to wear them untucked, but they're a bit too long for that on me. In a lot of cases I prefer the cleaner look of tucking it in, even though tucking in a sweater feels a little dorky. I'll only tuck it in when wearing it with tailoring, though. Same thing with the turtlenecks (not the cable knit ones). I'm hoping for a day where they offer all their sweater styles in a shorter length like the new deep v-necks.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the way. If your balls can't also enjoy the soft embrace of the merino wool, what's even the point?
Smartwool merino underwear is amazing for not being stinky.

I wore a pair all week to the gym once and it had no smell compared to a pair of cotton boxers that I wore for only a day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads