• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS, Has A Mind Of Its Own...

20210412_215309.jpg

20210412_215645.jpg

20210412_215300.jpg

NikG

Reaction score
Well just received my caramel corduroy and light brown frescos including hemming. Have to say I’m quite disappointed with the hemming service, a very subpar result. I guess you get what you pay for though.

The light brown Guabello’s are what my tailor here in Australia does for reference and comparison. Needless to say he was also not impressed with them and fortunately for me the S&M “tailors” didn’t cut any of the original length and he’ll be able to fix them.

Trousers themselves are fantastic and no complaints. Quality is top notch as expected from S&M at an unbeatable price. The frescoes are even lighter than expected, but seem to hold a crease reasonably well. The corduroy is a nice weight and should be a good autumn/winter trouser here in Aus.
Thought I’d just update on this for those considering using the S&M hemming service. I’ve just received back my trousers after being taken to my tailor to be hemmed properly after the butcher job S&M tailors did and they’re absolutely perfect now. Although my tailor is twice the cost of S&M hemming service, I can safely say it’s worth the money after these results compared to what I originally got so if you’re unsure and have a good tailor I’d suggest sticking to them. Although more expensive I’m guaranteed a quality tailor job and am supporting a local business as well.

Fabric, cut and fit is outstanding.This makes my fourth and fifth pairs of S&M trousers and can definitely see myself buying a hell of a lot more. Really nothing else compares for the price and nice details you get (high rise, reverse pleat, extended waistband, side adjusters).

Attachments

• 4AFD48F9-D140-467D-B268-1672DDEFB782.jpeg
    4AFD48F9-D140-467D-B268-1672DDEFB782.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 61196EA7-929D-4A61-92A6-BEDD06F97DEA.jpeg
    61196EA7-929D-4A61-92A6-BEDD06F97DEA.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 81
  • AB1A96FD-3FEF-4808-A197-0450DEE1337C.jpeg
    AB1A96FD-3FEF-4808-A197-0450DEE1337C.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 67
  • 6EBD3878-E0CE-4AF8-A590-E3C3CC9A0878.jpeg
    6EBD3878-E0CE-4AF8-A590-E3C3CC9A0878.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 6D3C4711-B128-4CA1-9CD8-9C0B1EB3F684.jpeg
    6D3C4711-B128-4CA1-9CD8-9C0B1EB3F684.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 101

hschrapel

Reaction score
Really? For example the 34 already has a 27.5" thigh, that's in line with most competitors in this space.
For me, personally, the best OTR trouser I've found is Natalino. Their sizing on a 34 (after converting cm to inch and doing the math) show 27.2" in the thigh circumference. But oddly enough, even compared to the latest batch of flannels & covert twills I purchased, they fit significantly roomier. I can't explain it

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport coat from S/S18 still unused and in need of tailoring, lol
View attachment 1592149
Whoa, the Rust Check, a Spier classic!
I just pulled mine out of storage for the season. Well worn it is.
Great ensemble as always. Is that jacket the linen from last season? Returned mine for fit reasons and now regret it. Great Spring colors

wheresbrando

Reaction score
Have been trying to make a purchase this morning and i keep getting a 404 error after selecting paypal or credit card - any ideas?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the linen overshirts seem to disappeared from the site :oops:
@spiermackay

the Di Fabio DB blazer as well, I noticed that one yesterday afternoon

Edit: the linen overshirts are on the site, search by new items or all outerwear

Last edited:

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I see there are now nine MTO sport coat templates (not sure how long that's been the case). Has there been any talk of adding an Ivy template? It's similar to the Neopolitan cut, obviously, but for us freaks who obsess over details it's not the same.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see there are now nine MTO sport coat templates (not sure how long that's been the case). Has there been any talk of adding an Ivy template? It's similar to the Neopolitan cut, obviously, but for us freaks who obsess over details it's not the same.

My hopsack Neo is as close as I've gotten, but if I could make it triple patch with flapped pockets, lapped seams, and a hook vent...yeah I'd be pretty stoked. I imagine the hook vent would be the biggest change to pattern

Click821

Reaction score
Same size in contemporary would need a tiny bit taken in at the waist. Neapolitan is supposed to be a slightly fuller cut as is.

Slim is a little slimmer overall compared to the Havana.
Thank you so much. That's super helpful, you guys are the best ?

alkydrinker

Reaction score
My hopsack Neo is as close as I've gotten, but if I could make it triple patch with flapped pockets, lapped seams, and a hook vent...yeah I'd be pretty stoked. I imagine the hook vent would be the biggest change to pattern

I would love to see all these ivy features as well.

Back on page 4179 you can see pics of my MTO attempt at something resembling ivy in green herringbone Harris Tweed. The most significant feature being flaps on patch hip pockets, but also I paired a 3/2 with the smaller standard lapels. Tho, as I noted in my older post, the pockets come up short on the ivy vibes without lapped seams.

The other feature I'd love to see (which I requested but was told it wasn't possible) is a throat latch. This would allow you to make kindof an English hacking jacket. Theoretically, a throat latch should be an easy feature to add, I see throat latches on cheap, mass produced jackets all the time. At the same time, if S&M isn't getting a bunch of requests, there probably wouldn't be the will to add the option. Tho, I bet if they added a removable throat latch to some RTW tweeds, it could spark a little wow factor to get ppl who already have some tweeds to reach in their wallets once again. And, if it's removable, it wouldn't be a deterrent to anyone who didn't like it.

Taking the hacking jacket theme one step further, would be adding an option for bellows hip pockets, which would be totally awesome.

Last edited:

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I would love to see all these ivy features as well.

Back on page 4179 you can see pics of my MTO attempt at something resembling ivy in green herringbone Harris Tweed. The most significant feature being flaps on patch hip pockets, but also I paired a 3/2 with the smaller standard lapels. Tho, as I noted in my older post, the pockets come up short on the ivy vibes without lapped seams.

A noble effort, but yeah, not quite there. I would think there'd be greater interest in a true Ivy template than some of the other nine templates currently offered, but maybe undarted/swelled edges/etc are too different or difficult to produce.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly because of the curtained waist. There is Interlining in the waist and the post wash, ironing is tricky. You can safely wash them at home in cold/air dry. Just be mindful of when you iron the waistband.

I'm back to asking questions about the Quest cotton trousers, because I'm impatient and looking forward to receiving the pairs I ordered lol. You mentioned the dress chinos are dry clean due to the curtained waist, but the Quest cotton ones are machine washable- does this mean the Quest ones don't have a curtained waist? Also, will these tend to wrinkle less easily/hold a crease more than standard chinos, since they appear from the pics to be a different (non-twill) weave?

Just trying to figure out what the care for these is like, since my experience with cotton trousers is limited to mainly chinos or dry clean only cotton blends with curtained waists.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A noble effort, but yeah, not quite there. I would think there'd be greater interest in a true Ivy template than some of the other nine templates currently offered, but maybe undarted/swelled edges/etc are too different or difficult to produce.

I'd add that I think a true undarted sack fit would be a niche enough item that it wouldn't sell well (maaaybe on AAAC, but they'd probably complain about it not being MiUSA). Seems like it'd need to be a super limited GMTO, but even then, a sack fit (and hook vent for that matter) would be a significant alteration to the standard cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads