• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight, appreciate it. I love navy jackets, have several. As for the E. Thomas jacket, I have it as well. But this one seems to be more indigo/ink blue. I think it's more memorable/striking than your everyday navy jacket. Decisions, decisions...

Who doesn't love navy jackets? I have several as well. I agree that this one has a distinctly different shade of navy, but I feel like the texture and color shade of the E.Thomas is different enough from a typical navy hopsack that it serves almost exactly the same purpose that this Cerruti would. At least for my wardrobe.

Tamago

Reaction score
This might sound a dumb question, but just wanted to be sure before pulling the trigger:-
Considering the same jacket, same size and fit, say a “slim 36”. A 36S will come with a shorter length I can tell.
Will the waist button in the front be adjusted as well? For example a 36R the waist button will sit on my belly button, will 36S come upper than my belly button?
I am imagining if buttons are staying in same level, wouldn’t it look strange in terms of proportion, given the overall jacket is coming shorter?

Thanks in advance.

SumDude

Reaction score
I think it looks great. Definitely a more casual piece, but not so casual that it loses the incredible versatility of a textured navy/blue jacket. I much prefer this color shade over some of the bright navy hopsacks they've done in the past, for instance. I'd almost certainly buy it if I didn't already own the E.Thomas wool/silk/linen/cashmere hopsack. As far as the texture goes, I'd say it has a very similar level of formality to most wool-slik-linen blends.

I wonder how soft to the touch and how it would drape compared to the EThomas?

Imperatores

Reaction score
Considering the same jacket, same size and fit, say a “slim 36”. A 36S will come with a shorter length I can tell.
Will the waist button in the front be adjusted as well? For example a 36R the waist button will sit on my belly button, will 36S comes upper than my belly button?

The 36S will have a proportionally higher buttoning stance to match the shorter length.

I wonder how soft to the touch and how it would drape compared to the EThomas?

No idea, but I would be surprised if it's as soft as the E.Thomas. That is such a comfortable jacket. I could see the Cerruti draping slightly better and/or wrinkling a bit less, given it's 90% wool and 10% silk. At least over the course of a full days wear.

SumDude

Reaction score
No idea, but I would be surprised if it's as soft as the E.Thomas. That is such a comfortable jacket. I could see the Cerruti draping slightly better and/or wrinkling a bit less, given it's 90% wool and 10% silk. At least over the course of a full days wear.

That EThomas must feel amazing! I have something similar from SuSu and just love it. Thanks for the insight.

rdugz

Reaction score
Was hoping the Cerruti jacket would be part of a suit, sigh. Anyone know of any suits with a similar look / material content?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on this piece? Initially, I thought 'to much texture/mottling' which would render it too casual for me, but the more I'm looking at it, the more I'm liking the colour/shade. I can see it working perfectly with light and mid grey trousers and bordeaux/oxblood coloured shoes.
I think it looks great. Definitely a more casual piece, but not so casual that it loses the incredible versatility of a textured navy/blue jacket. I much prefer this color shade over some of the bright navy hopsacks they've done in the past, for instance. I'd almost certainly buy it if I didn't already own the E.Thomas wool/silk/linen/cashmere hopsack. As far as the texture goes, I'd say it has a very similar level of formality to most wool-slik-linen blends.
Who doesn't love navy jackets? I have several as well. I agree that this one has a distinctly different shade of navy, but I feel like the texture and color shade of the E.Thomas is different enough from a typical navy hopsack that it serves almost exactly the same purpose that this Cerruti would. At least for my wardrobe.
Is it possible to have too many navy jackets? The Cerruti and the diFabio twill DB have me mulling that one.

I love the look of the Cerruti. But I also have the eThomas which is a favorite piece. Both put me in mind of selvedge denim. Although the Cerruti leans a bit toward charcoal. It’s very tempting but overlaps. Verdict: wait to see the rest of the SS releases before pulling trigger.

SumDude

Reaction score
Is it possible to have too many navy jackets? The Cerruti and the diFabio twill DB have me mulling that one.

I love the look of the Cerruti. But I also have the eThomas which is a favorite piece. Both put me in mind of selvedge denim. Although the Cerruti leans a bit toward charcoal. It’s very tempting but overlaps. Verdict: wait to see the rest of the SS releases before pulling trigger.

I am waiting to see the sage and tobacco versions. Not sure which will be more versatile, the tobacco or the chocolate color. I also don't have a good navy summer SS yet. Might wind up with 4 here soon. ;)

Imperatores

Reaction score

I guess I'm trying to convince myself as much as anyone else that the Cerruti would be superfluous. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll conclude that the Cerruti is indeed completely different the very instant it goes on sale... The navy and bottle green fresco suits are my main temptations for now though.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does S&M offer custom or MTO cotton chinos? It's impossible to find good pant OTR with my body proportions.

vanmosh

Reaction score
I'm debating between the two Fox Air suits for a series of postponed weddings that will be taking place outdoors this summer. Curious to hear opinions on if the green muted enough not to stand out or should I go with the slightly safer tobacco? The dress code will be casual for each event, so I feel like I could even break up the green suit and tone it down with a stone or sand color trouser.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't already have a brown suit and/or brown summer trousers/jacket then go w/ the brown foxair. Very versatile as separates or a full suit.

pickergc

Reaction score
If you don't already have a brown suit and/or brown summer trousers/jacket then go w/ the brown foxair. Very versatile as separates or a full suit.
i generally agree, though I wish the color wasn't so ashy and was darker. I do want to buy it based on the inconsistancies with how products appear online vs. IRL

Something like:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads