• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted, and where you will find more and more great sales posted as Black Friday approacheds, HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pickergc

Reaction score
Can someone give me some casual and black tie creative ideas with the velvet burgundy dinner jacket
Black turtle neck is about the best I can come up with. That should cover you...it's casual and still can be sharp, though not traditional black-tie, obviously.

I'm stretching myself here, but a black knit t-shirt and black jeans with black loafers could possibly be done, but with both of these and any derivations, you start to get into "cool Santa" territory.

1601297236156.png

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, what? No. Just no.
Mon Frere, live a little

Black turtle neck is about the best I can come up with. That should cover you...it's casual and still can be sharp, though not traditional black-tie, obviously.

I'm stretching myself here, but a black knit t-shirt and black jeans with black loafers could possibly be done, but with both of these and any derivations, you start to get into "cool Santa" territory.

View attachment 1466990
Perfect for the holidays!

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Have received my first spier & mackay suit. Outrageously soft, I feel like the construction is even softer than SuitSupply's? Loving the jacket length and the button stance...button stance felt a bit low at first but then I realized it was precisely at my natural waist around 1 inch above my belly button. guess I was just too used to super trendy high button stances

Will post photos soon, needs a lot of work at the tailor for sleeve/trouser length and nipping in the waist but otherwise everything else fits very well

nevaeh

Reaction score
I had my tailor convert a few S&M trousers from belt loops to side tabs. He used excess fabric from the hem and did a fantastic job. I’m slowly but surely becoming a bigger and bigger fan of side tabs.

Attachments

XxLogo

Reaction score
I had my tailor convert a few S&M trousers from belt loops to side tabs. He used excess fabric from the hem and did a fantastic job. I’m slowly but surely becoming a bigger and bigger fan of side tabs.
How much did this run you?? I am considering doing the same as I much prefer side tabs over wearing a belt for formal wear, and most S&M suit pants come with belt loops lol

dapperclassic

Reaction score
Amazing job! I've been thinking of doing this too but I like to have the trousers cuffed and guess there isn't enough excess for both cuffs and side tabs.

nevaeh

Reaction score
How much did this run you?? I am considering doing the same as I much prefer side tabs over wearing a belt for formal wear, and most S&M suit pants come with belt loops lol
I completely agree. S&M should offer more trouser options with side tabs with their RTW selection. This was not cheap; it ran me around $35 per trouser. But I picked up these trousers during the clearance sale, so it made a little more financial sense to splurge on tailoring for these trousers.

Amazing job! I've been thinking of doing this too but I like to have the trousers cuffed and guess there isn't enough excess for both cuffs and side tabs.
That's the one issue with the after-market modification. My tailor said it's a choice between either cuffs or side tabs. He needs about 3-4 inches of material to form the side tabs, and then there isn't enough left for cuffs.

Last edited:

mak1277

Reaction score
I completely agree. S&M should offer more trouser options with side tabs with their RTW selection. This was not cheap; it ran me around $35 per trouser. But I picked up these trousers during the clearance sale, so it made a little more financial sense to splurge on tailoring for these trousers.
I suspect this falls squarely in the "SF buyer vs. 'nomal' buyer" difference. I don't think I've seen 5 people in my entire life wearing side tabs in real life. I would be that the majority of S&M's customers strongly prefer belt loops.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I suspect this falls squarely in the "SF buyer vs. 'nomal' buyer" difference. I don't think I've seen 5 people in my entire life wearing side tabs in real life. I would be that the majority of S&M's customers strongly prefer belt loops.
That's a fair point and I can see why they maintain belt loops as a primary offering. I ask for side tabs for entirely selfish reasons!

I'm curious, though, to know the breakdown with S&M customer base between normal and style-conscious folks. In previous interviews, I remember Rick mentioning that SF is a major marketing effort for them.

XxLogo

Reaction score
I feel like this is due to the fact that most people wear pants that are a size or two too big in the waist and need a belt to keep it up, or the fact that a majority of people don’t know what side tabs even are, and everyone knows what belt loops are.

I think if most people knew what side tabs are and how it’s much easier to adjust to small weighty fluctuations and don’t have to buy a nice leather belt, they would opt for them over belt loops.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's