• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ULCajun

Reaction score
Question on the peacoat- does the middle left button stitching go through the chest pocket? Basically splitting the left hand when in the pocket. I tried a different size last year but don’t necessarily remember that

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally had time today to unpack the Angelico green tweed I purchased at the end of boxing day sale.

I went back and forth on this one a lot, mainly because I thought maybe it was TOO green, based on the website pictures. Now that I have it in front of me, it is definitely not too green. The green is a lot more subtle, a lot darker than in the S&M website. If you are on the fence because you think it might be too green, don't worry.

The fabric is beautiful, very smooth, and it feels a lot lighter than the Moon tweeds. That's good for me, as I'll get more wear out of it through the year.

Thank you to @1st Step and others who have posted pictures of it before.

View attachment 1537113View attachment 1537118
You Nailed (Very Smooth) The Description, And Thank you!

jrdngr

Reaction score
Question on the peacoat- does the middle left button stitching go through the chest pocket? Basically splitting the left hand when in the pocket. I tried a different size last year but don’t necessarily remember that
No, doesn’t go through.

Jlee80

Reaction score
There's a lot of things you can add or change in notes people don't realize.
One of the reasons I love Spier
Does anyone know or has anyone had sleeve alterations done on a suit jacket by entering your specifications in the notes?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know or has anyone had sleeve alterations done on a suit jacket by entering your specifications in the notes?
I believe they aren't at the capacity to do this right now, but I believe it is to be added sometime this year on the website

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw the Grey Herringbone Overcoat back in stock in my size after it sold out quickly. Decided to sleep on it like all my purchases. Woke up and knew I wanted it, so went to buy it and someone happened to buy my size in it. Curse you whoever stole it from me 😂
Now contemplating the Balmacaan, but unsure if I like the Charcoal Herringbone

JIMIG

Reaction score
Found this among the MTO suit fabrics. How do you think mocklino trousers would look? I guess my question is what do you guys think is the better blazer suit material: traditional fresco or mocklino?

Attachments

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if SM will hem the casual chinos that are on Clearance? The Tailoring drop-down is not shown on the webpages for the chinos, as it is for the dress trousers, which implies that they do not want to hem chinos.

conak

Reaction score
Have you done this successfully? I have a good tailor and have no problem taking jackets to her to get the sleeves shortened or getting pants hemmed, but shortening shirt sleeves from the top just seems like a lot. Also, getting a $50 from from SM and then spending--what?--$30 to get the sleeves shortened seems to be kind of silly to me. It'd be cheaper to buy MTM.
You don't need to shorten a shirt from the shoulder. You can:

1. remove the cuff and sleeve placket,
  2. trim to length,
  3. expand the slit upward equal length as was trimmed,
  4. reattach pieces (in reverse order)
A lazy tailor will just cut the sleeve without removing the packet and reattach the cuff, which looks terrible unless you never remove your jacket. But the process above is only slightly more work.

Reaction score
Saw the Grey Herringbone Overcoat back in stock in my size after it sold out quickly. Decided to sleep on it like all my purchases. Woke up and knew I wanted it, so went to buy it and someone happened to buy my size in it. Curse you whoever stole it from me 😂
Now contemplating the Balmacaan, but unsure if I like the Charcoal Herringbone
I got the Balmacaan about a month ago. Fantastic!

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Where the waist sits on the body is a question anatomical. Whether someone wants trousers that sit on, above, or below that point is up to them.

But many people seem to think that having trousers sit at their proper waist is 'high-rise,' so in that sense I suppose it is.

Trousers that sit at the waist generally look odd without something to cover them, IMO. But they look much better with a jacket, and don't fall down.
so if your waist is 2 inches above your belly button, where do you, personally where your pants?

I realize that if we go by that metric by jackets are really close to my natural waist but then my pants sit 3-5” below!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy