• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

klcr

Reaction score
hopped on the custom sale - went for a peak lapel grey prince of wales :cool:
never had anything made custom before - psyched

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're more fashion pleats than anything functional, but then again I prefer double forward pleats.

On a trouser note, I'm evaluating MTO fabrics in the current promotion. How would those of you who have the filarte fabrics such as the light gray tropical or travel wool say they compare to Spier's higher end choices (guabello, VBC, etc)?

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
hopped on the custom sale - went for a peak lapel grey prince of wales :cool:
never had anything made custom before - psyched
I did a MTO charcoal sharkskin in late August, taking advantage of the free canvas upgrade, so I'm crossing my fingers it arrives by mid October 🤞🏻

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what is this and why does it look like something I’d want 👀
That sounds like the mythical "Bleeding Madras" of old that no longer exists.

"Madras’ big moment came with a 1958 fiasco when a fabric exporter failed to explain to Brooks Brothers that the 10,000 yards of Madras they’d bought were going to fade. When consumers all over the country began angrily writing to Brooks Brothers complaining that their new jackets and trousers were fading and bleeding, the company summoned the exporter, Mr. Nair, to the United States to punish him.

But Nair deftly redirected their anger with an interview with Seventeen Magazine, in which he lauded the fading quality of this miracle fabric from India. Add some coverage by Esquire and Brooks Brothers had a huge phenomenon on their hands. Advertisers started praising the “marvelously muted” and “dustily well-bred” qualities of the Madras trousers and jackets. Before beat-up jeans were considered acceptable, a well-faded “Guaranteed to Bleed” Madras shirt conveyed a certain nonchalance that Ivy Leaguers loved. The reactive, unstable organic dyes that were nearly Madras’ downfall were eagerly accepted and Madras proved an enduring American classic.
"

I still find it fascinating how a 'flaw' of bleeding and fading was marketed and flipped into being a desirable trait, and it worked!

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Sounds like something you could ask for in comment during MTO -- are you speaking about MTO trousers, or OTR?
Their OTR trousers have small tiny pleats. I haven't tried to order a pair of mto trousers from them. Hopefully, bigger pleats could be added if I put it in the comment?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christmas came early this year. Almost a dozen SCs waiting to be unpacked 😎🥳
Unpacked. Majority Spier & Mackay with the occasional Corneliani, Belvest, Zegna, Kiton, Canali, Caruso and Suit Supply. Still missing space for a half dozen more though, plus the 3 incoming MTOs.
IMG_20200926_112206.jpg

Yinzer

Reaction score
Does anyone have irl pics of this green Drago hopsack?
I have this one dropped off for adjustments and can post photos when it's back. Initially took some bad quality try on photos but you can't distinguish the texture and the white and green threads, which doesn't do it justice.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unpacked. Majority Spier & Mackay with the occasional Corneliani, Belvest, Zegna, Kiton, Canali, Caruso and Suit Supply. Still missing space for a half dozen more though, plus the 3 incoming MTOs.View attachment 1465655
How have you organized? Alphabetically by first letter of fabric? Alphabetically by color? Autobiographical?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's