• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

goodwillhinton

Reaction score
I need some sizing help. I have dropped 30 lbs since October which is necessitating a complete wardrobe overhaul. I used to wear a 44 jacket but went by a tailor and SuitSupply this weekend and discovered I am now a 40. I was able to find product measurements for the SuSu Havana jacket and see that it is identical to 40 at SM. I'm not finding any product measurements on the SuSu shirts however. I tried on a 15 3/4 Slim shirt at SuSu. Any ideas what this would translate into at SM?

Last edited:

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
I need some sizing help. I have dropped 30 lbs since October which is necessitating a complete wardrobe overhaul. I used to wear a 44 jacket but went by a tailor and SuitSupply this weekend and discovered I am now a 40. I was able to find product measurements for the SuSu Havana jacket and see that it is identical to 40 at SM. I'm not finding any product measurements on the SuSu shirts however. I tried on a 15 3/4 Slim shirt at SuSu. Any ideas what this would translate into at SM?
Your best bet is probably 16 slim, maybe extra slim. I take a 15.5 slim most times, but can get away with a 16 extra slim, thus, a 16 extra slim is probably too fitted for a 15.75 slim. For reference, I take a 15.5 slim in SuitSupply, so the two brand’s slims are pretty similar. I’d start with 16 slim, as the extra slim would probably just toe the line of too tight. You can always fine tune by adding darts.

motorchang

Reaction score
Had to look formal and conservative today so tried this suit combination for the first time. Guabello navy hopsack. I've actually had the trousers for a while. Then one day it dawned on me that I don't have the basic navy jacket or suit in my rotation and it might be a good idea to get this purchase out of the way to move further forward. So I started to look around and noticed that the same fabric was being offered as a jacket in both standard and Neo cut as well as DB, which will enable me to assemble a suit with the trouser. I went with the Neo 38 slim. Pretty happy with the fit unbuttoned but when buttoned, it seems a bit tighter around the waist than my other Neo jacket in the same size, forming a slight X crease. So I'm planning to let the back out a little more.

Shirt is the purple label royal twill. I think I'm getting the hang of ironing unfused collar little by little. It drove me absolutely crazy the first time I tried lol

Do the jacket sleeves look a little long? I've noticed that my arms are not the longest so figured that not too shortening them would be better for me proportion-wise although the chance of shirt cuffs showing gets slimmer this way.

Untitled 2.png

Untitled 3.png

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
Had to look formal and conservative today so tried this suit combination for the first time. Guabello navy hopsack. I've actually had the trousers for a while. Then one day it dawned on me that I don't have the basic navy jacket or suit in my rotation and it might be a good idea to get this purchase out of the way to move further forward. So I started to look around and noticed that the same fabric was being offered as a jacket in both standard and Neo cut as well as DB, which will enable me to assemble a suit with the trouser. I went with the Neo 38 slim. Pretty happy with the fit unbuttoned but when buttoned, it seems a bit tighter around the waist than my other Neo jacket in the same size, forming a slight X crease. So I'm planning to let the back out a little more.

Shirt is the purple label royal twill. I think I'm getting the hang of ironing unfused collar little by little. It drove me absolutely crazy the first time I tried lol

Do the jacket sleeves look a little long? I've noticed that my arms are not the longest so figured that not too shortening them would be better for me proportion-wise although the chance of shirt cuffs showing gets slimmer this way.

View attachment 1569779

View attachment 1569787
For business wear, your sleeves are appropriate. Contrast your sleeve against the ocean of men with fabric hanging down to their fingers, and you’re miles ahead without any alterations. It looks like the shirt cuff is sitting properly, so I might shorten the sleeves 1/4”, but it’s a pretty tiny alteration — and I find after you get moving throughout the day it’s not noticeable. A touch more shirt looks good in outfit photos, but in reality, when you’re reaching, walking, etc. there isn’t a super noticeable difference. How many times do you stand straight up with your arms at your side?

