• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting--I'd never seen it before and must have missed it. It's really nice.
It crossed my mind last month but ended up acquiring the RTW version for F/W. But the more I look at it, the more I'm liking it. Especially for S/S. It adds yet another dimension with the navy. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.

mbb355

Reaction score
It crossed my mind last month but ended up acquiring the RTW version for F/W. But the more I look at it, the more I'm liking it. Especially for S/S. It adds yet another dimension with the navy. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.
It also seems kind of rare. It's not often you find a lightweight houndstooth suitable for spring/summer.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also seems kind of rare. It's not often you find a lightweight houndstooth suitable for spring/summer.
It does have the same colour scheme as both the E.Thomas brown gun check and E.Thomas faded gun check which I already have. But as you said, this one is kind of rare...
79479-1-24522-1.jpg
79425-4-5.jpg

mbb355

Reaction score
It does have the same colour scheme as both the E.Thomas brown gun check and E.Thomas faded gun check which I already have. But as you said, this one is kind of rare...
View attachment 1507785View attachment 1507786
Not sure about the bottom gun check. I am familiar with the top one and think the houndstooth is different enough for two reasons. First, the top gun check is warm in tone, with a yellowish-brown base. The houndstooth is cooler in tone, with a grayish-beige base. Second, the top gun check is predominantly silk/linen, if I remember correctly. The houndstooth is 100% wool. So it will be a little sleeker, and less slubby. In fact, while the top gun club is pretty much exclusively a S/S jacket, the houndstooth is probably more suitable for year-round wear.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the bottom gun check. I am familiar with the top one and think the houndstooth is different enough for two reasons. First, the top gun check is warm in tone, with a yellowish-brown base. The houndstooth is cooler in tone, with a grayish-beige base. Second, the top gun check is predominantly silk/linen, if I remember correctly. The houndstooth is 100% wool. So it will be a little sleeker, and less slubby. In fact, while the top gun club is pretty much exclusively a S/S jacket, the houndstooth is probably more suitable for year-round wear.
You are correct on all points. I'm trying to find a way out, but you're not giving me any option. Enabler...

Ladislav

Reaction score
Fit looks good. Minimal shrinkage. I suspect that some people use a different definition of "cold wash" and "hang dry" when they claim excessive shrinkage.
So speaking of hang dry, do You spin it or You just remove the access of water by hand?

hschrapel

Reaction score
Fit looks good. Minimal shrinkage. I suspect that some people use a different definition of "cold wash" and "hang dry" when they claim excessive shrinkage.
Yeah, what defined a "cold wash"? As per guidance in this thread to cold wash, I set my washing machine to its minimum temp, being 30 degrees, and so far not much shrinkage on a few things. Is there a better way? By hand?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is not feeling the new padded-shoulder/flap-pocket sportcoats? It's a formal style that doesn't look right in plaid, multicolored fabrics. I'm also not sure of this style more generally. At that point, why not wear a suit? I don't see the need for these kinds of formal English-style sportcoats when the softer, Italian style is so much more attractive and versatile.
Exactly, why not a suit? And so English it's like going back to 10 years ago. It's good that there is an alternative to those wanting more structure but the flap pockets plus the fabric choices killed it. I'd have gotten some if patched.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So speaking of hang dry, do You spin it or You just remove the access of water by hand?
Usually by hang dry, if it is a woven material you can place it on a hanger in a room and it will be dry in a few hours. If it is knit, like a sweater or polo, usually better to dry flat. If you wash things in the washing machine, usually the spin cycle gets rid of all the excess water.
Yeah, what defined a "cold wash"? As per guidance in this thread to cold wash, I set my washing machine to its minimum temp, being 30 degrees, and so far not much shrinkage on a few things. Is there a better way? By hand?
I think better is to say a ‘delicate’ wash. So lowest temperature setting and lowest spin setting. This should clean garment and reduce shrinkage to a minimum

Joefitz

Reaction score
I want to order a Navy suit. They have three suits tilted "Navy". Does anybody know the difference?

Two seen to be the same with 100% Australian wool with no fabric name. One says Dino Filarte. That is $20 more

dluce76

Reaction score
Interesting--I'd never seen it before and must have missed it. It's really nice.
@DonRaphael

Strange coincidence. I've been eyeing this one for a while, specifically for a spring/summer sport coat. The price is really phenomenal.

I liked it so much that I just ordered it MTO today with the 15% off. I was back and forth between getting a full suit and just a sport coat, but ultimately opted for the sport coat only as I wasn't sure how the fabric would hold up for trousers.

Happy to share pics when it comes in in 6-8 weeks.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.