• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of SM winter jackets that I want to get in more lux fabric blends. Specifically the safaris and that coat. Let's say a 50/50 wool cashmere blend. Or for summer an E Thomas linen wool silk blend. Would be a good entry point for most to start wearing anything other than sportjackets.

dangaa

Reaction score
There are lots of SM winter jackets that I want to get in more lux fabric blends. Specifically the safaris and that coat. Let's say a 50/50 wool cashmere blend. Or for summer an E Thomas linen wool silk blend. Would be a good entry point for most to start wearing anything other than sportjackets.
Please no.

This means i'll have to spend more money ;)

Beav

Reaction score
Yeah I agree - the safari has a lot of potential to be done in seasonal fabrics. I was thinking a linen would be awesome.

mbb355

Reaction score
I bought the Spier navy overcoat and the black pea coat from F/W 2019. I wear the overcoat all the time but returned the pea coat. The difference came down to the fabric. The overcoat’s indulgent wool/cashmere was a pleasure to wear and draped beautifully, while the pea coat’s scratchy, spongey wool was a chore. I’ve seen others here swear by Spier’s pea coat, I don’t quite get it.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@XxLogo I think the only SB coat I find wearable in winter are Balmacaans due to how high they button up.

Standard SB coats with a lapel look like the chest is far too deep to provide any warmth. They look cool though.
E. Thomas blend in safari jacket? I didn't even know I wanted this, but I do now.

gackt

Reaction score
I've been wanting a long belted coat the past few winters but kept passing up nice offerings from Camoshita and the like due to price. I think I'll finally go for the balmacaan though, just need to decide whether to size up.

It'll go nicely with the navy shawl cardigan I ordered a couple weeks back.

postjack

Reaction score
about to admit my sartorial ignorance. just received my first pair of high rise trousers w/ side tabs (mid grey flannel). i was mystified when i couldn't find any belt loops, and it dawned on me that you aren't supposed to wear a belt when you have side adjusters lol. which is exciting to me because as much as i love the look of a good belt, functionally they are always a pain in the ass. these trousers with the higher rise will stay put just fine without a belt.

i love the trousers, and the waist fits me perfectly. i think i'll be buying a lot more high rise S&M trousers moving forward.

in this same shipment was a cable knit sweater. i'd ordered one in large a few weeks back but returned it because it was too big on me. it was certainly cozy but just felt a little too slouchy. i'm bigger, 185 lbs 41" chest, but i like a sweater to be a little bit more form fitting. the medium will work better for me.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Spier navy overcoat and the black pea coat from F/W 2019. I wear the overcoat all the time but returned the pea coat. The difference came down to the fabric. The overcoat’s indulgent wool/cashmere was a pleasure to wear and draped beautifully, while the pea coat’s scratchy, spongey wool was a chore. I’ve seen others here swear by Spier’s pea coat, I don’t quite get it.
It looks wicked cool with the collar popped up. That ulster collar is so good. Hand warmer pockets are good, too. It's my transitional winter stage 1 to winter stage 2 coat.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for following up! I see you have a furry friend (in the background). Does the fabric on the coat seem to attract fur? Looking for something that I won't have to lint roll every time I wear it...
Unless they changed the fabric on this years to better repel fur, whenever I took the coat out of the closet the fur from the fur trim would be all over the coat along with animal hair from around the house. With it being navy also, didn’t help because you could see it all 😅
I never tried the first version, the cloth is said to be updated on this years parka. I can confirm though, it does pick of fur pretty easily.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for those asking about Balmacaan sizing, I went up to a 42 in last years. It fits snug in the shoulders and upper back, the sleeves were short and needed to be lengthened even on the size up. I actually could have gone up to a 44 but knew the length would then really not work for me.

I did confirm the sleeves on this new one have been lengthened, and they added more room to the upper back/shoulder. I wouldn't mind if the sleeve strap was a touch wider and lower, but that's minor. I'll try a 42 again in the new one.

Here's a pic I had on the phone from last years

7984EEAC-1D58-452B-98F3-5141556492FA.JPG

mbb355

Reaction score
And for those asking about Balmacaan sizing, I went up to a 42 in last years. It fits snug in the shoulders and upper back, the sleeves were short and needed to be lengthened even on the size up. I actually could have gone up to a 44 but knew the length would then really not work for me.

I did confirm the sleeves on this new one have been lengthened, and they added more room to the upper back/shoulder. I wouldn't mind if the sleeve strap was a touch wider and lower, but that's minor. I'll try a 42 again in the new one.

View attachment 1506166
Did the collar on the balmacaan stand up well and hold its shape? Some similar collars can be a little flimsy or floppy. Love the look of the bal with the collar up

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1506166
Rick recommended on Instagram to order the same size as sportcoat to wear over top. Size up if you hit the gym haha.

mbb355

Reaction score
Rick recommended on Instagram to order the same size as sportcoat to wear over top. Size up if you hit the gym haha.
Yeah the website itself says the same. But the website and Spier also gave this advice for last season’s overcoat, and as I noted the overcoat was still just a touch snug. Though as I also noted, this bal seems to have a more generous fit than the overcoat anyway, plus they made it even more generous this year relative to last, which leads me to believe that taking your sportcoat size is the way to go.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.