• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of this (Riva) Young Man, I've avoided, (Dino Filarte) this fabric! Call Me Crazy! :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:
You are saved my friend while just yesterday I'm wondering how to get rid of the 2 brand new Filarte travel suits. The Filarte tropical fabrics are ok though since thinner. This season's travel jacket SM uses Zignone thus increased price. I expect it to be much better so you guys should keep a close eye on those (and any disc).

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riva has strong opinions, but it's equally rude to just dismiss his statements like that every single time.
Nobody’s dismissing @Riva ‘s (over 4000) statements every single time. @masernaut did twice, so far. And somebody else made a hilarious clown meme when his pomposity became completely unbearable. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that meme.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody’s dismissing @Riva ‘s (over 4000) statements every single time. @masernaut did twice, so far. And somebody else made a hilarious clown meme when his pomposity became completely unbearable. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that meme.
I didn't mind the clown meme and thought it was funny too. I think it's pretty obvious to Riva by now that some people think he's pompous, but I don't see how him saying that the armholes are lower than SuitSupply merits a douchey "Cool story bro" twice. Gee, that's super helpful for people interested in Spier or Rick. If a poster is being pompous, sure go ahead and flame them, but don't do it when they're not making jackass statements. This is Styleforum on an suit affiliate thread, are we really going to shame people for saying they bought 11 sportscoats?

Just like the trouser fit discussion and how Rick is releasing an extra slim cut due to customer demand, a higher armhole option would be really helpful for me. I have received comments from friends saying the upper sleeves on Spier suits look disproportionate from the rest of the jacket. It's particularly noticeable in lighter color fabrics compared with navy or dark gray.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mind the clown meme and thought it was funny too. I think it's pretty obvious to Riva by now that some people think he's pompous, but I don't see how him saying that the armholes are lower than SuitSupply merits a douchey "Cool story bro" twice. Gee, that's super helpful for people interested in Spier or Rick. If a poster is being pompous, sure go ahead and flame them, but don't do it when they're not making jackass statements. This is Styleforum on an suit affiliate thread, are we really going to shame people for saying they bought 11 sportscoats?

Just like the trouser fit discussion and how Rick is releasing an extra slim cut due to customer demand, a higher armhole option would be really helpful for me. I have received comments from friends saying the upper sleeves on Spier suits look disproportionate from the rest of the jacket. It's particularly noticeable in lighter color fabrics compared with navy or dark gray.
cool story bro

flahertongs

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, yes, they’re the same - I see no difference at all. I can share pics in daylight of the two pieces next to each other if that helps.

I also have the grey Donegal jacket from 2018 and this years trouser, again I see no difference in them.
Would you mind posting a picture of the gray Donegal jacket?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have prior experience with mills changing fabric codes? Spier & Mackay offered this sport coat in the F/W season of 2018. It's a Abraham Moon (dark) brown herringbone tweed: (courtesy @Burzan).
According to the tag of the jacket, the fabric code reads PS370 2000/16. Interestingly, when I look for that code at Moon's website, I'm getting a match for a dark ginger fabric that's orange-ish: https://www.moons.co.uk/furnishings/domestic/sartorial-wools/shetland-twill/ps370-2000-16-dark-ginger/

They can't possibly be the same fabric. On another hand, I found a dark brown mix herringbone fabric that looks very similar to the jacket in question, but the fabric code reads PS370 2002-17 instead of PS370 2000-16: https://www.moons.co.uk/product/dark-brown-mix-2/

It may not be the same fabric, but it looks very similar. Spier & Mackay have said that they'll try to look into it, but I was interested in knowing if anyone has experience with mills changing fabric codes.

Alternatively, if someone else has the Abraham Moon brown herringbone jacket from F/W18 and was willing to share the fabric code inside the jacket pocket, it'd be appreciated. Maybe there was some kind of typo with the fabric code with one/some jackets.

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my first S&M suit - Navy slim fit - Fabric: Dino Filarte - size 36.

At $200USD, its a great price but us Australians also incur a $40USD shipping cost.

I'm happy and surprised that the armholes are are very large relative to SuitSupply.

View attachment 1505551
Nice fit, you’ll enjoy the S&M journey. Next up is to get a shirt with a nice large collar ;)

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think anyone should be up for a higher armhole, especially on the slim fit. Not only does it look better, it feels better with better mobility. Will Rick do it? Maybe eventually as an experiment. Will I stop buying S&M Sport coat’s because of it? Hell no 😂
So, I agree with @Riva

nevaeh

Reaction score
At the risk of stepping smack dab into the middle of a heated debate here, I would like to ask a question about larger armholes. Is the discussion here referring to the same concept as “high armholes” often mentioned elsewhere? I am curious why some here consider larger armholes good for RTW, when one of the factors repeatedly cited as a benefit of bespoke is the availability of high armholes (which I may be mistakenly presuming as being smaller) with the latter?

I have no agendas or preferences; simply, I’m asking because I’m learning about this and would like to learn more!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of stepping smack dab into the middle of a heated debate here, I would like to ask a question about larger armholes. Is the discussion here referring to the same concept as “high armholes” often mentioned elsewhere? I am curious why some here consider larger armholes good for RTW, when one of the factors repeatedly cited as a benefit of bespoke is the availability of high armholes (which I may be mistakenly presuming as being smaller) with the latter?

I have no agendas or preferences; simply, I’m asking because I’m learning about this and would like to learn more!
I would say OTR/RTW companies go with larger arm holes simply for the fact that it can fit the most body types in one size. S&M definitely has smaller armholes compared to cheap mall brands, but will never be the likes of bespoke. You have the think, the higher you raise the armhole means the less amount of people you can fit in that size so it means less sales. However, if it is too large of an armhole, people who know about it won’t buy it because they know it doesn’t look or feel good. You have to find the balance between armhole size and the amount of people you can fit and sell to. I think Rick has found a nice middle ground here, but still could be a touch smaller.

throwawaytf02

Reaction score
Got my first S&M orders from the sport coat liquidation sale.
I got the Navy Blazer in 40s and the mid blue fun looking one in 40s as well.
I have a question (I'm new to dressing like this) - the fit is great - length, shoulders, etc. But I noticed the armholes are tight on me. When driving home last night, the armhole was literally stabbing my armpit. Did I buy the wrong size? Is this something worth getting tailored or should I try to return it?
Thanks for the advice!

PS, anyone buy the down parka? It looks sick and was thinking of grabbing the Navy one during the BF sale.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.