• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gabagool

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm 5'8 ~120 lbs, and my measurements seem to be... smaller than the smallest size 14 1/2-32 oxfords on the site. Anyone a similar size here, and got any fit pics I can reference?

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm 5'8 ~120 lbs, and my measurements seem to be... smaller than the smallest size 14 1/2-32 oxfords on the site. Anyone a similar size here, and got any fit pics I can reference?

Smaller than the garment measurement? That’s very normal, in fact your body measurement should never be equal to the garment measurement. Choose the right neck size, and the body fit (extra slim, slim, contemporary) you’d like. Sounds like you might want to choose extra slim. The size chart will have a “Fits Up To” measurement, choose the one that your actual body measurement is smaller than, but closest to, for the slimmest fit.

Gabagool

Reaction score
Smaller than the garment measurement? That’s very normal, in fact your body measurement should never be equal to the garment measurement. Choose the right neck size, and the body fit (extra slim, slim, contemporary) you’d like. Sounds like you might want to choose extra slim. The size chart will have a “Fits Up To” measurement, choose the one that your actual body measurement is smaller than, but closest to, for the slimmest fit.

Cool, I just know I have a LL bean oxford that's size 14 1/2-33 that just fits... weird and baggy in the arms but square in the waist on me. I would be blind purchasing these shirts so I wanna be kinda sure. They're out of white oxfords in 14 1/2-32 right now anyways... Can anyone recommend the white royal twill as an alternative? No buttons on the collar is a bit of a turn off https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/white-royal-twill-srt-w-c13f5-k

SartorialSpyker

Reaction score
Cool, I just know I have a LL bean oxford that's size 14 1/2-33 that just fits... weird and baggy in the arms but square in the waist on me. I would be blind purchasing these shirts so I wanna be kinda sure. They're out of white oxfords in 14 1/2-32 right now anyways... Can anyone recommend the white royal twill as an alternative? No buttons on the collar is a bit of a turn off https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/white-royal-twill-srt-w-c13f5-k

Measure the shirt you currently have that doesn’t fit great, and choose the size that your shirt measurements correspond with. You can maybe knock a few CMs off in the stomach if the shirt you have fits baggy in the stomach.

The style of shirt you’re looking for is called a ‘button down collar’, and much more casual than the spread twill you linked. You can always go MTO (made to order) to tweak your measurements if you’d like, or to create something they don’t have it stock (although I would imagine they would restock soon, a white Oxford isn’t really a one off item)

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some pretty sweet deals right now on flannel/covert trousers. Markdowns of about 20%, and you can add the end-of-season 20% code on top of that.

I just ordered 2 flannel trousers and one wool/cotton blend. Do I need them? of course not :embar:
The wool cotton blend trousers are amazing. I have both the mid gray and the light brown, and have used them numerous times. Light enough to be versatile for at least three seasons.

NikG

Reaction score
I
The wool cotton blend trousers are amazing. I have both the mid gray and the light brown, and have used them numerous times. Light enough to be versatile for at least three seasons.
I ordered the light brown ones a couple days ago along with the dark brown Botto flannels. Was a bit hesitant because of the wool/cotton blend, but feeling reassured now that you mention those positives of the fabric. Is their anything that you dislike of the wool/cotton blend in comparison to a pure wool or wool/cashmere blend or wool/silk blend? Either way very keen to receive them, colour is very nice and seems quite versatile.

VincentVogan

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've noticed there are no long sizes for the slim fit jackets, only for contemporary fit. Do you have any idea why? I've searched this thread and online, but couldn't find an explanation.

Also, does anybody know if S&M has any plans of setting shop in Europe so shipping would be easier and faster?

Last edited:

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've noticed there are no long sizes for the slim fit jackets, only for contemporary fit. Do you have any idea why? I've searched this thread and online, but couldn't find an explanation.
The main difference between slim and contemporary is only about a half inch through the body. I would imagine it's simply managing the number of SKUs. Long sizes are a smaller percentage of sales, so why risk having inventory made up that is not likely to sell.

Plus, there should be some expectation for alterations when buying off the rack. A little nip/tuck in the sides of if you need it isn't overly invasive or expensive.

VincentVogan

Reaction score
1613998619023.png

Turns out there are long versions for slim fit sportcoats. But they don't show sized on the sizing page...

LE: Well, maybe they actually don't have:

1613998726019.png

Bacharini

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I had a quick question. I'm a size 40R contemporary jacket, should I go with a large in the knit polos? Appreciate any recommendations
Yes, at least large. I'm 40 contemporary suit jacket and the large is good if I don't wear anything under it. If you plan to wear a collared shirt under it I would get XL. My 2 cents.

motorchang

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to move the top button slightly inwards for shirt that is tight around the neck? My neck is between 15 and 15.5 and I always kinda struggle with it. I'd like to move the button on my 15 SM shirt(shown below with top button closed) so that it loosen around my neck a bit but afraid the gap might get too bit when I wear a tie. Any experience would be welcomed.

IMG_9201 2.JPG

Stylewords

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Also, does anybody know if S&M has any plans of setting shop in Europe so shipping would be easier and faster?
Yes, it's anno
The main difference between slim and contemporary is only about a half inch through the body. I would imagine it's simply managing the number of SKUs. Long sizes are a smaller percentage of sales, so why risk having inventory made up that is not likely to sell.

Plus, there should be some expectation for alterations when buying off the rack. A little nip/tuck in the sides of if you need it isn't overly invasive or expensive.
I've never bought a slim jacket as I need a long size, but I assume the sleeves and armhole are narrower on the slim versions. That would be a great relief as the armholes and sleeves are too big on the contemporary jackets. They could offer long slims in the major sizes: 38,40,42.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads