• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should we do Side Tabs or Belt Loops on High-Rise Moleskin Trousers?

• Side Tabs

Votes: 132 69.8%
  • Belt Loops

Votes: 57 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those aren't high rise, they're just regular dress trousers with side tabs. They've been miscategorized on the site and appear in the high rise section, but if you look at the product code it say "F1H1-ST" which means flat front regular rise with side tabs.

AFAIK there aren't any flat front high rise trousers in OTR right now. You either get flat front regular rise (F1H1-SideTabs or Loops), or pleated high rise with side tabs (F2H1-HighRise).
Eagle eye. You're right. The rust are not high rise. Not in the right category.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Boarded the Safari hype train. Received it and immediately thought... when and where the heck would I wear this thing when it’s >90 out. Likely nowhere so it’s going back. This was the last 40 if anyone is looking for it. What I do like is the length and waist position compared to the F/W field jacket. I really hope they do this cut in a F/W version
Will be carrying this into FW

ptfly

Reaction score
Eagle eye. You're right. The rust are not high rise. Not in the right category.
Just got my rust not really high rise today. Need to try them on. I do have several other side tab not high rise so I'm not mad. Might pick up the matching jacket that is not NEO. Actually I like the fact that it isn't a true NEO. NEOs get all the cool fabrics so us regular cut guys grab what we can.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay
The Quest Cotton hi rise, Khaki, has a yellow undertone in the photo. Does the photo accurately represent the color iRL? Hope so, I kind of like the color as photographed.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We did one. The Denim Guabello in fall. That was a 3r2, but regular sportcoat, tbh, is almost the same for all intents and purposes.
I’d add the caveat that the Neo is a better fit for me because of the tiny bit of extra length. The 38R in Neo and 38L in standard are perfect fits for me (though I admittedly buy more Neo than anything else)

Sockett&Bones

Reaction score
@spiermackay

Can we add a 3r2 option for regular sport coats in the MTO/Custom section? I am small framed and the 4" lapels are huge on me so I avoid the Neo cuts.

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
The entry level Filarte suits have Urea. Everything else is Horn in the suits/sportcoats. We are also looking to add MOP and Corozo into the mix soon.
MOP buttons would be great!
In the last several years, I have actually enjoyed buying my own sets of MOP buttons (a mix of smoked and original) at 4mm in thickness and just spending around an hour or so on certain lazy Sundays replacing a polo shirt's buttons, dress / oxford shirt's buttons, etc. Actually really fun and cheap way to upgrade certain items in the wardrobe.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the last several years, I have actually enjoyed buying my own sets of MOP buttons (a mix of smoked and original) at 4mm in thickness and just spending around an hour or so on certain lazy Sundays replacing a polo shirt's buttons, dress / oxford shirt's buttons, etc. Actually really fun and cheap way to upgrade certain items in the wardrobe.
have you purchased them for a sportcoat? Who do you go through? I have a navy linen jacket that I’ve been thinking about swapping the buttons for white MoP

joman8390

Reaction score
do you use a sewing machine or just do it by hand with a needle and thread?

carterjones

Reaction score
Yes to all.
Is that a yes to closer in length to the topcoat or the balmacaan? Seems the balmacaan comes in about half a foot longer in length, hoping that it will be longer since a lot of trench coats these days follow the trend of being above the knee (which tends to cover the torso from rain rather well, but then the water just streams onto your knees and upper thighs).

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
have you purchased them for a sportcoat? Who do you go through? I have a navy linen jacket that I’ve been thinking about swapping the buttons for white MoP
I have not purchased MOP buttons for a sportcoat, but that's a good idea. I don't think they will be as thick as shirt buttons though I haven't seen 4mm thick sportcoat buttons before. I've only ever bought buffalo horn to replace the cheap plastic buttons on stuff I get from Banana / J.Crew etc.

I go through ETSY from a seller called "The Thackery" and also Yiu Wah Button. The link is here: Smoke Mother of Pearl (MOP) Suit Buttons (ywbutton.com)

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
All done by hand with needle and thread. I bought a cheap sewing kit off of Amazon and learned from googling. After I got pretty good with sewing a button on a shirt the traditional way I thought it would be pretty cool if I learned how to do crow's feet stitching which took a little bit longer. But it's worth it and I like the way it looks. Especially so if you use a different colored thread from that of the garment you work on because that makes it stand out much more. White thread on white MOP no one will notice lol.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a home sewing machine would work well for sewing a button on a sportcoat or suit jacket where you don’t want the thread to go all the way through.
Here is a guide from @jefferyd that has worked well for me. Takes me about 10 minutes per button but I’m slow.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.