Love this outfit though, I will have to get me one of those shirts! The collar size is fantastic without being overly spread.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

View attachment 1569779

View attachment 1569787
i did the same thing. I bought the guabello hop sack jacket and decided to buy the pants to act as a suit in case I ever need to wear one. The fit looks good. You could shorten the sleeves but if you left them like that I don’t think it looks bad.

conak

Reaction score

View attachment 1569779

View attachment 1569787

Like most people on this forum I like to show some cuff, but if you are in a conservative professional environment you should leave the sleeves where they are, provided the length on your left sleeve is the same (my left arm is .5 inch shorter). High rise trousers and neo are already a bit of a statement for a conservative office.

motorchang

Reaction score
touch more shirt looks good in outfit photos, but in reality, when you’re reaching, walking, etc. there isn’t a super noticeable difference. How many times do you stand straight up with your arms at your side?

Love this outfit though, I will have to get me one of those shirts! The collar size is fantastic without being overly spread.
You're absolutely right. As a someone who's fairly green in this journey, I tend to sweat on one of these things from time to time. It's good to be reminded once in a while that I don't live in some sort of menswear lookbook of world. Love the size of the collar and the way they sit as well. Very rewarding shirt to wash and iron all by myself!

i did the same thing. I bought the guabello hop sack jacket and decided to buy the pants to act as a suit in case I ever need to wear one. The fit looks good. You could shorten the sleeves but if you left them like that I don’t think it looks bad.
Thanks for the endorsement. I gotta say it feels strangely good when you realize that an item you thought you're only going to wear as a separate could easily be turned in to a part of a suit all of a sudden!

Like most people on this forum I like to show some cuff, but if you are in a conservative professional environment you should leave the sleeves where they are, provided the length on your left sleeve is the same (my left arm is .5 inch shorter). High rise trousers and neo are already a bit of a statement for a conservative office.
Actually my office is quite relaxed. As long as you wear something that has a semblance of having collars and lapels, you're pass, and most of my colleagues do manage just as much lol But even then, high rise with pleats, 2 inch cuffs and big lapels are quite a stand out.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned mostly switching to Proper Cloth before but...

Fresh out of the box. This is also a cooper collar, the placket and collar is all completely one seamless piece. They pretty much nailed it. Fingers crossed nothing happens post-wash!

Shout out to Prabh, from S&M, for working through this with me.

I requested "Cooper collar" in the notes section.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned mostly switching to Proper Cloth before but...

Fresh out of the box. This is also a cooper collar, the placket and collar is all completely one seamless piece. They pretty much nailed it. Fingers crossed nothing happens post-wash!

Shout out to Prabh, from S&M, for working through this with me.

I requested "Cooper collar" in the notes section.

wow that turned out great, congrats

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help! I need too know where you measure your trousers for your inseam?

Now I Start at the top (Crotch)
20210308_151209.jpg

S$M Hemmed At 34inches,
20210308_151218.jpg
20210308_153844.jpg
20210308_153445.jpg

And end here at 34inches
20210308_151218.jpg

This is over 34inches (35)?

Asking for a 34 inseam, Fold to cuff at 2.5 inches = 31.5 inseam?
20210308_153844.jpg

32 1/8 inseam???

20210308_151218.jpg

This shoul be at 31.5
20210308_153844.jpg

I've pinned up to the 2.5 cuffs and this is the result!
20210308_153445.jpg

Now, I may be wrong and it won't be the last time, but where do you tape your inseam from? If I'm wrong, I can't use their service and If I'm right they can have the $8, because now they have to go the tailor again $15 and a week out!

Am I missing something here?

Konnor

Reaction score
Help! I need too know where you measure your trousers for your inseam?

Now I Start at the top (Crotch)
View attachment 1570221

S$M Hemmed At 34inches, View attachment 1570221
View attachment 1570224
View attachment 1570225
View attachment 1570228

And end here at 34inches
View attachment 1570224
This is over 34inches (35)?

Asking for a 34 inseam, Fold to cuff at 2.5 inches = 31.5 inseam?
View attachment 1570225
32 1/8 inseam???

View attachment 1570221

View attachment 1570224

This shoul be at 31.5
View attachment 1570225

I've pinned up to the 2.5 cuffs and this is the result!
View attachment 1570228

Now, I may be wrong and it won't be the last time, but where do you tape your inseam from? If I'm wrong, I can't use their service and If I'm right they can have the $8, because now they have to go the tailor again $15 and a week out!

Am I missing something here?
Are you adding 2.5 inches onto your inseam for the cuff? If so, you don’t need to do that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy