• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Nick Lopez in the Galleria area, I do all my stuff there (primarily hemming and a 1.75" cuff- IIRC its about $20 per pair). They do bespoke and are constantly complimenting the quality of the S&M stuff I bring in.

Coincidentally, I just picked up 6 pairs of pants last week and will be picking up 3 more pairs this week- seems like everyone bought a bunch of stuff during COVID that just sat in the closet lol
Thank you! I was browsing the threads and saw you also recommended another tailor “memorial tailors” a couple years ago. Any reason you moved away from them?

also, is the $20ish per pair pretty standard for hem and cuff? I’ve only ever hemmed at Burlington for like $10 bucks back in highschool lol

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be going back to the office in the next few weeks.

Yeah, most people I know seem to be going back 6/1. My office has been two days a week since March, but 6/1 we're back in full time. I've been noticing downtown has been busier over the past few weeks.

Thank you! I was browsing the threads and saw you also recommended another tailor “memorial tailors” a couple years ago. Any reason you moved away from them?

also, is the $20ish per pair pretty standard for hem and cuff? I’ve only ever hemmed at Burlington for like $10 bucks back in highschool lol

Story time lol:
Unfortunately I can't recommend them anymore after my last experience there. There was a guy who worked there (Charlie) that was AWESOME- he knew exactly how I liked stuff to fit and he could start pinning items without any instruction. We got to the point where I could walk in, put on a pair of pants, he'd come out and pin them while on the phone and never saying a word to me, and I could pick them up without trying them on and know that it would be perfect. He did pretty complex stuff too (like shortening a jacket sleeve with a functional cuff from the shoulder, which had gussets- $90 alteration and flawlessly executed). A couple years back he moved to a different location in the Cypress area and the Bunker Hill location hasn't been the same since- the primary issue was pants that ended up way too short or with different leg lengths (which is my most common alteration). I also noticed in comparing pairs that were done before and after the change that stitching quality had taken a nosedive. After 4 attempts on a pair of S&M suit pants (and, around that time, they sent some of my wife's clothes home with a different customer), I took them to Nick Lopez and never looked back.

$20 is pretty standard I think, IIRC I think I paid $15-$17 at Memorial back in the day. The only places that I really see cheaper are dry cleaners- nothing against them, but if I'm paying $150 for a pair of pants, I'd like a tailor to be the one to do the work on them.

Edit: I should add the caveat that I’m super OCD when it comes to fit/silhouette, and since I like no break on my pants, it’s a very small margin of error between ”perfect” and “way too short”. Some people might have been fine with the alterations I received, but one of the attempts ended up a full inch above my shoe. Thankfully there was a cuff so it could be corrected, but I have several suits with a plain hem because there wasn’t enough fabric for a cuff after they were cut too short.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
Yeah, most people I know seem to be going back 6/1. My office has been two days a week since March, but 6/1 we're back in full time. I've been noticing downtown has been busier over the past few weeks.

Story time lol:
Unfortunately I can't recommend them anymore after my last experience there. There was a guy who worked there (Charlie) that was AWESOME- he knew exactly how I liked stuff to fit and he could start pinning items without any instruction. We got to the point where I could walk in, put on a pair of pants, he'd come out and pin them while on the phone and never saying a word to me, and I could pick them up without trying them on and know that it would be perfect. He did pretty complex stuff too (like shortening a jacket sleeve with a functional cuff from the shoulder, which had gussets- $90 alteration and flawlessly executed). A couple years back he moved to a different location in the Cypress area and the Bunker Hill location hasn't been the same since- the primary issue was pants that ended up way too short or with different leg lengths (which is my most common alteration). I also noticed in comparing pairs that were done before and after the change that stitching quality had taken a nosedive. After 4 attempts on a pair of S&M suit pants (and, around that time, they sent some of my wife's clothes home with a different customer), I took them to Nick Lopez and never looked back.

$20 is pretty standard I think, IIRC I think I paid $15-$17 at Memorial back in the day. The only places that I really see cheaper are dry cleaners- nothing against them, but if I'm paying $150 for a pair of pants, I'd like a tailor to be the one to do the work on them.

