• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure. Here is another excuse to post my oversized coat on SF I had made from my tailor. This fabric is up on MTO.

I asked Rick last year if these really nice M&E fabrics would be available for MTO, and the mad lad actually went through with it. Thank you to him for being so consistently receptive for the community.

S1005-15588-C3 "Marling & Evans - Cream & Brown Glen Check"

20210305-150242-HDR.jpg
‘Das flossy.

Viatu

Reaction score
I've been pricing overcoats today even though I live in the deep south and we may get 1-5 days per year cold enough for an overcoat.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
‘Das flossy.
Definitely man. I thought about going for a more subtle look and said screw it. Pandemic straightened out those priorities.
You know what, I actually quite like that. This is one of only a handful of times I've thought somebody genuinely pulled off a Balmacaan. Looks much better than the Ulster coats so far. I still wouldn't wear this myself, but you're owning it here.

Also, no #menswear look is complete without the pink phone case :D
Thanks Imperatore, this made me smile and gave me the warm fuzzies. I laughed at the pink phone case comment.

Imperatores

Reaction score
The description for polo coats do say to size up if you’re planning to wear a suit or sportscoat underneath.

Not quite, it says to consider sizing up if you're planning on wearing it over a jacket. I comfortably take the same size coat, and several others here do as well. I wear slim jackets, though. If you wear contemporary you probably need to size up.

Thanks Imperatore, this made me smile and gave me the warm fuzzies. I laughed at the pink phone case comment.

Hey now, let's not go all mushy here. We still disagree about coat lengths on the internet. This is serious business.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure. Here is another excuse to post my oversized coat on SF I had made from my tailor. This fabric is up on MTO.

I asked Rick last year if these really nice M&E fabrics would be available for MTO, and the mad lad actually went through with it. Thank you to him for being so consistently receptive for the community.

S1005-15588-C3 "Marling & Evans - Cream & Brown Glen Check"

20210305-150242-HDR.jpg

Blimey. That looks nice.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite, it says to consider sizing up if you're planning on wearing it over a jacket. I comfortably take the same size coat, and several others here do as well. I wear slim jackets, though. If you wear contemporary you probably need to size up.

Hey now, let's not go all mushy here. We still disagree about coat lengths on the internet. This is serious business.
That’s good to know. I do wear contemporary so it makes sense. I’ve found that the type of fabric your sport coat underneath can make a difference as well. My 40R corduroy jacket sleeves have a difficult time getting through the sleeves of a 42r balmaccan, whereas other 40R jackets it’s been just fine.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Has anyone (successfully) raised the armhole on an OTR jacket? Picked up a 42R contemp jacket as the slim was sold out. Contemplating keeping if the alteration is relatively simple, cost effective.

milktoast

Reaction score
I have the brown herringbone. It is a coarse fabric and unlined. Very different animal than the waxed jacket. I have a few waxed jackets but still wondering if I should have bought one instead of the brown herringbone. We will see once it cools down a bit.
Hmm between the coarse fabric and the lack of lining, you may have convinced me out of it. I may just have to wait it out for the wax jacket to come in so that it's easier to compare. Thanks for the quick response, mate.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, What's The Verdict On The Wool Field Jackets?
(IRL) Photos?
Size Up?

1634687576910.png

???

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So. Ulster. This thing is gorgeous.

reminder that I’m 5’11”, 160lbs, 38 chest/32 waist, wear a 38R Contemporary Neo and a 38L contemporary non-Neo. Pants are Spier Fresco, jacket underneath is Spier Neo hopsack, Allen Edmonds Grayson loafer, and Brooks shirt.

38R:
EE7A414A-7703-4AAC-BF04-30AE81FDE96E.jpeg
DFE9FB8D-F841-432F-A790-699F811F9644.jpeg

40R:
9CDBA5A9-EC3D-457D-9D08-CDA61503DED2.jpeg
FACC369E-89E6-4995-A736-8A4A79F3DDA6.jpeg

don’t size up- I have plenty of room in the 38 for a jacket, it’s actually around the size of my 40R Zanieri polo coat from a couple seasons ago. The 40 in this had slightly more space in the chest but the sleeves are definitely too long. A heavy Harris Tweed jacket underneath might be close to being snug, but there’s more than enough space for a sweater underneath a normal-weight jacket (and this will be for use specifically with suits/sportcoats, so it’ll be a non issue). This is everything I had wanted the old DB camel coat to be and might be my favorite item I’ve purchased from S&M.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

reminder that I’m 5’11”, 160lbs, 38 chest/32 waist, wear a 38R Contemporary Neo and a 38L contemporary non-Neo. Pants are Spier Fresco, jacket underneath is Spier Neo hopsack, Allen Edmonds Grayson loafer, and Brooks shirt.

38R:
View attachment 1688702 View attachment 1688703

40R:
View attachment 1688704 View attachment 1688705

don’t size up- I have plenty of room in the 38 for a jacket, it’s actually around the size of my 40R Zanieri polo coat from a couple seasons ago. The 40 in this had slightly more space in the chest but the sleeves are definitely too long. This is everything I had wanted the old DB camel coat to be and might be my favorite item I’ve purchased from S&M.
Looks excellent from the front. I know it needs a press, but that back belt seems off to me. Maybe it’s too high. It hangs down as opposed to going straight across.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

38R:

40R:

don’t size up- I have plenty of room in the 38 for a jacket, it’s actually around the size of my 40R Zanieri polo coat from a couple seasons ago. The 40 in this had slightly more space in the chest but the sleeves are definitely too long. This is everything I had wanted the old DB camel coat to be and might be my favorite item I’ve purchased from S&M.
38R looks really good on you.

I wonder if sleeve alterations are easy on this turnback cuff style, or if they're even possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads