• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Konnor

Reaction score
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone had the same thoughts as me about the contemporary trousers (these are the Guabello denim blue).

The overall fit is good, but 1) may need a bit of taper (obviously hemming too), and more importantly 2) the area around the butt/upper right seems to be straight and not have any shape - perhaps the seats needs a bit of tightening?
Input appreciated. I've tried the slim (chinos) below but they were too tight for my liking.

Otherwise, good quality and looks good. Also a photo of what the denim blue looks like in close - material looks great in person, like a bright denim X twill. Will take more photos once everything is tailored.

Edit - should have clarified, I will also be letting out the waistband (bit tight ATM).
View attachment 1539267

View attachment 1539268
View attachment 1539269
View attachment 1539270
Definitely don't taper them.

EddieK

Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference in price is MTO vs MTM?
I'm assuming MTM is 20% more ?

ebayhtl

Reaction score
My own particular solution has been to order 1 size larger in the slim trousers, then just take in the waist.

The color looks great!
I'll second this recommendation as it is exactly what I do.
Thanks, you mean (e.g.) 32 to 33, correct?' I'm usually a 30 in most brands and unfortunately there's no 31 for these trousers, only 32...

I was mainly concerned about the roominess at back of thigh - but this morning I tried the trousers and pulled them higher, given they are meant to be high rise... And I think they fit better, so maybe it's just me getting used to Spier high rise trousers in contemporary (first time trying them). Still need to release the waistband by an inch (which will help with the seat as well), but think these are a keeper (although I will give the 32 slim a try next time).

The taper could be slightly more but given the difference is a quarter to half inch at most, I may skip that alteration for now.

Perhaps it's all part of getting used to a new cut, after getting used to Suitsupply and Ring Jacket in recent years...

Thanks for the input everyone!

Before pulling up properly...

IMG_20210119_105844~3.jpg

... After pulling up properly.

IMG_20210121_093157~2.jpg

Last edited:

JayDee90

Reaction score
Thanks, you mean (e.g.) 32 to 33, correct?' I'm usually a 30 in most brands and unfortunately there's no 31 for these trousers, only 32...

I was mainly concerned about the roominess at back of thigh - but this morning I tried the trousers and pulled them higher, given they are meant to be high rise... And I think they fit better, so maybe it's just me getting used to Spier high rise trousers in contemporary (first time trying them). Still need to release the waistband by an inch (which will help with the seat as well), but think these are a keeper (although I will give the 32 slim a try next time).

The taper could be slightly more but given the difference is a quarter to half inch at most, I may skip that alteration for now.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Before pulling up properly...

View attachment 1539628

... After pulling up properly.

View attachment 1539629
I think the back drape from this angle is the least of your worries. As others have mentioned, this looks small all over.

dangaa

Reaction score
Thanks, you mean (e.g.) 32 to 33, correct?' I'm usually a 30 in most brands and unfortunately there's no 31 for these trousers, only 3
Yes, one size larger than what your body measurements would line up with on Spier's size chart.

The net result is obviously subjective but as I prefer a slimmer cut over the equivalent contemporary in my true size going one size up in the slim fit bridges the difference in the cuts (for me at least).

The same applies to the high rise cut as well.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
I think the back drape from this angle is the least of your worries. As others have mentioned, this looks small all over.
Hopefully fit will be fixed once I let out the waist/seat by an inch - will get it done this weekend.

Yes, one size larger than what your body measurements would line up with on Spier's size chart.
Got it, I would have bought a 31 actually but unfortunately Spier doesn't offer it in this, so the jump from 30 to 32 seems a bit much... Will have to try next time.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
Received my cerruti. Honestly this SC is great and easily one of my favorite from the Fw20 collection at the moment. I would say the arms do feel a little snug like mentioned before But I don't plan to be doing much flexing(💪) so it'll be alright for me.

EddieK

Reaction score
Anyone here have lots of experience with Spier's MTO program?
I'm wondering if you can ask for shoulder slope change, sleeve pitch change, and specific chest measurements?

jtsc88

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the deal is with the fur on the parkas? I always feel a little weird about wearing fur
Any chance it is like special extra ethical fur ?
My personal hesitancy would be around the sourcing of the fur in term of ethics, not the fur itself.

Canada Goose is notorious for this with the coyote trapping debacle.

Though to argue against myself, I eat meat and wear leather, sooooo this may be splitting hairs.

Long time lurker. Created an account specifically so I could follow this thread for new sales lol.

I remember someone on their instagram addressing this question in a comment:
Instagram post here

The answer was "Recycled Raccoon fur. Repurposed from old fur coats".

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
The answer was "Recycled Raccoon fur. Repurposed from old fur coats".
That's smart. Nothing you can say is going to change the die-hards' minds anyway since they're not actually interested in improving things, just in breaking what's there. Having a messy discussion on social media, whose format is trash for nuanced discussion, will maybe not make them look more right, but would certainly make you look less right. Best to just tell them to fuck off right off the bat, and anyone who is truly serious can have an actual good-faith discussion here or in DMs or something.

osw880

Reaction score
Anyone with experience on Hopsack trousers?

I already owned a Filarte navy hopsack blazer, and I picked up the matching trousers during trouser liquidation (not shipped yet).

I have been reading that hopsack is not an ideal fabric for trousers, but at $49 it seems worth the risk.

I got mine in the mail today! The hopsack fabric isn't too thin at all. As another member mentioned, it is quite tightly woven and especially the deep, rich dark navy colour is super nice.

I typically buy stuff from Susu, but I have to say S&M's trousers are way better as I find Susu pants are a bit too tight.

Mid-grey and dark navy trousers for $110 CAD + tax... just an amazing deal. Thanks S&M.

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

wildcat10

Reaction score
I got mine in the mail today! The hopsack fabric isn't too thin at all. As another member mentioned, it is quite tightly woven and especially the deep, rich dark navy colour is super nice.

I typically buy stuff from Susu, but I have to say S&M's trousers are way better as I find Susu pants are a bit too tight.

Mid-grey and dark navy trousers for $110 CAD + tax... just an amazing deal. Thanks S&M.

View attachment 1539721
View attachment 1539722
Awesome! Good to hear the fabric isn't too thin and you are happy with the color.

Does the fabric exactly match the blazer?

No shipment notice for my trousers yet, looking forward to getting them

osw880

Reaction score
Awesome! Good to hear the fabric isn't too thin and you are happy with the color.

Does the fabric exactly match the blazer?

No shipment notice for my trousers yet, looking forward to getting them
I don't own the hopsack navy blazer from S&M, so I wouldn't know. Oh, also I really like the fact that this pair is high-rise.. super comfy!

I live in Toronto and that's probably why I got them so quickly. Hopefully you will receive them soon!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.