Edit: I should add the caveat that I’m super OCD when it comes to fit/silhouette, and since I like no break on my pants, it’s a very small margin of error between ”perfect” and “way too short”. Some people might have been fine with the alterations I received, but one of the attempts ended up a full inch above my shoe. Thankfully there was a cuff so it could be corrected, but I have several suits with a plain hem because there wasn’t enough fabric for a cuff after they were cut too short.
I’ve never understood how some people can pay $100’s of dollars for a suit or an expensive pair of trousers and be content to take them to a dry cleaners or the cheapest spot for alterations. You paid a shitload of $ for a nice suit, get it exactly how you want it! If that means being extremely picky about how you want your pants or anything else, then be picky! You should want to look damn near perfect in it!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick Lopez in the Galleria area, I do all my stuff there (primarily hemming and a 1.75" cuff- IIRC its about $20 per pair). They do bespoke and are constantly complimenting the quality of the S&M stuff I bring in.

Coincidentally, I just picked up 6 pairs of pants last week and will be picking up 3 more pairs this week- seems like everyone bought a bunch of stuff during COVID that just sat in the closet lol

This Is True, I've Had (21) Pairs Last Month @ $15 A Pair Straight/Cuff!

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay just dropped this on IG.
Screenshot_20210508_191315_com.instagram.android_edit_517412917424173.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_191319_com.instagram.android_edit_517429246225733.jpg

It looks beautiful, but u do wonder if it would be redundant if you already have last seasons' E. Thomas brown glen plaid and E. Thomas rust check jackets.
79912-1-t.jpg

20180724-DSCF6928-683x1024.jpg

dangaa

Reaction score
@spiermackay just dropped this on IG.
View attachment 1606728
View attachment 1606729

It looks beautiful, but u do wonder if it would be redundant if you already have last seasons' E. Thomas brown glen plaid and E. Thomas rust check jackets.
View attachment 1606730
View attachment 1606732
I get asked all the time why do all my jackets look the same. The key difference is that they don't look all the same to me. Details matter.

Go for it if you have a spot for it in your rotation.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get asked all the time why do all my jackets look the same. The key difference is that they don't look all the same to me. Details matter.

Go for it if you have a spot for it in your rotation.
Like everything else, I'll make a spot. Just don't want it to be too redundant. My concern is if the colour is to close to the rust check jacket.

@spiermackay just answered a question on IG saying it's a warm brown with a red undertone. So it could be something totally different from the rust check, as that is more of a brick colour. But it could also be very close in colour depending on your definition of red and brick.

Decisions, decision... (knowing myself, I'll probably get it though).

EDIT
Just noticed that this has been available for a while already. But it looks so pink on the website I haven't even bothered to look at it.

Last edited:

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everything else, I'll make a spot. Just don't want it to be too redundant. My concern is if the colour is to close to the rust check jacket.

@spiermackay just answered a question on IG saying it's a warm brown with a red undertone. So it could be something totally different from the rust check, as that is more of a brick colour. But it could also be very close in colour depending on your definition of red and brick.

Decisions, decision... (knowing myself, I'll probably get it though).

EDIT
Just noticed that this has been available for a while already. But it looks so pink on the website I haven't even bothered to look at it.

you could just sell me your rust check mate ?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could just sell me your rust check mate ?
I actually got mine second hand after looking for it for a year. I was surprised when I got my hands on one that was still unused. Promise though, that if I get rid of it, you're first in line ?

MrFingers

Reaction score

Story time lol:

Just got home from dropping them off. They quoted me $26/pair but I said on the phone they said $22 so they did 22 lol. Pretty cool place, gave me harry potter vibes. The guy seemed to know they were SM before I even tried them on too hahaha then I dropped some other jcrew ones I found on recent sales for 10-16 a pair. Those were $16 each at a different tailor so I'll be able to make a fair comparison. Thanks for the heads-up on price!

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually got mine second hand after looking for it for a year. I was surprised when I got my hands on one that was still unused. Promise though, that if I get rid of it, you're first in line ?

appreciated! I actually have the Suitsupply version but of course, I prefer Spier’s Neapolitan cut ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads